Notifications
Clear all

Are These Acne Scars Worth Treating?

MemberMember
(@lateactor)

Posted : 03/15/2014 11:55 am

Does anyone think I should do anything for my scars? I've looked at this forum for awhile and a lot of people are posting 'look at my scar' topics who don't have any scars whatsoever. I'd thought being someone with actual scars I'd post.

I'm on accutane at the moment so I can't do any treatments for a while but I could start saving up. It's difficult sometimes to work out if it's actually bad or if it's all in you head. Especially on the mood swings of accutane.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 03/15/2014 2:07 pm

if you have to asked someone if there worth treating then there usually not lol its up to you remember that

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 03/15/2014 2:26 pm

It's never a bad idea to start saving if it is a route you possibly want to take after your accutane course. I think the overall texture and color of the scars will even out greatly by the time comes around to when you can treat them. I personally don't think your scarring is very bad, and it will fill in somewhat, even out, and regain normal color of the coming months to a year.

Just start saving, and if you're content with your skin when the times comes then at least you'll have a bunch of money to spend on something else :P

MemberMember
(@clearskins)

Posted : 03/15/2014 2:57 pm

Do you pick them?

Honestly that looks a lot like mine used to a few years ago post my severe acne phase.

After accutane saved me from the acne, time is what got rid of MOST my scars.

I think yours will heal nicely.

Like suggested, never a bad idea to save up ;)

MemberMember
(@lateactor)

Posted : 03/15/2014 2:59 pm

It's never a bad idea to start saving if it is a route you possibly want to take after your accutane course. I think the overall texture and color of the scars will even out greatly by the time comes around to when you can treat them. I personally don't think your scarring is very bad, and it will fill in somewhat, even out, and regain normal color of the coming months to a year.

Just start saving, and if you're content with your skin when the times comes then at least you'll have a bunch of money to spend on something else

Yeah the hyperpigmentation doesn't bother me, it goes quite quickly for me.

I didn't realise rolling scars could fill in. They started showing up as the cysts have started to disappear and I assumed they would stay how they are now.

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 03/15/2014 3:11 pm

My rolling scaring filled in somewhat, I've had some even completely disappear. It depends on the severity, deeper ones may improve, very shallow ones may fade completely.

1. Redness makes your skin look more indented then it really is.

2. Collagen still renews for about 6 months or so after the original scar was formed.

I know a lot of people are on the fence about scars filling in or improving over time, but at least in my case I've noticed it happen. Id say it's something to be optimistic about~ The skin changes and improves a great deal the months after accutane. And they recommend not getting scar treatment for 6 months after you stop taking it... so it will give you time to save; and assess how your skin improves in the meantime. (:

MemberMember
(@lateactor)

Posted : 03/15/2014 3:11 pm

Do you pick them?

Honestly that looks a lot like mine used to a few years ago post my severe acne phase.

Like suggested, never a bad idea to save up

Yeah I did pick. I tried not to but when they itch or form a whitehead I find it impossible not to.

How long did it take for them to go for you? Do you have any before and after pictures I could see?

MemberMember
(@clearskins)

Posted : 03/15/2014 3:25 pm

Do you pick them?

Yeah I did pick. I tried not to but when they itch or form a whitehead I find it impossible not to.

How long did it take for them to go for you? Do you have any before and after pictures I could see?

I think almost everyone can't resist the whitehead, and eventually picks them. Still I suggest as much as you can, don't pick them.

As you can imagine, taking pictures were never an option as I was extremely self conscious.

This is a pic on my better days after the acne started going away, with some foundation my sister had helped me use to hide the redness.

Made a recent thread where you can see how it looks now.

Not perfect but much better than those days for sure.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/15/2014 4:50 pm

Clearskin do you have scars or its just hyperpigmentation and redness?

MemberMember
(@lateactor)

Posted : 03/16/2014 4:48 pm

Do you pick them?

I think almost everyone can't resist the whitehead, and eventually picks them. Still I suggest as much as you can, don't pick them.

As you can imagine, taking pictures were never an option as I was extremely self conscious.

This is a pic on my better days after the acne started going away, with some foundation my sister had helped me use to hide the redness.

Made a recent thread where you can see how it looks now.

Not perfect but much better than those days for sure.

To be honest I can't see any scaring in the picture you posted. Definitely hyperpigmentation but the scarring appears to be limited compared to mine.

My scars are pretty shallow but they give a rough appearance across the skin surface. They are probably only 0.5mm deep at most, does anyone know if this will improve?

The most frustrating thing is that my acne on accutane has always been worse than when I started, even after 5 months on. I've just looked at pictures the day I started taking it and I had smooth skin and no scars! I really wished I never started taking this drug.

I can only hope Garrettrichard is right and these improve.