Notifications
Clear all

Forehead Breaking Out In To Tiny Bumps - Still Breaking Out In Random Spots, Especially Neck.

MemberMember
(@phont)

Posted : 02/12/2014 5:11 pm

The lighting is bad on the photos, but it sort of shows you the problem I'm having.

I can't seem to find a solid routine to help clear my skin up.

As of right now, I'm using Cetaphil Daily Cleanser in the mornings followed by a Clean and Clear Moisturizing Lotion with Sacrylic Acid and then Clean and Clear with 10% Benzoyl Peroxide and applying more Clean and Clear lotion at night.

It's not working for me as I keep breaking out everywhere, especially my forehead which I've never really had this problem with.

I've also tried using Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion but that seemed to break me out more.

Is there anything I should add to my routine?

post-374281-0-37810200-1392242932.jpg

post-374281-0-58270100-1392242935.jpg

post-374281-0-37810200-1392242932.jpg

post-374281-0-58270100-1392242935.jpg

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/12/2014 5:33 pm

You could give ~10% glycolic acid and/or a 3% to 10% sulfur lotion or mask a try. 0.5% to 1% OTC retinol can help, but it's not as strong as prescription retinoids.

MemberMember
(@phont)

Posted : 02/12/2014 5:48 pm

I've been reading a lot of good things on Manuka Honey and Jojoba Oil as a cleanser and moisturizer. Is it worth giving those products a shot?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/12/2014 6:07 pm

There's some evidence that Manuka honey is a wound healer for burns, but not for any other skin condition. Jojoba oil is an occlusive agent like petroleum, only weaker. Jojoba oil does make a nice emollient, though.

Manuka honey and jojoba oil aren't worth it by themselves. Neither of them have cleansing properties per se, and they won't do much if at all to offset potential dryness.

Which Clean & Clear moisturizer are you using? Last I checked, they mostly contained 0.5% salicylic acid, which isn't enough most of the time. 2% salicylic acid is better.

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 02/12/2014 6:46 pm

Personally a lot of moisturizers made me break out because of different ingredients in them so it may be your moisturizer. Right now I use the Cetaphil moisturizer for sensitive skin which is gentle and it works really well for me. You can read reviews of different moisturizers on this website or another website which is called www.Paula'sChoice.com which is really good too.

Have you tried the Regimen? I have been on it for about 6 weeks and the bumps on my forehead are finally gone! It is worth taking a look at in my opinion. It doesn't recommend that you use salicylic acid at the same time as benzoyl peroxide because it can cause irritation which in turn can cause breakouts.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@phont)

Posted : 02/12/2014 8:14 pm

@Michelle I'm using the clean and clear that has .5%. That is correct. It most likely is my moisturizer. I used the same routine I am now 6 months ago but instead just used regular lotion instead of a moisturizer and my skin was perfectly cleared but I tried that recently and still broke out.

@Hope7 I've heard people recommending to me Cetaphil. I might give it a try.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/12/2014 8:26 pm

Neutrogena still has a 2% SA lotion. Nightly 0.5% to 1% OTC retinol may be of help, as well as 5% to 10% glycolic acid.

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 02/12/2014 10:25 pm

I think that you shouldn't add things, but minimize them. Using 10% BP and Salicylic acid at once is too much for you. You should just stick to one thing, for example BP, and a might lighter one, like 2.5%. BP is more for blemishes, zits, pimples, etc. and Salicylic acid is more for blackheads. You should do something more like the regimen, where you have a non-medicated cleanser, 2.5% BP, and a non-medicated moisturizer. It is very gentle and safe. I know that from experience using too many products at once can seriously mess up your face. I once using the Clean & Clear 10% BP wash, Rapid Clear Salicylic acid wash, and Retin-A at the same time, and I had a horrible breakout instantly. It took me two months to restore my skin, and even then I was left with bad scars and hyperpigmentation. I would suggest that you use gentler and safer products that are meant for sensitive skin and are non-medicated. Hope I helped :)

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/12/2014 10:48 pm

@ cupcakejess: A few comparative studies concluded that 2% SA (all over the face) is a little better than 5% BP, because of it's preventative effects.

@phont: Oops, forgot to mention: use the BP as a spot treatment if it's giving you too much dryness all over your forehead.

MemberMember
(@phont)

Posted : 02/13/2014 4:40 pm

Should I keep using the Cetaphil as a cleanser?

I'll try to get the lotion and stop using the BP.

How would I use it as a spot treatment though?

And I don't think my forehead was breaking out like this until I started using the .5% sacrylic acid moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/13/2014 5:01 pm

Cetaphil is a nice, gentle cleanser so yes you can keep using it (as long as you don't have eczema or hypersensitive skin).

For spot treatments, use a very tiny dot (about a pinhead-sized amount) and dab it on the active pimples.

It's possible that the 0.5% salicylic acid moisturizer is causing irritation. Do a patch test on your wrist or the crook of your elbow and watch it for 24-48 hours. I sometimes leave moisturizers I've never tried on for 72 hours for precaution. Watch for any redness, burning, stinging, and/or itching.

You can also patch test behind your knee or your earlobe, but you need a good mirror and lighting.

MemberMember
(@phont)

Posted : 02/13/2014 7:25 pm

I have eczema, but not on my face. It's on my ribcage.

Before when I washed my face and cleared it up, I used cocoa butter lotion and it worked but recently I tried a different vitamin E lotion and it broke me out. Should I try to use the cocoa butter again?

And what would be a good alternative to cetaphil as a mild cleanser? I'll probably only use the cleanser in the morning and apply lotion/moisturizer then use a 5% BP at night with lotion/moisturizer afterwards.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/13/2014 10:40 pm

High concentrations of Vitamin E (2%+) has been known to cause irritation. This might be the case with you.

A few alternatives without SLS are the CeraVe Hydrating and CeraVe Foaming cleansers. Aveeno's Moisturizing Facial Bar and Dove Sensitive Skin Beauty Bar (Unscented) would also work.

Which cocoa butter lotion are you using?

MemberMember
(@phont)

Posted : 02/19/2014 6:32 pm

I haven't used any cocoa butter yet.

I bought the cetaphil daily moisturizing lotion 15 spf and it seemed to help for a little while but it's just become as bad as it use to be.