Notifications
Clear all

Roaccutane: My Diary

MemberMember
(@andrewuk)

Posted : 03/02/2014 12:32 pm

This thread was originally titled "Accutane Day 31: Still Breaking Out", however I have renamed it as it has now become a more of a diary for me to document my experience, give and receive advice as well as, for those who are interested, to follow my roaccutane journey.

It is day 31 on Accutane and I am still breaking out badly. I worked so hard to get my skin in the condition it was before starting Accutane, and now I feel that it is worse than it was when I started. I dont have dry skin anymore; Im feeling that maybe Accutane is not working for me.

Strangely, I am not breaking out in new areas on my face, just in the same concentrated areas. My forehead remains clear, as does my chin. Its primarily my cheeks and jaw that has acne. I am a squeezer, every time I clear one out, it leaves a red mark and just as that beings to fade a few days later it fills back up, waiting to be cleaned out again. Its very frustrating.

Is breaking out normal?

MemberMember
(@joy4ever)

Posted : 03/02/2014 12:53 pm

Wow dude.. You should be very patient being on accutane :) I'm 3½ month into my course and I'm still breaking out. Not as much as before though..

Keep strong

MemberMember
(@andrewuk)

Posted : 03/02/2014 1:03 pm

I know, totally impatient. So frustrating, I spent over 1k on RegenLite, over a course of two years, prior to starting Accutane and god only know how much on face washes and creams to get in the place I was before Accutane and now its worse.

I wouldnt recommend RegenLite by the way - an expensive waste of money.

I am also having a problem with dry skin as in I have none what-so-ever. My lips are dry and cracked, but not my face. Another reason I am thinking its not working as my derm said dry skin would defo happen before taking it. What do you think?

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 03/02/2014 1:57 pm

I don't find that the skin on my face gets that dry, at least compared to my lips and hands whilst on Accutane. I do get flaky spots where I am prone to breakouts - do you get these?

On day 31 I was still quite a mess, wondering if it would ever end. I think Accutane takes every tiny thing that would have developed over the next few months and pushes it out all at once - not a nice thing to go through, but well worth it. For me, day 14 - 40ish was AWFUL.

Try HARD not to pick. You are so much more likely to incur scars from things you picked on Accutane. I know sometimes it is almost impossible (I can't leave the house with pus all over my face, either), but you should be VERY careful, and try to let things resolve on their own.

Anyhoo, it is just past day 100 for me now, and I am finally clear. I would say that things started to get gradually better and better from about day 45 on, and it is very common not to see much improvement until the third or fourth month.

Hang in there.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/03/2014 12:52 pm

I second Kim. If you look at my log (and most of the other logs here), if they get an IB, it tends to peak around the third or 4th weak, and get gradually better from there. For me, as it seems to be for a lot of people, it's not that I didn't break out again after that, it's just that each break-out after the first one is less and less severe. I had a very bad IB that didn't resolve until about day 35. Just give it some time.

MemberMember
(@jarcharles)

Posted : 03/03/2014 8:27 pm

Yeah it takes longer than a month. Thats why we take it for 5-6-7 months. You will clear up, just let it work. The accutane is physically changing the way your pores produce oil. It is a permanent solution. Don't get caught up in trying to figure out if you have enough symptoms or not, thats silly. Everyone reacts differently. If your skin was dry, you'd probably be worried because your hair wasn't falling out. Best of luck.

MemberMember
(@andrewuk)

Posted : 03/05/2014 3:45 pm

Day 34

My acne is now the worst it has ever been. Huge cystic spots all across my cheeks and forehead. I can see more coming, by morning I predict I will have 4 or 5 more. Some of them have broken the skin too, its really sore and hiddious. My lips are as dry as anything but the rest of my skin is working over time on oil production it seems. Feeling so down, Ill admit I had a little cry - then my nose began to bleed and had to deal with that mess.

I am only on accutane for 16 weeks, currently on 30mg and moving on up to 60mg this time next week. You say you're on it for 5-6-7 months, surly my acne wont go away in three a a bit months then :S Not enterily sure what to do.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/06/2014 4:39 pm

This is an inital break-out period, which is completely normal for accutane users. Many people do not have an IB, but just as many people do - it is an indicator that the medication is actually doing its job. Your oil glands are responding to the damage the isotretinoin is doing to them by going into over-drive, producing more oil than ever and allowing more bacteria to proliferate. Unfortunately, you will just need to let this process run its course. In a few days time, you will see improvment as your oil glands shrink in response to the isotretinoin and reduce oil output. If you are concerned that you will not be on the drug long enough to see complete clarity, you should discuss this with your dermatologist. There are several medical studies showing the importance of reaching a cumulative dose of 120 to 150 mg/ kg of body weight you can use to substantiate your concerns.

The length of time you are on the drug aside, this period will pass soon. It is painful and frustrating, but it's temporary.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/12/2014 12:15 am

Sorry to say dude but 2 month would be hell too for you after 2nd month you will see some improvement but you will be clear by the end of 4th month

MemberMember
(@cloitus)

Posted : 03/12/2014 6:25 am

yeah dude agree with the guy above. For me i started clearing at month 6. In fairness first 2 months was a bit lower dose, so i'd say 4-5 months normally. But it will work, just be patient

MemberMember
(@acnewackne)

Posted : 03/12/2014 5:17 pm

Hi AndrewUK

I'm currently almost 3 months into my Roaccutane course. My acne initially got worse during month one. At the beginning of month two it seemed to be starting to clear up. Then about 6 weeks into the course it went 'BAM' again and I broke out like mad :( . This was the hardest as it had been getting better and then seemed to want to turn back round again! I wanted to cry too. I battled through and now 2.5 months in I have NO active acne, and haven't had for a few weeks. My skin tone and texture is yuk currently, with lots of red marks, so I'm hoping the next few months will gradually ease those.

In summary, it's still early on, stay strong, we've all been through the ups and downs of roaccutane. A few months ago I thought it wasn't going to work. But it IS working and it WILL work for you, despite it initially getting worse. And remember, only the bad stories go online on this forum usually!

MemberMember
(@andrewuk)

Posted : 03/13/2014 12:09 pm

Day 44. Yesterday I had an appointment at my dermatoligst, who clarfied all which has been stated in here by you guys! Since my last post, my skin has stopped breaking out and healing is taking place. Strangly, I thought I was taking this stuff for 16 weeks only, however, I found out yeserday that the 16 weeks is on the full dose only, so I am on this mediciation until July 2nd unlike May 14th like I thought.

Yesterday was my first day on 60mg, after taking only 30mg for six week. Two hours after taking my new dosage, I feel asleep. This was aroung 4pm, which is uncharasteric of me. Today I already took my 60mg again, and about 30 minutes later I have a really bad migraine. Is this the start of new side effects or just coincidence?

MemberMember
(@andrewuk)

Posted : 03/25/2014 1:04 pm

This is just a little update. It is day 56 now, and 2 weeks since I have been on 60mg. Today was my first day back at university after a week off for revision. My outlook on last week was seven days where I dont need to do anything, go anywhere or see anybody giving me time for my skin to improve and not have to stress about facing the world. Fortunately it did a bit, but come Saturday I was beginning to outbreak again. Absolutely gutted, and now today it is as worse as it has been. It was so hard leaving the house today after seeing how badly I had broken out again, but nevertheless I went anyway because I will fail my final year if I dont. I am feeling incredibly low at this point because I am yet to see any improvments. Im spending most of my time in my bedroom at home because I cant bare facing people, not because I am depressed, because I am so embarrassed about my acne at age 21.

On a more positive note, I have no new side effects on 60mg! My lips are still so dry but my skin is not. My hair is dry and perhaps thinning a little bit at the temples, although this is most probably paranoia because its my biggest side effect fear. As well as that, as my hair is dry it is naturally falling into different positions as it normally would when oily. I have dandruff, but am very much treatable.

Trying to remain positive about this anyway. Hopefully improvements will be seen soon!

MemberMember
(@andrewuk)

Posted : 04/14/2014 7:17 am

Day 76

I got sunburnt today, on the first day of what looks to be a fairly bright sunny and hot British summer. I had to take my car for a MOT and sat out in the garage forecourt whist it underwent testing. Although I sat in a shaded area, I have still managed to sunburn my arms and neck. This is disappointing as I had a really good week, with hardly any new active spots on my face. The one or two spots I did get were only small, hardly noticeable. I had spent most of the week treating my post-acne red marks; however now my face has had a bit of sunlight my red marks are now almost maroon, dark brownish-red, in colour. Thats more annoying as they look worse than red I think.

Apart from that, yeah day 76 and I *THINK* I am starting to see results on roaccutane.

So apart from factor 50 sun block, can anybody recommend anything for post-acne red marks whilst on roaccutane? I am currently trying Sudocream but not sure if thats productive.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 04/14/2014 10:33 pm

Yay for progress! You are right on schedule!

I am no help with sunscreen. There is still snow where I live.

:)

MemberMember
(@andrewuk)

Posted : 05/03/2014 7:42 am

Day 95

Woken up this morning and upset to see i have had a mini outbreak. I have small spots on my forehead and cheeks. No way as big as my spots would have been prior to roaccutane, but never the less it is such a disappointing thing to wake up to.

MemberMember
(@andrewuk)

Posted : 05/17/2014 12:19 pm

Day 109

My face is starting to clear up nicely. I have got really bad ezecma on my hands, infact the entire top layer of skin on my left thumb has peeled off. Fairly nasty and painful. Im plying aqueous cream to my hands every so often to try and prevent it happening to the rest of my fingers as badly. Fairly happy about my face tho! Only 47 more days to go, hope I dont have a relapse in that time. Fingers crossed