Notifications
Clear all

Can U Take Weight Gainer While On Accutane?

MemberMember
(@junnn)

Posted : 02/17/2014 3:20 am

I am currently taking accutane 30mg a day for 6-8 months and i have been thinking bout starting weight gainer as i am 20 but i am really skinny due to my high metabolism. However my weight gainer do have vitamin A. Around 270mg per serving. Its meant to be taken 3 times daily so its (270x3 times) around 800mg of vitamin a per day. I know that u cant take extra vitamin a prescription while on accutane but is 800mg of vitamin A bad too? Advice please guys :)

MemberMember
(@stroking-out)

Posted : 02/17/2014 12:15 pm

I wouldn't personally take a weight gainer with vitamin A in it whilst on isotretinoin, can you not just buy another weight gainer without added vitamins?

MemberMember
(@thechase78)

Posted : 02/25/2014 12:01 pm

I am very into fitness and lifting so I can understand wanting to gain weight. I used gainer for a few months when I first started lifting. I gained about 20-25 lbs and stopped because whey protein is a byproduct of milk so it may cause breakouts idk if this happens to you but I did to me. So I take soy sometimes egg protein. But if you can take whey I'd just throw it in a blender with some oats and peanut butter and whatever high in carbs yet still healthy junk you can find haha

MemberMember
(@junnn)

Posted : 03/04/2014 4:04 am

I wouldn't personally take a weight gainer with vitamin A in it whilst on isotretinoin, can you not just buy another weight gainer without added vitamins?

the weight gainer that the most prominent brand in my country sell contains vitamin A.. 1 day of 3 servings = 800+ mg vitamin A.

Is that bad?

I am very into fitness and lifting so I can understand wanting to gain weight. I used gainer for a few months when I first started lifting. I gained about 20-25 lbs and stopped because whey protein is a byproduct of milk so it may cause breakouts idk if this happens to you but I did to me. So I take soy sometimes egg protein. But if you can take whey I'd just throw it in a blender with some oats and peanut butter and whatever high in carbs yet still healthy junk you can find haha

well i do not really know how to make my own weight gainer/shake. any advice will be helpful thanks :)

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 03/04/2014 4:43 pm

oats, whey, peanut butter, prob a great gainer.

just get a blender!

MemberMember
(@justincpht)

Posted : 03/06/2014 10:40 pm

I would avoid all possible other sources of Vitamin A that you can. While taking Accutane, Vitamin A overdose should be a concern and 800mg a day on top of Accutane sounds like a lot. A lot of the side effects of Accutane such as joint pain, hair loss, eczema, etc, are actually caused by a Vitamin A overdose. (I am not a medical expert this is from my own research). Remember that since Vitamin A is fat soluble, it is stored in your liver and stays around for a very long time (6 months to a year).

Also a word on supplements in general... they are absolutely positively 100% useless and a waste of money. Your body can only use a certain amount of protein. Drinking whey protein shakes only causes your body to use the extra protein as an energy source. In order to do this, your liver removes the Nitrogen from the amino acids in the protein which can cause liver damage. Eating lots of protein + accutane + extra vitamin A = a destroyed liver, hair loss, extreme joint pain, eczema, and a very terrible experience while on accutane.

If you want to gain weight... eat more food! Eat, eat, eat. If you are an active male between 18-24ish you should be eating at least 2400 cal/day. If you go to the gym for an hour, add 300. If you want to gain weight add 300 more. You should be eating between 3000-3200 cal/day.

As far as gaining it a healthy way... Around 15% of calories should come from protein, no more than 30% fat (with no more than 10% from saturated fat), and the rest from carbs. (carbs and protein have 4 cal/g and fat has 9 cal/g, using these numbers you can calculate % of calories form carbs, protein, and fat).

And just for fun, if you weigh 160 lbs, or 72kg, you only need 86.4g of protein to gain muscle (0.8g/kg of protein is recommended, goes up to 1.2g/kg for those attempting to gain lean muscle mass). All extra protein will be used as an energy source or stored as fat. Following the 15% of calories rule, you would be consuming around 120g of protein just from the 3200 calories you're eating (with about 30g left over) without expensive supplements.

MemberMember
(@junnn)

Posted : 03/08/2014 7:09 am

oats, whey, peanut butter, prob a great gainer.

just get a blender!

any step by step instruction? haha this will sound really stupid but i have no idea how to. You just add a spoon of peanut butter into the blender along with the oats and whey?

I would avoid all possible other sources of Vitamin A that you can. While taking Accutane, Vitamin A overdose should be a concern and 800mg a day on top of Accutane sounds like a lot. A lot of the side effects of Accutane such as joint pain, hair loss, eczema, etc, are actually caused by a Vitamin A overdose. (I am not a medical expert this is from my own research). Remember that since Vitamin A is fat soluble, it is stored in your liver and stays around for a very long time (6 months to a year).

Also a word on supplements in general... they are absolutely positively 100% useless and a waste of money. Your body can only use a certain amount of protein. Drinking whey protein shakes only causes your body to use the extra protein as an energy source. In order to do this, your liver removes the Nitrogen from the amino acids in the protein which can cause liver damage. Eating lots of protein + accutane + extra vitamin A = a destroyed liver, hair loss, extreme joint pain, eczema, and a very terrible experience while on accutane.

If you want to gain weight... eat more food! Eat, eat, eat. If you are an active male between 18-24ish you should be eating at least 2400 cal/day. If you go to the gym for an hour, add 300. If you want to gain weight add 300 more. You should be eating between 3000-3200 cal/day.

As far as gaining it a healthy way... Around 15% of calories should come from protein, no more than 30% fat (with no more than 10% from saturated fat), and the rest from carbs. (carbs and protein have 4 cal/g and fat has 9 cal/g, using these numbers you can calculate % of calories form carbs, protein, and fat).

And just for fun, if you weigh 160 lbs, or 72kg, you only need 86.4g of protein to gain muscle (0.8g/kg of protein is recommended, goes up to 1.2g/kg for those attempting to gain lean muscle mass). All extra protein will be used as an energy source or stored as fat. Following the 15% of calories rule, you would be consuming around 120g of protein just from the 3200 calories you're eating (with about 30g left over) without expensive supplements.

Eating is of no use though. i tried that and anyone with a really high metabolism will know that simply eating doesnt really help them to reach acceptable weights as they "dissolve" food quickly. i eat a lot especially at night (12am-2am) and it does nothing to me. I am still slightly under weight. i could eat 6 meals a day and it will still be the same ):