Notifications
Clear all

Started Accutane Today! Advice?

MemberMember
(@svoloch)

Posted : 02/20/2014 11:38 pm

So after trying all over the counter products and all drugs except Accutane, I have finally made the decision to go on it. 20mg for the first month and next month if my blood work is all ok ill go up to 40mg. I took my first 2 pills couple hours ago and the only thing i can notice is my shoulders are kinda sore. Is that normal? Being the first pills i took? Means its working?

If you guys have any advice, products to use etc let me know! I'm really nervous but excited at the same time and i know they're countless others on here that know more about this then i do.

Thanks, A lot and hopefully this a journey with a positive result!

MemberMember
(@alpine)

Posted : 02/23/2014 11:00 pm

Hey man glad to see that you're taking the accutane route as well. I actually started my course a little over a week ago so I can give you some advice of what to expect pretty soon. I'm on 80mg/day (to me seems like a lot) but nonetheless I'm sticking with it. The first two or so days you shouldn't expect much, as it takes a little bit for the accutane to get into your system. Around day 3 I noticed that my lips started to dry out a little a my skin as well. I'd recommend investing in quite a bit of moisturizer (CeraVe or Cetaphil make great ones) and especially LIP BALM (I use Dr. Dan's Cortibalm, Carmex, and Aquaphor). If you start moisturizing/using lip balm before your lips dry out it'll make it MUCH more manageable for the coming months. Around day 4 my skin started to get a lot drying/flakier and I had a pretty bad breakout. Probably the worst it's ever been, so it's safe to say I hit the initial breakout pretty hard. I know it's different for everyone (some people have an IB, some don't), but don't have a heart attack if you do lol. I went to the doc today and she prescribed me a course of prednisone (for 12 days) that I will taper off of. It's a pretty strong anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressant, but if taken for only a short amount of time it's perfectly fine. In addition to many of its other uses, it's good for clearing up acne (extremely quickly, sometimes overnight) to prevent/cure the IB until the effects of accutane start to become more pronounced. So if you're nervous about it you can always ask your doc and see what they say. I've also noticed that when I work out (I lift and run) I get a lot more tired much quicker, and my muscles/joints get really sore. This is most likely the soreness you are feeling as well, and it's pretty common among accutane users. I wouldn't call it debilitating at all, but just take it easy when you continue to work out. No nosebleeds yet, but I'm sure those are next in line lol. I don't mean to scare you at all with this info, I just want to let you know what to prepare for in the near future. You'll look around the site and find your fair share of good reviews, bad reviews, and great reviews. Take them with a grain of salt - everyone's different. The first month is definitely the toughest, but the best way to make it easy and manageable is by preparing for the symptoms EARLY/BEFORE THEY HAPPEN. This includes, moisturizing twice a day (at least), lip balm, glucosamine/chondroitin (supplements for muscle/joint pain), and potentially an short course of prednisone (if you want to go that route). If there's one common denominator from all of the posts on this website, it's that it WORKS. Prepare early and always keep your head up - my brother did accutane as well and he's never regretted it once.

Feel free to post your progress throughout as well! I wish you the best of luck!

MemberMember
(@missvania)

Posted : 02/24/2014 6:53 am

I just started week 4 on accutane. I'm taking 30mg/day.

My advices so far?

_First of all, you should read the "FAQ for Accutane Users" post in the forum, it's really helpful

_Find a good moisturizer (i use eucerin 5% urea face cream, it's really good, but no so cheap) and a mild cleanser - it's all you're going to need;

_Find a good lipbalm, that not only hydrates, but also restores the skin on your lips; I use cicaplast balm (la roche posay) during the day and put a good amount of bepanthen at night (you can use aquaphor too). No problems so far...

_Drink a very good amount of water (2 to 3 liters a day / 8 to 10 glasses of water)

_Try to increase the intake of fibers (you'll need it to prevent some problems in the toilet, if you know what i mean..) - unfortunately i experienced some problems in week two which have know subsided, and those can be avoided if you be careful

_Try to take the pills with milk because accutane absorbs easily in fat. Avoid taking too much water when taking the pills or during the meal.

_You can experience an initial breakout. Before accutane i had mild inflammatory acne, but very oily skin and a lot of retencional acne (blackheads, comedones), and my IB started in week 3. It's pretty bad for what i had before accutane. Those blocked pores that i had are now reaching the surface. I have two cysts, and the other ones are really red white heads and they hurt a lot. They itch sometimes too. So, you should use some kind of topical treatment to use only on the pimples. I recommend something with salicylic acid, because it cleans the pores deep down from the gunk that it's trapped. I'm using Effaclar K because it's what i had before, but you can use what works best for you. But don't overuse the topical treatments, you should let accutane do it's job. It the breakout it's too bad talk to your doctor about the possibilities.

I also experienced dry eyes. And really nothing else, that i can remember...

MemberMember
(@svoloch)

Posted : 02/24/2014 1:54 pm

thanks guys for the advice! So for my update....ive taken 20mg for like 5 days now and i havent really seen any side effects so far and have no idea if its working :/ My lips have become sorta dry but i dunno if its just from the weather and my inner nose is a bit dry. But other then that nothing too weird has happen. I also have broken out more but like i said i don't know if thats just happening cuz i have acne or the drug is doing something.

MemberMember
(@alpine)

Posted : 02/24/2014 2:53 pm

Like I mentioned, it affects everyone differently but the the dry lips and nose (as well as the slight breakout) are more than enough to say it is. I've noticed that when the side effects do hit someone they do so rather quickly and abruptly - that being said your skin/lips should start drying out considerably soon. It's probable that since you are starting out on a rather low dosage you aren't experiencing the side-effects as quickly or forcefully. Might take a bit longer for them to show but the accutane is definitely working.

As a side note, I'm a day into my prednisone taper and I've gotta say that this is pretty wild. Most of my spots have either gone away or flattened, and is making my IB exceptionally more manageable. I know it's not a permanent fix by any stretch, but by the time I finish I'll be a month into accutane, long enough for my skin to start improving on its own.

Hang in there are keep us updated!

MemberMember
(@justincpht)

Posted : 02/24/2014 10:47 pm

I am in the middle of my 3rd month of 80mg/day.

You absolutely must get Dr. Dan's Cortibalm or your lips will hate you.

CeraVe moisturizing cream is absolutely amazing.

Don't think about it too much and do not worry about side effects... the mind is a powerful thing and you may think you are experiencing a side effect due to the drug when in fact it is being caused by you worrying about it.

MemberMember
(@svoloch)

Posted : 02/25/2014 3:19 am

k well update, i'm def breaking out like crazy! BUT whats weird is that usually i break out both on my back and face. My back usually get cystic acne but i have no acne on my back for like a week now! But my face is breaking out? Is that normal? haha im glad, well except this breakout. i CAN'T Wait to go on 40mg next month to get this fucken disease out of me!

MemberMember
(@alpine)

Posted : 02/25/2014 4:38 pm

Again, "normal" is relative since everyone is different. But yeah that sounds about right. From what I hear it goes through phases - some days will be good and some days will be bad. For the most part people have the most trouble/breakouts in the first month, and after that they generally get better and better. The accutane is basically changing the entire composition of your skin surface, so it's natural to be breaking out. It's definitely frustrating, I agree, but hang in there!

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/25/2014 4:56 pm

Sunscreen is extremely important! Use it on your lips, face and body. Accutane can make you really sensitive to the sun!

MemberMember
(@guzzi33)

Posted : 02/25/2014 5:37 pm

Hey!!!! Im starting today!!! Sooo scared and nervous!!! Just want it to be over with!!!

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/25/2014 6:31 pm

Hey!!!! Im starting today!!! Sooo scared and nervous!!! Just want it to be over with!!!

Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@svoloch)

Posted : 04/19/2014 12:45 am

OK SO UPDATE YOU GUYS!!!!! I finished the 20mg that first month and had no severe side effects, except for dry and cracked lips. I started on the 40mg the following month and i have 2 pills left til im done! Nothing out of the normal except the same dry stuff. Im going into my dermatologist in 2 days and probably gunna go on 60mg. Ive drinken, and went in the sun but i think i got a little sun burnt so i def need to put on some sunscreen. Either way ive gotten less acne, but it seems i still get whiteheads all the time, i thought by this time the acne would be gone pre say and i would just have to maintain the pills. You guys think this is normal im still getting acne at this time? I did start on 20mg and then 40mg......you think going straight to 60mg is the best choice? I do get no cystic acne tho which is nice.

MemberMember
(@svoloch)

Posted : 04/19/2014 1:44 pm

I actually am sticking to 40mg this coming month, since i started with 20mg he thinks its best I do 2 months on 40mg. My cholesterol went up a little but everything seems to be good. Any tips? Reply

MemberMember
(@alpine)

Posted : 04/19/2014 2:43 pm

Hey svoloch,

To answer your question - yes, it's "normal" to still be getting acne. Sometimes its more of a gradual progression and sometimes it's more abrupt (as in considerable to total clearing within a few weeks). I'm on the first week of my third month and while my face still gets a pimple here or there, my back basically has no actives! (just maybe some redness). People generally say that around the 12th week is the "magic week" in that you will see a dramatic improvement.

Being on a lower dose is also a mixed bag. Your symptoms won't be as severe (dry lips, eyes, skin, joint pain, etc.), but you will also be on the medicine for a longer period and may take a little longer to clear. It's all based on cumulative dosage (120mg/kg to 150mg/kg) so as you get closer to that mark your acne will get considerably better. Upping the dosage is great if you can handle it, and you should definitely start to see an appreciable improvement this month. Other than that, stick to moisturizing a ton, using a gentle cleanser, and WEAR SUNSCREEN. I've literally gotten a pink-ish sunburn just from walking 10 minutes to class. Granted I'm on the paler side, but it's still always a good idea since your skin is definitely more sensitive than it once was.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

MemberMember
(@svoloch)

Posted : 04/19/2014 2:46 pm

Hey svoloch,

To answer your question - yes, it's "normal" to still be getting acne. Sometimes its more of a gradual progression and sometimes it's more abrupt (as in considerable to total clearing within a few weeks). I'm on the first week of my third month and while my face still gets a pimple here or there, my back basically has no actives! (just maybe some redness). People generally say that around the 12th week is the "magic week" in that you will see a dramatic improvement.

Being on a lower dose is also a mixed bag. Your symptoms won't be as severe (dry lips, eyes, skin, joint pain, etc.), but you will also be on the medicine for a longer period and may take a little longer to clear. It's all based on cumulative dosage (120mg/kg to 150mg/kg) so as you get closer to that mark your acne will get considerably better. Upping the dosage is great if you can handle it, and you should definitely start to see an appreciable improvement this month. Other than that, stick to moisturizing a ton, using a gentle cleanser, and WEAR SUNSCREEN. I've literally gotten a pink-ish sunburn just from walking 10 minutes to class. Granted I'm on the paler side, but it's still always a good idea since your skin is definitely more sensitive than it once was.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thx man i'm glad someone responds on this site! and ya the doctor thinks another 40mg is good, so hopefully this 3rd month it'll help! What kind of foods you taking with the pill? and you taking any topical treatments at the sametime? Whats your dosage?

MemberMember
(@alpine)

Posted : 04/19/2014 4:33 pm

No worries man! 40mg again should definitely help. My derm actually started me on 80mg right out of the gate - I weigh around 70-ish kg, so in terms of side effects the first month and a half was hell for me. Thankfully the dryness and sore muscles aren't so bad. I think I'm going to be staying at 80mg for about a 4-5 month course. In terms of food, I usually just take both meals with whatever my biggest meal is. I'm sure you've heard this 1000 times, but since accutane is basically a shit ton of vitamin A, it's fat-soluble and should be taken with a fatty meal. I'll usually take it with anything from a glass of milk (with food) to a bacon and cheese omelette. I also am taking fish-oil supplements daily as well as something called Alpha-Lipoic-Acid (ALA). The fish oil helps with my sore joints and also can lower cholesterol and triglycerides. The ALA also helps lower triglycerides by metabolizing sugar in your muscles so that it can't be converted into triglycerides. If you're interested, you can find them in any CVS/Walgreens. That being said, these should be used in conjunction with a good diet, not replace it. As in, just because you may take fish oil doesn't mean you can now eat 4 pizzas a week (exaggeration but I think you get the point )

In terms of topicals, I use CeraVe Moisturizing Cream in the morning and night. I also use CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser in the morning and night. Really helps cleanse without drying. A lot of people say to NOT try medicated topicals (Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid, Glycolic Acid, etc) while on accutane as it really exacerbates the dryness and tends to "sting" a lot. I'm currently experimenting with PanOxyl 4% BP Creamy Wash and seeing if my skin can tolerate it. I've used it once so far and my skin does sting more when I put on moisturizer. That being said, is it a good idea? Depends. If you REALLY feel like you need something else in the meantime, give it a shot (make sure there's no more than about 5% BP or Salicylic Acid - it would just be way too strong). If your skin can't handle it, you'll know (stinging, burning, the whole 9 yards). Just be smart and realize that the accutane itself will clear you up almost completely in the next few weeks.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions!

MemberMember
(@svoloch)

Posted : 04/21/2014 2:11 pm

Thx your tips really help man! Btw update! My skin has gotten more clearer now and for some reason its not flaking anymore. I just started my second batch of 40mg. So is it a good thing my skin isn't getting overly dry now? like it did in the beginning or maybe my skin is getting used to the drug and its not having the best effect. I also been using daily facial wipes with cucumber and aloe before and after i wash my face. Helps to hydrate my skin. any ideas what's happening? Even my blackheads from my nose are like gone...

MemberMember
(@alpine)

Posted : 04/21/2014 8:14 pm

Hey svoloch,

Glad you're clearing up. The fact that your skin is no longer as dry is a good thing. Think of it as a combination of you keeping your skin constantly hydrated and your body dealing with the mass amounts of vitamin A better. In a way your body is getting used to the accutane, but not in the way that you are thinking. The accutane is not losing its efficacy at all - it's actually working better and better. Think of it in the same way as any topical treatment - usually when you start using things like Benzoyl Peroxide/Salicylic Acid/Retin-A, your skin gets pretty irritated and may even break out at first. Your body merely needs some time to adjust to the fact that you're glopping a bunch foreign chemicals onto it. However, after a little bit your skin begins to adjust and you can start to see the real benefits. The difference with accutane is that it's permanently changing the surface of your skin (smaller pores, less sebum, etc.) so that it stays clear. This is the reason why your blackheads are clearing. Not really a bacterial resistance issue like oral and topical antibiotics.

My advice would be to keep doing whatever your doing - stay moisturized and stay hydrated!

MemberMember
(@autumnb822)

Posted : 04/21/2014 9:13 pm

Im at the end of month 4 out of 6 months. I'm still breaking out. the first 3 months i was on 40mg a day and just had minor breakouts. near the end of the third month is when my skin went wild. they upped me to 80mg a day and still so far my skin is still pretty bad. make-up won't even cover the red spots. I've had a clear face MAYBE twice since I've been on it. not too worried though. I've done so much research and the majority say they broke out until month 5. yeah its annoying but it will definitely be worth it in the end. i regret that i didn't start taking it sooner. lavender essential oil and neosporin have been awesome. i just discovered the lavender oil. it helps scabs heal super fast, then i put neosporin on it. helps with the flaking and the redness. i had super oily skin so extremely dry skin wasn't one of my side effects. if you do have super dry itchy flakey skin. i wouldn't recommend the lavender oil.

MemberMember
(@alpine)

Posted : 04/22/2014 9:36 pm

Glad to hear you're almost done with your course. A lot of it depends on dosage - if you start on a lower dose (like 40mg, the side effects will be less severe but might persist longer). This is in comparison to someone who may be on, say, 80 or 90mg per day who will experience side effects much more severely, but for a shorter period of time (since their course is shorter). My brother had pretty bad acne and was on about 100mg a day - I think he was about 60kg. He was completely clear after about 3 months. Again, everyone's different and generally people are pretty clear going into month 4. Neosporin and Lavender Oil sounds pretty interesting - I might give it a go! Best of luck to both of you!