Notifications
Clear all

My Spiro Log

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/11/2014 3:32 pm

Hello all,

I wanted to start a log to keep my track of my progression on Spiro.

Quick bio: Long time acne sufferer, I did Accutane twice and it worked both times however when I was taken off the bumps started to come back. My derm and gynecologist explained it was hormonal acne and diagnosed me with PCOS. My derm started me on Spiro (100mg), and a low does Retin- A (0.025) because I'm also getting laser hair removal on my face and she doesn't want my skin to burn.

My acne is moderate consisting of whiteheads and blackheads. I usually breakout on my cheeks and under my eyes but now its slowly going up to my forehead and around my jawline and chin. I used to have cysts but (knock on wood) I no longer get them (maybe from the Accutane?)

Day 5

I started Sprio 5 days ago from today. Prior to starting I had a breakout on my cheeks and some small bumps on my forehead. The bumps on my cheeks are mostly gone minus a small bump on the side of my nose that I popped (I know, I know but it had pus in it and was ready to go!) and another very tiny bump on my cheek that I also popped and is now red. I have a ton of scars on my cheeks and on my forehead and nose. I have to get my skin used to the Retin-A so I can only put it on twice a week for a little bit. I really hope I don't get an initial breakout and if I do this is the worst of it. I'm tired of covering my face up with makeup and canceling plans with friends. I have to go to a party on Saturday and I'm hoping I'm mostly clear by then

Any Spiro users, please feel free to tell me about your progression as well!

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/13/2014 2:08 am

Day 6

(delayed post)

Some scabs that were once bumps finally dried up and fell off. The only thing is they left some scars, and my skin is darker so the scars are black/gray as opposed to red. But trying to look on the bright side that they're not zits. Also, left my Retin-A at my house and waiting for my mom to ship it to my apartment, hopefully she gets on that soon because later in the day I noticed some small bumps forming. I'm really nervous about this one forming right below my eye cause it looks like it could be cystic and I haven't gotten one of those in years. I've bought some acne fighting products from Lush prior to this journey because I've heard great things so I used the Tea Tree Water Toner and then later used the Mask of Magnaminty and applied Grease Lightning to the spots. So far it looks like the Grease Lightning is "lightening" up some scars but we will see! I really hope the GL calms down the one growing underneath my eye. The party I was supposed to go to on Saturday is now canceled and I'm actually happy (see how much my face effects my life?!) but now I have a job interview Friday (2 days) and want to look confident for it, I don't want it to look like I have a giant shiner under my eye!

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/13/2014 12:55 pm

Day 7:

So the small bumps I was worried about turned out to be tiny tiny clogged pores that came to a head and are now gone for the most part. Had a small bump on my forehead above my eyebrow that came to a head and used my new Sephora extractor and got the gunk out. And the bump underneath my eye seems pretty small now so I'm thinking the Lush Grease Lightening is working and holding down the fort for now until my Retin-A comes in. Still lots of scarring which is so unfortunate but from reading other people's logs and seeing the before and after pictures I'm really confident that this will work. It may take some time but I'm going to stick with it. Maybe retreat back home a couple of weekends if my face starts freaking out (thats what I did when I was on Accutane and had a light initial breakout) I just want the face I had after both Accutane uses. I didn't wear make up all summer and it was a great feeling to just put on some clothes and go to work; I used to be late every morning trying to figure out ways to get rid of the shit on my face and now I feel like thats happening again.

Good luck everyone, we can do this!

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/13/2014 9:44 pm

Day 7

(update)

Noticing more bumps starting to form. 2 at the top of my head near my hairline, one on my left lower cheek, and one near my right temple. I noticed a small one forming underneath one that just went down. Most of these are ingrowns from the hair growing back on my face (I'm getting laser hair removal therapy and also thread it in between sessions) The Grease Lightning from Lush seems to be doing a pretty good job of holding the fort down. Just reapplied some to the new bumps and praying I look decent tomorrow (job interview wish me luck!) I wish I didnt have to apply makeup but it looks like I'm going to have to, especially with all of the dark scars on my cheeks. My Retin-A should be coming in tomorrow so I'm looking forward for it to come in and take care of business. I'm hoping this is the worst and then smooth sailing from here on out.

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/14/2014 3:32 pm

Day 8

A week and a day since I started Spiro and so far not that many results. But after reading a couple of logs and some information online I know its a process. My derm told me to try this for a month and then if I need to up the dose or get off of it I will. The bump at the top of my head came to a head and came out and is now flat. I had two small bumps on either side of nose that are now flat as well. Its weird, I feel like when my face gets a bump on one side, another one grows symmetrically and its only been doing that lately. Couple of very small bumps on my cheeks, a medium sized pimple on my right lower jaw, two smaller bumps on my right temple. And still lots of scarring. Tried to put liquid foundation (MakeUp For Ever) on for the interview this morning but it looked so cake-y and my scars looked almost blue-ish green underneath it. Had to wash it off quickly and use my MAC powder. Was almost late because I was battling my skin and making it look decent. I can't wait for those days to be over. I remember after being off Accutane both times and felt like a weight was lifted from my shoulder. I didn't spend hours in the bathroom and barely analyzed my face in the mirror because I knew it was clear. Can't wait to get back to that. That's whats keeping me going.

I've also read that there is no initial breakout with spironolactone because all it does is block androgens and if you do breakout its your normal type of breakout. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just throwing this out there! It also makes sense because yes I am breaking out but I usually always breakout 2 weeks before my period (annoying right?!) and as I've said I have a couple of ingrown hairs so that could be the cause of the bumps.

My Retin-A came in and I'm excited to use it tonight! Am I pathetic? Possibly, haha.

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/15/2014 7:32 pm

Day 9

So after using Retin-A most of the small bumps on my left cheek were gone or came to a head and came out. The bigger bumps by my chin and my jawline are still in tact though and there is now only one bump on my right temple. I got my face threaded again because I usually get it threaded in between laser treatments and was having a grand day but then I noticed one small bump growing on my left jawline, another on my right and four small bumps above my eyebrow on my forehead. I'm assuming its from the threading but seriously when will this stop!!!! Trying to look on the brighter side of things that they are small and not large cysts. Have to stay positive. I washed my face with Sea Breeze astringent after threading but I guess that didn't really hold down the breakout and I am now washing my face with Cera Ve Cleanser. Also, it looks like the scars are slowly fading which is exciting. Hopefully things will be better tomorrow and into next week.

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 03/15/2014 10:13 pm

All acne is hormonal. There are no "special types" of acne.

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/16/2014 11:55 am

Day 10

So the majority of the bumps on my forehead all came to a head so after I showered and washed my face with Cera Ve, I grabbed my trusty Sephora extractor and was able to extract those pesky bumps. Hopefully the Retin-A works its magic tonight and gets rid of whatevers left of them. Theres still one bump but it looks like it'll come to a head soon. The bump on my left jawline seems to have vanished but the two bumps on my right jawline are not budging and seem almost cyst like which is weird because as I've stated previously I haven't gotten any cysts for a long time. Must have jinxed myself but I am becoming happy with the progression. Also the scars seem to be lightening up slowly. There are two scars that are very prominent on my upper right cheek, close to my nose that I'm hoping lighten up within this coming week.

I'm starting to slowly gain my confidence back. Retin-A, you're a blessing in a tube. And Spiro I can't wait to see what you're gunna do in the upcoming weeks!

Will edit/update if anything else comes up later.

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/17/2014 11:28 am

Day 11

Most of the bumps have submerged on my forehead but they're still red. Predicting that they'll be completely flat in two days. The two bumps on my right jawline are still tender but look a smidge bit smaller. Couple of clogged pores by my right temple and some very tiny bumps on the left side of my cheek. Always seems like when something's clearer something else pops up. Scarring is also getting lighter and noticed that the skin underneath all of this gunk is looking healthy and fresh, hopefully all of this stuff will go away so the healthy skin can glow! Come on Sprio and Retin A don't let me down!!!

Update: One of the bumps on my forehead seems to have gotten a little bigger..UGH. And now it looks somethings forming on my right cheek. My skin is starting to flake from the Retin-A which is weird to start flaking now. Will probably hold off on it tonight which sucks because I want to get rid of these two bumps for good. Maybe luck will be on my side and make 'em go down without the Retin-A. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/18/2014 1:52 pm

Day 12

My skin is peeling from the Retin-A but thats okay. I think I'm going to have to go back to using it every third night. One of the cysts on my jawline has gone down significantly but the other one looks like its getting bigger. It could be because its flaky that it gives off that illusion. The bump on the right side of my forehead has gone down a bit too. I have to say my skin looks a lot brighter and a couple of scars have brightened up. I have very tiny whiteheads popping up on the sides of my face but I'm waiting for them to pop out a little more so I can extract it, I don't need anymore scars than I already have. My mom even noticed a difference which makes me really happy.

She also bought me two products which I'm hesitant to try because I'm using Retin-A and my skin burns very easily. One is Origin's Modern Friction Nature's Gentle Dermabrasion and the other is a sample of an AHA peel. If anyone's reading, have you used these at the same time as Retin-A and did it cause any irritation/burning? I'm planning on waiting a day or two before I use it but some feedback would be appreciated!

As frustrated as I am with my skin, I have to remember that I am not my acne. I am beautiful person no matter the hyper pigmentation on my face or the bumps that come and go. I am bigger than all of that. I AM on the road to clearer skin but that doesn't mean I'm ugly or worthless on my way over to the destination. For all of you reading, we're going to get through this. Positive vibes!

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/19/2014 2:53 pm

Day 13

"Your skin is looking better" said my mom this morning which made me feel so elated. I skipped out on the Retin-A last night and still my skin is super dry and peely. No biggie though. No new bumps have formed which makes me really happy. The bump on the right side of my forehead is very dry and getting smaller. The cyst on my chin came to a head yesterday and I used my extractor to get the gunk out. The scarring is whats really bugging me because I like to go out with no makeup on (I don't like to apply makeup because I fear it'll break out my skin even more, especially now when its just getting clearer) and these dark marks on my face ain't cute. I think I'm going to have to look for a tinted moisturizer. If anyone has any recommendations, let me know!

Still have yet to dry the Origins and AHA peels, as I said before I'm nervous because my skin burns very easily and I don't want to walk around with a dark burn on my face on top of the scarring and acne. My dermatologist told me that I should stop applying the Retin-A a week before I go for my laser apt so maybe it's best if I use the products then? I'll figure it out.

Also! I read somewhere about how peppermint tea has anti-androgens--basically its good for women with acne and hirsutism. I figured it couldn't hurt so I picked up some today at the supermarket. I'll keep you all posted on that (I mean, I don't if anyones reading so I'll keep myself posted, haha)

Sending out positive vibes for everyone struggling out there!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 03/19/2014 3:56 pm

They recommend holding off on Retin A for several days before using any peels. I've been using Mandelic and Salicylic on non Retin A skin so I can't say what would happen, but definitely hold off several days before trying any peel. Good luck with them :)

Day 12

My skin is peeling from the Retin-A but thats okay. I think I'm going to have to go back to using it every third night. One of the cysts on my jawline has gone down significantly but the other one looks like its getting bigger. It could be because its flaky that it gives off that illusion. The bump on the right side of my forehead has gone down a bit too. I have to say my skin looks a lot brighter and a couple of scars have brightened up. I have very tiny whiteheads popping up on the sides of my face but I'm waiting for them to pop out a little more so I can extract it, I don't need anymore scars than I already have. My mom even noticed a difference which makes me really happy.

She also bought me two products which I'm hesitant to try because I'm using Retin-A and my skin burns very easily. One is Origin's Modern Friction Nature's Gentle Dermabrasion and the other is a sample of an AHA peel. If anyone's reading, have you used these at the same time as Retin-A and did it cause any irritation/burning? I'm planning on waiting a day or two before I use it but some feedback would be appreciated!

As frustrated as I am with my skin, I have to remember that I am not my acne. I am beautiful person no matter the hyper pigmentation on my face or the bumps that come and go. I am bigger than all of that. I AM on the road to clearer skin but that doesn't mean I'm ugly or worthless on my way over to the destination. For all of you reading, we're going to get through this. Positive vibes!

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/19/2014 4:33 pm

Thanks for the tip, hope you're feeling better and all is well! Positive vibes!

They recommend holding off on Retin A for several days before using any peels. I've been using Mandelic and Salicylic on non Retin A skin so I can't say what would happen, but definitely hold off several days before trying any peel. Good luck with them

Day 12

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/20/2014 12:36 pm

Day 14

Now its officially been two weeks of my Spiro and Retin A 0.025 regimen. I put on Retin-A last night because I felt a pimple coming on my cheek. Ugh, just my luck. It's still kind of forming, it hasn't really come out yet so I'm hoping it'll go down instead of come up. The pimple on my forehead finally came to a head, wahoo! And now I'm just waiting for it to go down completely. The peppermint tea is super tasty, had some last night and this morning. Also read about a home remedy that sticking a peppermint tea bag on the pimple can reduce the swelling so I tried it. Figured it couldn't hurt so I placed it on the one growing on my cheek and it looks a bit smaller, maybe its my optimism.

Overall for two weeks I am seeing a bit of an improvement. Not as much as I hoped for by now but I can't say there hasn't been any. The scarring is fading, the pimples are less and less so I have a good feeling this is working. Hopefully by next week I'll be a lot clearer!

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/21/2014 8:43 am

Day 15

Early morning post--haven't even taken my Spiro yet for the day! Sipping some peppermint tea hoping this thing is actually working haha. My face is looking pretty good, two new small pores on either side of my cheeks have popped up which annoys me because I thought everything was gone. The pimple that came up on my cheek came to a head and came out immediately last night but when I used the extractor to get the gunk out the skin around was dry and the extractor and dry skin rubbing against each other caused it to bruise and scab up. No biggie though because its pretty small The small pores from two days ago crept back up again and those came to a head as well. Now they're kinda dried up and will most likely come out in the shower. The pimple that was on my forehead that came out two days ago is now dark and hard so I'm waiting for it to dry up Have to be thankful that they're not huge cystic bumps or pimples.

The skin around these open pores is super soft and clear which makes me really happy. The scars are continue to lighten, although I am seeing some new scars starting to form from old bumps. Just staying positive. Will update if anything else happens!

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/22/2014 2:25 pm

Day 16

Little over two weeks and starting to see more improvement. Last night the bump on my forehead came back with a vengeance and a friend (another one came up right next to it). I actually didn't know another one was there until I was extracting the first bump and pus came out from the other side of the extractor. Because my skin is very dry from the Retin-A when I use the extractor it tends to scrape the skin and rub against it roughly so it created a burn like scrape. Its not that big but I have Neosporin and a bandaid on it to try to make it fade faster. This morning the "new" bump had some more gunk in it so I extracted that and hopefully he doesn't come back either.

Because my laser appointment is in two weeks I have to stop the Retin-A after tonight. I really hope nothing new pops up next week because that would be absolutely awful. If anyone has any recommendations of products you use with Retin-A please let me know. My skin's been looking pretty good and I don't want anything else to pop up.

I'm not sure if the peppermint tea is working. Again because I'm taking Spiro and Retin-A its hard to tell if its actually doing anything. But I mean since I started drinking two cups a day, nothings really been popping up on my face minus the new bump attached to the old one. Who knows! It can't hurt?

Sending positive vibes to everyone struggling! Lots of love to you!

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/23/2014 10:11 am

Day 17

Woke up a little late today, looked at my face and again seeing some slight improvement. However I did also a notice a small bump growing on my upper right cheek close to my nose and a small bump close to my left temple. They are very small, and again thankful that they're not huge cystic bumps or big whiteheads but I'm still kind of frustrated that my skin is not 100% clear. That whenever something goes away, something new immediately comes up. But just staying positive, things could be worse. It could simply be that my hormones are still getting adjusted to the Spiro. Who knows, hopefully when I hit the third week mark things will look super clear. The mark on my forehead is still pretty prominent and scrape like but I'm sure it'll fade or fall off by tomorrow or Tuesday. But I think theres another small pimple growing next to it. Ugh.

Will update if anything else happens.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

Picked the scab from my forehead too early and now its raw and pink! Ugh! Back to bandaids and neosporin until it heals.

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/24/2014 11:30 am

Day 18

Skin looking clearer but don't want to jinx anything so I'll leave it at that. Raw skin bump thing at the top of my forehead is slowly healing as well. I made an appointment with an endocrinologist in two weeks. Just staying positive about it all and trying to get my life organized. I've been hiding out from the world for almost a month because of my face and I need to start taking control and getting things together. I am bigger than my acne, people can look past the bumps and scars and see a beautiful and intelligent woman. I need to stay positive and focus my energy on bigger things and know that the medicines (and time) will heal everything.

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/25/2014 4:23 pm

Day 19

The raw skin is healing and is now looking scar-like which is better. Obviously, I wish it would go away completely but its better it looks like that than look like an open wound. Unfortunately the bump next to that got bigger--not cyst like but a full on pimple. And a smaller one on my forehead looks like its getting bigger too. I made an appointment with my dermatologist for tomorrow to inject/extract these suckers so I'm looking forward to that. Some very very tiny bumps on my cheeks but they dont look like they're growing and if they do they'll be "eradicated" tomorrow as well. The skin around these bumps is looking really good though. Old scars are fading, bumps are healing pretty fast (minus the big one). This stuff is working, its taking time but its working. Took my Spiro later than I normally do because I was running around and forgot it at home. Better than not taking it at all, I guess. Just can't wait till tomorrow to get these things off my face and maybe have a decent weekend.

Gotta stay positive though!

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/26/2014 7:08 pm

Day 20

The pimple on my forehead was still in tact today. A smaller one growing on the other side of my forehead became red and a little more inflamed. One pimple on my right cheek closer to my nose came "back from the dead" so I was so happy to see the doctor today. He injected the one on my forehead with Kenalog. Pretty sure he injected it twice so I think this guy will be gone by tomorrow. He then took me to the aesthetician in the office and she extracted the smaller bumps and gave me a psuedo microdermabrasion. I say pseudo because it wasn't a full one, it was more like a facial. We scheduled another appointment for the following Monday so I'm very happy about that. After the appointment, the scars on my cheek seem to be very light. The pimple on my forehead shrunk a little bit but not completely; like I said hopefully its gone completely tomorrow and the one on my forehead seems to be a smidge bit bigger but it could be from the extraction. Nonetheless, my skin feels so soft and I feel like all the dirt and gunk is gone. Hopefully tomorrow the redness and bumps will go down! Keep your fingers crossed.

Also my laser hair removal has been put on hold because their machine broke so its good and bad. Good because now I can focus completely on my face bad because I still have to worry about hair growing back.

If anyones reading, I'd really like to know about your progression, advice, stories, feelings, whatever, as well! Please comment!

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/27/2014 12:52 pm

Day 21

So the big monster zit is finally shrinking, thank you Kenalog shot! It should be microscopic tomorrow and flat by Saturday. There are some very tiny pimples forming on my forehead close to my hairline and I assume thats from the microdermabrasion yesterday. I dabbed a smidge pidge of Retin-A on them and they seem to be going. I'm not too worried because they look super small and if anything comes up, it will be erradicated on Monday when I go for my next facial. I posted some pics to my "Spiro" Gallery so please check it out!

Things are looking up!

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/28/2014 1:29 pm

Day 22

More improvements but don't want to jinx it. Most of the very small bumps and clogged pores came out or submerged this morning. The monster zit is super dry and flaky and small. I don't want to put lotion on it, I'm just trying to be super careful. I see two very small clogged pores/bumps emerging on my cheeks but I'll just dab some Retin-A on them tonight.

I don't have a conclusion whether or not the peppermint tea is helping because I've been doing all this other stuff for my skin but nonetheless its still really good!

Excited for the next facial on Monday because if my skin looks this good after and the aesthetician got most of the gunk out it'll probably look spectacular next week.

Really happy and thankful right now. Hope you all are seeing clearer days yourselves! Positivity!

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/29/2014 12:41 pm

Day 23

Pretty much the same as yesterday. Some very tiny bumps here and there but nothing huge and noticeable thank god. My skin is incredibly dry though so I blobbed Cetaphil Moisturizer all over my face. Might have to put some more. Have to hold off on the Retin-A tonight for the facial on Monday. Sucks because I want to put some on these little buggers but I guess I'll have to deal. Again, just very thankful that things are turning around and I really hope it only gets better from here.

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/30/2014 9:04 pm

Day 24

Took my pill very late today because I was running around. Some more improvement. Still some small clogged pores and dry skin. Facial/mini microdermabrasion tomorrow! Lets hope its all good from now on!

Hope everyone's doing well!

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 04/01/2014 12:06 am

Day 25

(delayed post)

Had my facial/mini microderm today and the aesthetician got rid of all the small pores and blackheads, however I think I see a bump emerging on my forehead which is getting me scared. Because I can't put Retin-A on tonight I dabbed some of that Grease Lightening that I used when I didnt have my Retin-A on hand. I remembered it helped me with a couple of emerging bumps so lets hope it works its magic again. My skin was just getting clearer and I really can't stand to see a big cyst on my forehead again.