Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
simon12345

Salicylic Acid And Glycolic Acid Together?

So a year ago i basically got my skin clear using a 2% salicylic wash and 5% BP which worked very well after a while. Since then idk why i've been constantly changing products and i am thinking of going back to that formula. Yet the problem i have is not so much pimples but more red marks which are all over my chin. I know salicylic acid is a chemical exfoliant but i have heard the Glycolic acid is aswell.

So my question is, can i use salycilic acid as a wash, then BP as a treatment, then Glycolic acid? Or should i not use glycolic acid everyday, but on the days that i do use glycolic, use a gentle fash wash instead of salycilic?

So a year ago i basically got my skin clear using a 2% salicylic wash and 5% BP which worked very well after a while. Since then idk why i've been constantly changing products and i am thinking of going back to that formula. Yet the problem i have is not so much pimples but more red marks which are all over my chin. I know salicylic acid is a chemical exfoliant but i have heard the Glycolic acid is aswell.

So my question is, can i use salycilic acid as a wash, then BP as a treatment, then Glycolic acid? Or should i not use glycolic acid everyday, but on the days that i do use glycolic, use a gentle fash wash instead of salycilic?

You could. The problem is that there's a possibility you could irritate your skin.

Leave-on treatments are more effective than washes.

You should use sunscreen with SPF 30+ if you use any exfoliating treatments.

Thanks! I think i will use the salycilic wash and BP in the morning then salycilic wash and glycolic acid at night unless anyone has any better ideas?

I use glycolic acid facewash everyday and my skin has never looked better.

I still get cysts but they are slowly stopping, my red marks have gone and closed comedones too

salicylic acid was a bit harsh for my skin, not sure why. I have very fair Japanese skin which is sensitive, but gycolic acid is my friend.

Thanks for your responses. But now i think of it, the BP is the reason why i got so many red marks in the first place, so should i still use it? I still get pimples around my chin but majority is red marks

Thanks for your responses. But now i think of it, the BP is the reason why i got so many red marks in the first place, so should i still use it? I still get pimples around my chin but majority is red marks

For occasional inflammatory acne, use it as a spot treatment. If you have inflamed pimples all over, you can apply it all over, and I would suggest going to a derm at that point, because you may have to go on at least antibiotics.

I was tempted to put BP on my red marks.

I thought that it bleaches my clothes, why not my skin? and the peeling means its exfoliating right?- Wrong.

If anything, it just makes them redder, use a exfoliant treatment like the glycolic acid, it works much better.

I was tempted to put BP on my red marks.

I thought that it bleaches my clothes, why not my skin? and the peeling means its exfoliating right?- Wrong.

If anything, it just makes them redder, use a exfoliant treatment like the glycolic acid, it works much better.

Red marks themselves? No. Active pimples? Yes.

Keep in mind that redness = inflammation. You really can't halt or decrease just inflammation on the skin--inflammation means your skin is trying to heal. Orange/yellowish/brown marks = excess melanin. That you can decrease topically. Beware that in darker skin types (African-American descent) the inflammation is more brown than anything.