Notifications
Clear all

Generic Tretinoin *exactly* The Same As Retin-A Micro?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/08/2014 10:32 am

My physician's asst. wrote me a script for Retin-A Micro (0.04%) but checked the "may substitute" box on the form; so I wound up with the generic form of Tretinoin Microsphere Gel (0.04%). Does anyone know if they're really, truly the same thing?

I know that it seems like a silly question, but I've heard that certain generic oral drugs have been found to be less effective than their brand-name counterparts; for me, that calls into question the effective of any generic drugs, even topical ones.

Thank you,

PI

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/16/2014 8:55 am

It's the same active ingredient

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/16/2014 9:45 am

It's the same active ingredient

I know, but as I mentioned, some oral drugs--even though they supposedly have the same active ingredient(s)--are being found to be less effective than their brand-name counterparts. It got me to thinking that maybe generic Tretinoin might be less effective, if only because different inactive ingredients may make it work less effectively.

But I already have the unopened tube of generic Tretinoin, so I might as well give it a go. I'm guessing it'll work as intended. But I know that if I dislike it, I could always switch to Retin-A Micro.

MemberMember
(@leanna123)

Posted : 05/17/2014 9:13 am

From my experience, the generic is exactly the same as the brand name. :)

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/17/2014 9:49 am

From my experience, the generic is exactly the same as the brand name.

Excellent! I definitely will give it go. 🙂