Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i've read that high cortisol levels can cause acne :/ i've been working out a lot lately and now my acne has flared up, i suspect this is the reason. any suggestions?

i've read that high cortisol levels can cause acne :/ i've been working out a lot lately and now my acne has flared up, i suspect this is the reason. any suggestions?

There's very little data concerning cortisol and acne. Of the two studies I can find, the results are mixed: http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/2151388, http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/2426899/reload=0;jsessionid=uMMHoalkZMH3Y404nlFb.12

Testosterone and estrogen appear to be more influential on acne, but no one knows for sure whether cortisol effects acne and to what degree.

I had the same problem last year. Tweaking my meals before and after exercising, as well as the length of the workout, completely stopped the breakouts I was experiencing when I took up resistance training. I eat a light, protein and fat rich meal 2 or 3 hours before working out. I exercise for no more than one hour (this is crucial). After exercising, I wait about 2 hours until I eat.

It's also important not to exercise too much. Keep it to once a day, every other day.

Cortisol has far reaching systemic effects such elevating blood sugar, immune system suppression, gastrointestinal function, constricted arteries & thus elevated blood pressure, etc.

So yes, it affects acne. But extreme workouts can also elevate testosterone. Is your skin oilier?