Jump to content
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Seeing A Dermatologist For Scars

Recommended Posts

I going to the derm few days for acne scars.

I've been researching and excision seems really good for the scars i have ( many ice picks, rolling, depressed)

The derm is an old guy with 30+ years experience with cosmetic dermatology for his practice.

I been reading that a plastic surgeon is better for these treatments.

Since the derm im going to has cosmetic practices, will he be okay for the procedure if he recommends it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't matter if your doctor is a plastic surgeon or dermatologist. Just make sure your doctor has adequate experience treating acne scars with the procedure. Personally, I would approach an experienced dermatologist for punch excision or subcision before a plastic surgeon. Chances are they've done the procedure much more frequently than a plastic surgeon. If I were seeking a procedure like Z-plasty to relocate or minimize a disfiguring scar, I would first look for a qualified facial plastic surgeon but I would also consider a derm who is experienced with the procedure.

Subcision and fillers rarely improve ice pick and boxcar scars. This procedure makes sense for rolling scars where the skin is simply tethered and still shares the same texture as surrounding skin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes