Notifications
Clear all

What Vitamins And Supplements Should I Take For Oily Skin?

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 03/26/2014 5:56 pm

In short, i have always had very oily skin naturally and i hate it. Ive been on the regimen for about 7 weeks now and seeing amazing improvement, not totally clear yet though. My new big issue that i will have to address is my oily skin, i hate it, and it seems even worse now for some reason, likely the drying effect of BP. Even when i use moisturizers for oily skin, my skin looks all oily and shiny after some hours. Not much help for oily skin, so i come here. Does anyone know of any vitamins or supplements that can help reduce skin oiliness? Ive heard B5 is good for oily skin and was gonna try it, but then i also heard it initially gives you new breakouts and bad skin, so i dont really want to go through that. So anything good to help oily skin with minimal side effects? Or even just anything that will reduce oily skin, ill just go through them and see what side effects they have and make decisions from there. PLEASE AND THANKS!

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/26/2014 7:29 pm

I would not take large amounts of B5 to help with your oily skin. Lots of people get adverse side effects from doing that. Vitamin C helps my oily skin and so does cleaning up my diet.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 03/26/2014 8:10 pm

I would not take large amounts of B5 to help with your oily skin. Lots of people get adverse side effects from doing that. Vitamin C helps my oily skin and so does cleaning up my diet.

What about normal amounts? What kinds of side effects do you know of exactly from B5? And should i continue taking 1000 IU of Vit. D-3? I just started taking it because my parents have it and ive heard its good for acne, so why not, you know? People say it helped reduce oil production too, so thats a huge plus But then i started reading the reviews here and a lot of people are saying they had worse skin because of it or it made them purge (break out badly). Ive been taking D3 for like a week or less, should i stop before i might get worse acne because of it? Im just finally starting to seriously get clear thanks to the regimen. What to do!?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/26/2014 9:29 pm

Lower the glycemic impact of your diet. And you might try adding zinc, but do not mega dose. Take with food as it makes people nauseous.

More

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/27/2014 9:46 am

What about normal amounts? What kinds of side effects do you know of exactly from B5? And should i continue taking 1000 IU of Vit. D-3? I just started taking it because my parents have it and ive heard its good for acne, so why not, you know? People say it helped reduce oil production too, so thats a huge plus But then i started reading the reviews here and a lot of people are saying they had worse skin because of it or it made them purge (break out badly). Ive been taking D3 for like a week or less, should i stop before i might get worse acne because of it? Im just finally starting to seriously get clear thanks to the regimen. What to do!?

I think normal amounts would be fine, but I'm not sure it will do much for your oily skin. People that take excessive amounts of B5 often report things like hair loss.

I think taking the vitamin D3 is ok, but if you plan to take that amount regularly I think you should get your vitamin D levels checked. If your vitamin D levels are normal they could become too high from taking 1000IU daily. Also, I was severely deficient in vitamin D and getting my levels back to normal did nothing for my oily skin. Not saying it won't help you, but I'm just pointing out it's not a cure all.

I agree with alternativista. Lower the glycemic impact of your meals. It should help your skin.

MemberMember
(@listener)

Posted : 03/27/2014 1:06 pm

Regarding supplements:

Give zinc a go.

Regarding diet:

Give low-fodmap a go.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 03/27/2014 6:25 pm

I think normal amounts would be fine, but I'm not sure it will do much for your oily skin. People that take excessive amounts of B5 often report things like hair loss.

I think taking the vitamin D3 is ok, but if you plan to take that amount regularly I think you should get your vitamin D levels checked. If your vitamin D levels are normal they could become too high from taking 1000IU daily. Also, I was severely deficient in vitamin D and getting my levels back to normal did nothing for my oily skin. Not saying it won't help you, but I'm just pointing out it's not a cure all.

I agree with alternativista. Lower the glycemic impact of your meals. It should help your skin.

I might try a normal-low amount of B5, but i need to find out what is a low or normal amount is first . Cant really imagine a teenager experiencing hair loss, that would suck lol. Ill keep taking the Vitamin D and see how it goes and what happens, i know vitamins alone wont help totally, but it does help nevertheless. And, do you mean consuming a low glycemic index diet? Ill look into that, always hear about it, but never really found out what it means. Im willing to try that, but changing my diet totally might be difficult.

Regarding supplements:

Give zinc a go.

Regarding diet:

Give low-fodmap a go.

Already taking 100mg of zinc gluconate a day- 2 50mg pills. Low foodmap?

MemberMember
(@listener)

Posted : 03/28/2014 9:50 am

FODMAP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FODMAP

Helped me as much as zero carb helped me, except it allows certain carbs. White rice is king.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 03/28/2014 5:59 pm

FODMAP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FODMAP

Helped me as much as zero carb helped me, except it allows certain carbs. White rice is king.

Not gonna lie, seems radical and complicated. Either way, is this pic accurate? And can i really only eat those foods in green?

ListOfFodmapsFoods3.gif

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/28/2014 6:20 pm

Look into glycemic load which takes amounts of food eaten into acount. And its the load of the entire meal that matters. Of course, you could eat only lw glycemic index foods, but eating low glycemic foods (usually high in fat and fiber) lowers the impact of any high glycemic foods in the same meal.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 03/28/2014 7:07 pm

Look into glycemic load which takes amounts of food eaten into acount. And its the load of the entire meal that matters. Of course, you could eat only lw glycemic index foods, but eating low glycemic foods (usually high in fat and fiber) lowers the impact of any high glycemic foods in the same meal.

What exactly is the difference between glycemic load and low glycemic index?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)
MemberMember
(@listener)

Posted : 03/29/2014 11:54 am

That chart you put up overcomplicates things and seems to be drastically wrong in any case.

My general low-FODMAP advice would be: Avoid simple sugar. Avoid Dairy. Avoid veg/carbs other than white rice.

Just do it to whatever strictness you want. If you understand the acronym FODMAP then that should explain all you need to know.

That's it.

Keep it simple - Increases compliance.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/29/2014 2:12 pm

That chart you put up overcomplicates things and seems to be drastically wrong in any case.

My general low-FODMAP advice would be: Avoid simple sugar. Avoid Dairy. Avoid veg/carbs other than white rice.

Just do it to whatever strictness you want. If you understand the acronym FODMAP then that should explain all you need to know.

That's it.

Avoid vegetables...?

MemberMember
(@listener)

Posted : 03/30/2014 8:47 am

That's it.

Avoid vegetables...?

Helped me immensely. I have a gut dysbiosis. For a healthy gut, fibre is great. For an unhealthy one, fibre is not great.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/30/2014 10:52 am

That's it.

Avoid vegetables...?

Helped me immensely. I have a gut dysbiosis. For a healthy gut, fibre is great. For an unhealthy one, fibre is not great.

How do you get enough nutrients without eating any vegetables, though? It just doesn't seem healthy.

MemberMember
(@listener)

Posted : 03/31/2014 9:50 am

That's it.

Avoid vegetables...?

How do you get enough nutrients without eating any vegetables, though? It just doesn't seem healthy.

If you're referring to vitamins and minerals then I'd say I get plenty from the other components in my diet.

Eating something that has 100kcal per kilo certainly didn't factor into our evolution, and homosapiens made it til now.

Alot of these useful compounds are actually synthesised by bacteria in the gut.

MemberMember
(@kimberlyannemt)

Posted : 08/31/2014 9:20 pm

I know that this topic was started a few months back but I thought it would be helpful to submit my experience with oily skin.

I took Accutane in HS for 2 years and had amazing results. In college I had oily skin still (wish the effect on tane was permanent) and I got a hold of some Accutane through a research company which I took without doctor supervision for another 3 years and it had the same effect on my skin. Well after a while I stopped for many reasons and am back to oily skin.. Here's what has worked for me and what I am currently using/trying:

- YAZ birth control pills (sorry men..) I feel that this is what REALLY helps my skin out

- Vitamin C I tried for a while which seemed to do nothing extra

- Multi-Vitamin didn't seem to do much extra

- Vitamin D which seemed to actually help somewhat! But I kept trying to up my dose but my skin got worse so I stuck with under 5000IU

My skin doesn't really get too oily until after 8 hours after washing up and applying makeup and I only have to blot once.

Idk if this helps but I decided to input