Notifications
Clear all

Cleanser Recommendations?

MemberMember
(@figuringitoutx)

Posted : 04/10/2014 10:32 pm

So, long story short, I'm struggling to find a cleanser that works with my skin and I"m at my wits end.

I've had acne since I was about 12 or 13. It's never been really severe looking back on it and now that I'm past puberty it's evened out a good deal, I only break out every now and again.

I'd describe my skin as combo (oily T-zone mainly nose area & forehead.) it's not too dry but it's also not super oily. Anyway, I would say it's sensitve to some things and prone to breakouts.

I've been washing with cetaphil gentle cleanser for a while but was noticing some clogged pores and blackheads, so I decided to go to the oil free acne wash wich was a big mistake as it broke my skin out horribly and made it super red and just dry. Got rid of that. For thep ast few days I've been using the Purpose Gentle cleansing bar which feels fine when I use it but my face feels dry and tight after I wash and there's a slight burning sensation when I apply my moisturizer and it feels dry still even though I applied moisturizer?

So anyway, my question is, can anybody recommend a basic, no frills cleanser that is preferably in the drug store for this type of skin? I've got my moisturizers that work well for me and I use witch hazel every night to tone, but the cleanser is giving me major issues. I've tried: Purpose (both wash and bar.) Cetaphil (Daily facial & Gentle cleansing.) Neutrogena Oil fre acne wash. Neutrogena Deep Clean cream cleanser. Noxzema (this worked the best but I dont' like dipping my hands into a container.) & a few others.

MemberMember
(@sinderella)

Posted : 04/11/2014 10:40 am

Have you tried CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser or CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser? I like the Foaming Facial Cleanser, but I have wickedly dry skin from acne meds, so the foaming dries me out too much.. it might work for you though, since you're combo. The Hydrating Cleanser is amazing. It's almost like a lotion/gel consistency, and doesn't irritate at all. I have very sensitive/acne prone skin and neither has ever broken me out.

MemberMember
(@streetwaver)

Posted : 04/12/2014 3:56 pm

I was using the same Purpose Cleanser for a little while and had a similar experience. Before that, I had used Clenziserm's Salicylic acid cleanser but that was a bit too harsh/drying. I have oily skin, by the way.

The absolute best cleanser I have found is charcoal soap. It's been cleaning my skin a lot better than the Purpose, there's zero irritation, and it doesn't dry my skin out. Plus, it's probably even more economical. I've had acne for 10 years (since I was around 14) and I don't think I'll ever feel the need to experiment with other cleansers again.

You can find the brand I use on Amazon: "Sumi Haigou Settuken". It's about $9 for three bars, and each one should last several months. I swear by it. Smells pretty cool too.

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 04/12/2014 4:40 pm

You should try Neutrogena's Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser. It is inexpensive, fragrance-free, doesn't have parabens, doesn't over-dry, and is an overall good face wash. I convinced my friend to buy it, and she loves it! You can buy it at any drugstore, even Wal-Mart. It's better to have a liquid face wash because soap bars are cause drying and irritation to your face.

MemberMember
(@streetwaver)

Posted : 04/12/2014 4:42 pm

You should try Neutrogena's Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser. It is inexpensive, fragrance-free, doesn't have parabens, doesn't over-dry, and is an overall good face wash. I convinced my friend to buy it, and she loves it! You can buy it at any drugstore, even Wal-Mart. It's better to have a liquid face wash because soap bars are cause drying and irritation to your face.

Just for the record, soap bars meant for the face are not drying/irritating like body soap bars are.

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 04/12/2014 4:44 pm

Just for the record, soap bars meant for the face are not drying/irritating like body soap bars are.

I'm just repeating what Dan said

MemberMember
(@curiousgeorgie)

Posted : 04/13/2014 11:57 pm

I have sensitive, blemish-prone and seriously combo skin and have been using Avene's Cleanance Soapless Gel for a while now after reading so many positive reviews about it being THE thing for combo skin and I have to say for once I've not been disappointed! It's basically like an angel has washed my face :) It's lovely and mild and really does seem to balance out my skin instead of leaving it feeling dry like a lot of products, plus its non-comedogenic, hyperallergenic and paraben-free and all that jazz. It's not the cheapest but a little goes a long way.

MemberMember
(@yesrielee)

Posted : 04/20/2014 1:56 am

I've had a lot of frustration with facial cleansers over the years, and my skin type sounds a whole lot like yours. For the last couple of years, though, I've been using Burt's Bees' Sensitive Facial Cleanser with cotton extract. It's so incredibly gentle--never irritating, not even once--and it's soap-free. Doesn't overdry or make me break out, and it's so soothing when I use it. I usually buy it at Target in the Burt's Bees section. Good luck!