Notifications
Clear all

What Supplements Should I Take?

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 03/09/2014 1:55 am

A little backinfo, i have acne probably classified as moderate to severe, its a lot better know, but still getting pimples and have mostly hyperpigmentation- red marks- from old acne. Its probably my 5th week on the regimen and seems to have really worked, still not totally clear, i would say im at like 30% progress. Im following the regimen strictly day and night, and at night i now do 1/2 AHA+ and 1/2 moisturizer. I'm 17, just fyi.

I am taking one of these Omega-3 squeeze packets a day, two Digestive Advantage Probiotic Gummies a day, two One-A-Day Vitacraves Gummies Plus Immunity Support a day, two Trader Joe's Papaya & Pineapple Enzymes a day (just for digestive reasons, not really for acne), and one Trader Joe's Synergistic C Vitamin C Complex a day. I plan on adding Zinc Gluconate soon too. What do you guys think on these?

What other vitamins can i add to fight acne, inflammation, fight oily skin (my T-zone is very oily, and nose is even more oily- not me in that picture, btw), and anything else basically to just keep my skin soft, clear, and not oily?

Please help. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/09/2014 8:02 am

Vitamin D unless you are getting it from the sun. What's your diet like?

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 03/09/2014 9:31 am

I'd worry a bit less about supplementation and more about being sure to eat whole, unprocessed, nutrient-dense foods. My two main supplements are vit D and borage oil. I try to get my nutrition from food, since it's most easily absorbed by your body. Think of your food like medicine.

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 03/09/2014 9:42 am

I'd worry a bit less about supplementation and more about being sure to eat whole, unprocessed, nutrient-dense foods. My two main supplements are vit D and borage oil. I try to get my nutrition from food, since it's most easily absorbed by your body. Think of your food like medicine.

I would not take borage oil for many reasons, evening primrose oil is safer choice. Here's why: http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/epo_expanded.htm

MemberMember
(@jayboy-2)

Posted : 03/09/2014 5:03 pm

I've done a lot of experimenting with vitamins over the years and by far the most beneficial for my skin has been vitamin A (not from beta carotene, from fish liver oil). I also take vitamin D as well but it's a lot less necessary for me since I live in Arizona.

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 03/09/2014 6:41 pm

I would not take borage oil for many reasons, evening primrose oil is safer choice. Here's why: http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/epo_expanded.htm

Borage oil is not unsafe. I've taken it for years with no issues. Organic, of course.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 03/09/2014 9:29 pm

Yeah, I've been trying to eat better lately and still going at it. My questions now are, to everyone, what benefit(s) does Vitamin D offer for acne and also just overall? Same thing with that Borage Oil, what does it do and how does it help? Is it a topical oil like Jojoba oil or a pill or liquid...?

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 03/09/2014 10:24 pm

The regimen, hm... To be honest, I think you're better off leaving your skin alone. Worked for me and many other people on this board. I don't use any chemical-based products on my skin and it's never looked better.

The most important thing is what you put inside your body. Personally, I think you take way too many supplements. Keep it simple and focus on getting your vitamins from fresh, whole vegetables and some fruits. It's much harder for some people to absorb minerals from food, so we have no choice but to use mineral supplements.

Leafy vegetables: For optimum nutrition, you need to be eating leafy greens (like spinach or kale) at least twice a day. Generous servings.

Vitamin C: Eat a lot of raw vegetables and fruit high in Vit C. Makes a huge difference for me. I eat a whole raw bell pepper for lunch most days.

Liver: packed full of nutrients. Read up on it.

Selenium: I try to eat about 4 Brazil nuts everyday.

Minerals: magnesium supplements have been my savior. My skin can't live without these. Zinc was helpful when my skin was terrible, but I stopped taking it and I've seen that I don't need it.

Organic apple cider vinegar: great for digestion problems. I drink a tablespoon in water several times a week.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 03/09/2014 11:58 pm

Borage oil is not unsafe. I've taken it for years with no issues. Organic, of course.

Hey that Magic Juice recipe sounds good, i might try it tomorrow. Sounds like it can work wonders based off of your signature explanation of it:

" it is invaluable for acne due to the large amounts of vitamin A (carotenoids) from both the carrots and beets. It also helps improve your coloring if you are very fair, giving you a pinkish, more radiant look."

And i am very light skinned too, lately the only color i get on my face is from sun due to the BP when i dont have sunblock on my face or when i apply AHA+

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 03/10/2014 7:43 am

Hey that Magic Juice recipe sounds good, i might try it tomorrow. Sounds like it can work wonders based off of your signature explanation of it:

" it is invaluable for acne due to the large amounts of vitamin A (carotenoids) from both the carrots and beets. It also helps improve your coloring if you are very fair, giving you a pinkish, more radiant look."

And i am very light skinned too, lately the only color i get on my face is from sun due to the BP when i dont have sunblock on my face or when i apply AHA+

The juice does work wonders but only in conjunction with a diet of clean, low glycemic index food. There is no magic bullet for acne, though carrot juice is pretty darn close to one!