Notifications
Clear all

Best Makeup Type To Hide *real* Scars?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/08/2014 3:40 pm

I want to diminish the appearance of my rolling scars. (I've one box-car scar that's impossible to hide, though I try to downplay its depth with makeup.) But I find that liquid makeup tends to settle into my scars after maybe 5-8 hours. :( And several people have said that mineral-powder foundation makes fine lines and scars--as in depressed/damaged areas--look more noticeable.

Is liquid makeup generally better for hiding the uneven appearance caused by scarring? And is there some trick for keeping it--or any type of makeup--from settling into scars and making them look worse as the day wears on?

Thank you,

PI

MemberMember
(@sinderella)

Posted : 04/11/2014 11:24 am

I agree with whoever said mineral makeup makes lines and scars look more noticable. It's terrible about settling into any indentation. Have you ever tried a cream makeup? They're not as "slippery" as liquid, so they're generally better at not settling. They usually come in a jar or a compact. Applying a primer beforehand also helps any makeup look better, and applying a powder afterwards helps give it staying power.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/11/2014 11:52 am

I agree with whoever said mineral makeup makes lines and scars look more noticable. It's terrible about settling into any indentation. Have you ever tried a cream makeup? They're not as "slippery" as liquid, so they're generally better at not settling. They usually come in a jar or a compact. Applying a primer beforehand also helps any makeup look better, and applying a powder afterwards helps give it staying power.

My skin can't handle anything that isn't an oil-free formula, and I'm of the belief that most cream foundations contain some form of oil. (Correct me if I'm mistaken.)

I may wind up trying Dermablend, though someone told me that it, like many foundations, is prone to "melting" off ones face over the course of a day. *sigh*

MemberMember
(@sinderella)

Posted : 04/11/2014 12:59 pm

My skin can't handle anything that isn't an oil-free formula, and I'm of the belief that most cream foundations contain some form of oil. (Correct me if I'm mistaken.)

I may wind up trying Dermablend, though someone told me that it, like many foundations, is prone to "melting" off ones face over the course of a day. *sigh*

I know there's a vegan one by Cover FX that doesn't contain mineral oil, parabens, or sulfates. It's about $40 though, and I've read some reviews saying it's quite heavy. I've read a lot of reviews on Dermablend as well.. it looks like one of those products people either love or loathe. If you can, maybe visit a store and do some patch tests and see what works best for you? Most makeup/department stores have a good return policy as well, so if you try something and hate it you can get a full refund.

There are a lot of BB/CC creams that are oil free, but you might want more coverage than those can give you. I personally find most BB creams to be runny, and settle into pores just as bad as a light liqiud. But pretty much every brand is different. There are some liquids that are really runny and have extremely light coverage, but there are some (like Estee Lauder Double Wear- I used to use this.. it's oil free) that are thick and have much, much better coverage. I've read Revlon Colorstay for Oily/Combo skin is a great dupe for that, and it's oil-free as well. Everyone's skin is different and everyone reacts in different ways, so the only way to be sure is to try. I never try out a new foundation on my whole face, though, because I like to know it's not going to break me out before I put it everywhere.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/11/2014 4:06 pm

I know there's a vegan one by Cover FX that doesn't contain mineral oil, parabens, or sulfates. It's about $40 though, and I've read some reviews saying it's quite heavy. I've read a lot of reviews on Dermablend as well.. it looks like one of those products people either love or loathe. If you can, maybe visit a store and do some patch tests and see what works best for you? Most makeup/department stores have a good return policy as well, so if you try something and hate it you can get a full refund.

I'd learned about Cover FX recently; my eyes bugged to learn that it costs $40 for 1 oz. (If I ever paid that much money for a foundation, it would be something I'd use only for special occasions and, so, would have a single bottle for a full year. Heh.)

Yeah, I think it's imperative that those of us with super-touchy, acnegenic skin only purchase from sellers who have a good return policy for makeup.

There are a lot of BB/CC creams that are oil free, but you might want more coverage than those can give you. I personally find most BB creams to be runny, and settle into pores just as bad as a light liqiud. But pretty much every brand is different. There are some liquids that are really runny and have extremely light coverage, but there are some (like Estee Lauder Double Wear- I used to use this.. it's oil free) that are thick and have much, much better coverage. I've read Revlon Colorstay for Oily/Combo skin is a great dupe for that, and it's oil-free as well. Everyone's skin is different and everyone reacts in different ways, so the only way to be sure is to try. I never try out a new foundation on my whole face, though, because I like to know it's not going to break me out before I put it everywhere.

I also recently learned of and bought a bottle of Revlon Colorstay. Luckily, of the two foundation colors I purchased, one definitely matches my fair skin pretty well. Overall, it wore decently for a number of hours, though I could tell that it still looked slightly streaky toward the end, due to my skin's oils wearing it down. But most people might not notice it nearly as much as I did.

BTW, I'm having a guilt complex about my Revlon purchase; I know the company does animal testing, and I have two house rabbits. Oy.

You make a good point about doing spot-testing with makeup. I must admit that I've not been doing that, but I feel a little safer, I guess, because I always am wearing some form of acne medication beneath any/all makeup. My skin would breakout from anything if I didn't have a twice-daily medication application routine in place.