Bactrim?

MemberMember
(@tezzallen313)

Posted : 02/27/2014 10:42 pm

Hello everyone,

I hope all of you are having a great day. Let's all hang in there. I know this acne stuff is frustrating.

Quick question: Has anyone heard of BACTRIM? I had a dermatologist appointment today and he took me off doxycycline. He said BACTRIM is a bit stronger.

If any of you have taken this drug before please let me know what you thought of it. I'll do more research in the meantime.

All the best,

Montezz Allen

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/28/2014 12:57 am

Hello everyone,

I hope all of you are having a great day. Let's all hang in there. I know this acne stuff is frustrating.

Quick question: Has anyone heard of BACTRIM? I had a dermatologist appointment today and he took me off doxycycline. He said BACTRIM is a bit stronger.

If any of you have taken this drug before please let me know what you thought of it. I'll do more research in the meantime.

All the best,

Montezz Allen

Bactrim is sulfamethoxazole + trimethoprim, and a little stronger than doxyclycline. Bactrim is more often used for stubborn/resistant acne.

Here's a free paper if you're interested: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3168244/

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 02/28/2014 12:50 pm

worked like magic for me before I was taken off it (this was several years ago). Experienced a bad bout of cystic acne Fall 2012, got back on Bactrim March 2013. It has been keeping the cysts away but I still get your regular type breakouts. It carries an increased risk of allergic reaction, more than most other antibiotics, but you never know how you'll tolerate it til you give it a try. Go for it!

MemberMember
(@vivids)

Posted : 02/28/2014 1:11 pm

I started using this about 6 weeks ago. It does work, but it takes time. I was allergic to minocycline and everything in between so bactrim really worked for me. Good luck!