Notifications
Clear all

What Else Could They Prescribe Me?

MemberMember
(@blackrosesxox)

Posted : 02/21/2014 2:14 pm

Hello everyone.

So some of you might have seen my topic about me being on Tretinoin for almost 15 weeks. If not, check it out on my page. My dad called my primary doctor yesterday and told them the Tretinoin 0.025% hasn't been working for me. My primary doctor has prescribed me other things like Doxycycline, Minocycline (like 3 different times!), Differin, Benzoyl Peroxide and Clindamycin, Bactrim, Benzamycin, Epiduo, Duac, and Tretinoin. None of these have worked for me. I thought the Tretinoin would but 14 weeks in and nothing has changed really.

Some store products I have tried include Loreal, Aveeno, Neutrogena, Clean and Clear, Oxy, Olay, Burt's Bees, AcneFree, Proactiv, Murad, Ambi, Biore, Cetaphil, CeraVe, Stridex, Clearasil, Garnier, Freeman, La Roche Posay, St.Ives, and Dove.

I am on the Depo-Provera shot and have been for almost 2 years so on April 17th when I am scheduled to get my next shot; but I am going to switch to a pill because I have to anyway. My primary doctor refereed me to a dermatologist and the dermatologist was fast and called back the same day they referred me to her. I have an appointment April 10th. My doctor told me to continue use of Tretinoin until I see her.

My acne is very, very, VERY, persistent. I get a new pimple everyday. It'll start out red, tender, and inflamed. Then within that night it'll turn into a whitehead. I also get a few cysts every month. My skin isn't oily. It's dry to the point where if I don't moisturize my skin will flake and get tight. It doesn't matter what face wash I use. But sometimes my face will get oily throughout the day which is weird because of how dry it is. My skin is also very red from the Tretinoin. I also have lots of scarring.

My question is: what else is there she could prescribe me?

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/21/2014 2:48 pm

Honestly, It looks like you have taken everything except sprironolactone and accutane. There is a new topical called aczone the dermatologist might recommend. From my experience and what others have said, it seems to work really well and fast for some people, and not at all for others. I was in the latter group, unfortunately. I was on it for about 3 months and it only seemed to help the acne blemishes after they already formed, if at all. It is also EXTREMELY expensive and many insurance companies don't cover it, unfortunately. If you think your acne is hormonal (gets worse during a certain times of the month, like before or after period) then spiro might be good.

The depo shot is known to cause acne, and it's listed as one of the common side-effects. Everyone I know who used the shot broke out terribly from it (I know of 4 off the top of my head) and continues to. One of my friends started getting acne a couple of years ago when she switched to the shot. She switched to the pill in December and her skin has improved noticably. So there may still be hope yours will improve when you go off the shot as well.

MemberMember
(@blackrosesxox)

Posted : 02/21/2014 2:57 pm

Honestly, It looks like you have taken everything except sprironolactone and accutane. There is a new topical called aczone the dermatologist might recommend. From my experience and what others have said, it seems to work really well and fast for some people, and not at all for others. I was in the latter group, unfortunately. I was on it for about 3 months and it only seemed to help the acne blemishes after they already formed, if at all. It is also EXTREMELY expensive and many insurance companies don't cover it, unfortunately. If you think your acne is hormonal (gets worse during a certain times of the month, like before or after period) then spiro might be good.

The depo shot is known to cause acne, and it's listed as one of the common side-effects. Everyone I know who used the shot broke out terribly from it (I know of 4 off the top of my head) and continues to. One of my friends started getting acne a couple of years ago when she switched to the shot. She switched to the pill in December and her skin has improved noticably. So there may still be hope yours will improve when you go off the shot as well.

That's what pisses me off. Excuse my language! But my doctor told me nothing about breakouts. She KNOWS I worry about acne and said nothing about it. When I saw a different doctor in the same clinic for something because my primary wasn't there, she told me IT DOES break you out. The reason I stayed on it was because of my heavy bleeding. I never got hormonal breakouts from what I remember. But ever since this shot my jawline and chin have been crazy! I am considering Accutane honestly. Do you think even though I have moderate yet persistent acne they would give me it?

Also, do you recommend a BC pill? I don't want one that gives high risks of blood clots because my mom's sister died from that...

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/21/2014 3:55 pm

I am assuming you are in America, and if so - then yes I think they would give it to you. I have very persistent, moderate acne as well and I started isotretinoin (accutane) in December. It hasn't been an easy ride (the initial break-out was pretty bad) but I definitely see steady improvement - something I have never seen with any other drug. I have been on Amoxycyclen, doxycyclen, minocyclen, bactrim, yaz (bc), sprironolactone, atralin (tretinoin), acanya (bp/clindamycin), and aczone. All of them I tried for at least 2 months (except for the antibiotics, if they didn't work after 6 weeks I moved on). My acne didn't budge. It got better, then it would get worse than it was. Eventually, I realized that every time I looked at a picture of myself from a few weeks prior, I thought "Argh, I wish I was that clear now", and that scared the CRAP out of me. I did a ridiculous amount of research into isotretinoin (accutane), and made the decision. I initially didn't want to, but now I am glad that I did.

With that being said, you might not need accutane - you still haven't ruled out the hormonal stuff. I would give the chance for depo to get out of your system. When you have your derm appointment, make sure you mention EVERYTHING you have taken (derms are notoriously dismissive, don't let him/her steam-roll you, ask as many questions as you can and be as honest as possible). One thing I would recommend doing is bringing in a list of everything you have done. As soon as they start asking you a question like "how have you treated your acne so far"? pull out the list and say "I brought a list of everything I have done about my acne, and all the questions I have - can I read it to you really quickly?". They will be less likely to interrupt you or rush you that way.

Definitely mention the depo-provera shot and that you suspect it might be a cause.

For BC Pill, I saw that you said in your other post that it was your mother's *step* sister that died. Was your aunt related to you by blood? I know that seems like an insensitive question but if she was not related to you, there is no reason to believe that you are at increased risk of blood-clots. If she was related to you by blood, it is definitely a concern you should discuss with your doctor. In actuality, blood clots from BC are quite rare in women without a genetic predisposition. Non-predisposed women who do not smoke and are under the age of 35 should not be very concerned.

Some BC will break you out, and some wont. Here is some information about how BCP affects acne:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0053061/

and here is a link to a post by another member about the "good" and "bad" kinds of birth control for acne:

My dermatologist told me that he does not often see women clear up completely from birth control alone, but it's helpful to know which ones to avoid.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/21/2014 5:37 pm

Hey there - i know the feeling of trying everything in your power to clear your acne up and having nothing work. In this sense you are not alone.

First off, you have to get the hormonal stuff sorted out or you'll continue to break out even if you have a good regimen going. Why is there a need for BC at all? You'll eventually have to get off it and when that happens, the cycle may start again.

In terms of options, accutance should be a last resort.

I would definitely try spiro to deal with your hormones and the regimen as a topical. You may also want to look into diet changes too

Good Luck

MemberMember
(@blackrosesxox)

Posted : 02/23/2014 2:36 pm

I am assuming you are in America, and if so - then yes I think they would give it to you. I have very persistent, moderate acne as well and I started isotretinoin (accutane) in December. It hasn't been an easy ride (the initial break-out was pretty bad) but I definitely see steady improvement - something I have never seen with any other drug. I have been on Amoxycyclen, doxycyclen, minocyclen, bactrim, yaz (bc), sprironolactone, atralin (tretinoin), acanya (bp/clindamycin), and aczone. All of them I tried for at least 2 months (except for the antibiotics, if they didn't work after 6 weeks I moved on). My acne didn't budge. It got better, then it would get worse than it was. Eventually, I realized that every time I looked at a picture of myself from a few weeks prior, I thought "Argh, I wish I was that clear now", and that scared the CRAP out of me. I did a ridiculous amount of research into isotretinoin (accutane), and made the decision. I initially didn't want to, but now I am glad that I did.

With that being said, you might not need accutane - you still haven't ruled out the hormonal stuff. I would give the chance for depo to get out of your system. When you have your derm appointment, make sure you mention EVERYTHING you have taken (derms are notoriously dismissive, don't let him/her steam-roll you, ask as many questions as you can and be as honest as possible). One thing I would recommend doing is bringing in a list of everything you have done. As soon as they start asking you a question like "how have you treated your acne so far"? pull out the list and say "I brought a list of everything I have done about my acne, and all the questions I have - can I read it to you really quickly?". They will be less likely to interrupt you or rush you that way.

Definitely mention the depo-provera shot and that you suspect it might be a cause.

For BC Pill, I saw that you said in your other post that it was your mother's *step* sister that died. Was your aunt related to you by blood? I know that seems like an insensitive question but if she was not related to you, there is no reason to believe that you are at increased risk of blood-clots. If she was related to you by blood, it is definitely a concern you should discuss with your doctor. In actuality, blood clots from BC are quite rare in women without a genetic predisposition. Non-predisposed women who do not smoke and are under the age of 35 should not be very concerned.

Some BC will break you out, and some wont. Here is some information about how BCP affects acne:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0053061/

and here is a link to a post by another member about the "good" and "bad" kinds of birth control for acne:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/330166-good-bad-birth-control-pills-and-implants-for-acne/

My dermatologist told me that he does not often see women clear up completely from birth control alone, but it's helpful to know which ones to avoid.

I think they were related by blood by her dad.

Hey there - i know the feeling of trying everything in your power to clear your acne up and having nothing work. In this sense you are not alone.

First off, you have to get the hormonal stuff sorted out or you'll continue to break out even if you have a good regimen going. Why is there a need for BC at all? You'll eventually have to get off it and when that happens, the cycle may start again.

In terms of options, accutance should be a last resort.

I would definitely try spiro to deal with your hormones and the regimen as a topical. You may also want to look into diet changes too

Good Luck

Because I have heavy bleeding which is why I went on the shot. My mom wants me on birth control just in case. And if I go on Acctune, I have to be on it.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/23/2014 8:20 pm

You don't have to be on birth control to be on accutane- at least not in the US. You sign papers stating you will not be sexually active for that time period. In any event, birth control may really hinder your progress but if the pros out weigh the cons, go for it.

MemberMember
(@phaim)

Posted : 02/23/2014 10:09 pm

i have used mostly everything you have tried and ive had acne for about 1 1/2 years now. However none of it seems to be working. just like you i get a new pimple every day and turns to a whitehead and i get cysts once in a while. My dermatologist recommended i try a chemical face peel and i am scheduled for an appointment for march. She says it clears up acne as well as scars fast, but we'll see.

MemberMember
(@blackrosesxox)

Posted : 02/24/2014 2:14 pm

i have used mostly everything you have tried and ive had acne for about 1 1/2 years now. However none of it seems to be working. just like you i get a new pimple every day and turns to a whitehead and i get cysts once in a while. My dermatologist recommended i try a chemical face peel and i am scheduled for an appointment for march. She says it clears up acne as well as scars fast, but we'll see.

I don't have insurance that covers cosmetic things like that. We have money issues because of health bills so they definitely won't let us..

You don't have to be on birth control to be on accutane- at least not in the US. You sign papers stating you will not be sexually active for that time period. In any event, birth control may really hinder your progress but if the pros out weigh the cons, go for it.

Well I am sexually active with my boyfriend of 2 years. Not ALL the time because he has more control then a lot of guys. lol we are "active" maybe twice or once a week even less then that because he doesn't think you need to have sex to have a good relationship. MY DREAM GUY. lol but I want to be on some sort of birth control. My doctor recommended the arm implant for birth control since birth control pills don't seem right for me. Would that mess up anything like my skin or if I take Accutane?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/24/2014 2:17 pm

Any form of hormones that you're putting into your body has the potential to interfere with treatment. It may be worth the sacrifice to not have sex for 6 months if it means having clear skin. But again, it's your call.

MemberMember
(@blackrosesxox)

Posted : 02/24/2014 2:22 pm

Any form of hormones that you're putting into your body has the potential to interfere with treatment. It may be worth the sacrifice to not have sex for 6 months if it means having clear skin. But again, it's your call.

I'll have to think about that. I mean, I've heard people say that taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen is one of the better BC pills for acne. I guess I'll have to talk to my dermatologist and doctor. I can't be on the shot anymore after my next appointment because it'll be 2 years after that.

MemberMember
(@real-acnekillerz)

Posted : 02/28/2014 12:05 am

Hello leoine , I will tell u the best way to reduce your acne to practically nothing.the only thing that worked great for me.including 2 courses of accutane.have your doctor put u on a cephalosporin antibiotic immediately as in duricef 2 500 mg a day, and most importantly take 400 mg of ibuprofen directly with each dose and I guarantee your acne will be gone.the cephalosporins are great for stubborn or severe acne.other great antibiotics are cephalexin ceftin vantin omnicef spectracef ceclor cedax and velosef good luck to you