Notifications
Clear all

Turns Out I Have Low Thyroid; What Does This Mean?

MemberMember
(@cs99)

Posted : 02/06/2014 2:20 pm

So, after doing research I assumed I had high androgen levels: acne since 12, small excess hair on body, hair shedding. But I did a hormone test and found I have low thyroid (normal range is 8-18 and I'm 6-something). She said my male hormones were lowish. She wants me to do another test and if it confirms my low thyroid, she wants to put me on thyroid meds.

Do you think my acne could be a symptom of hypothyroidism? The only symptoms I have are feeling cold (esp. hands and feet), fatigue, and dry hands and feet. No weight issues. Skin on face is very oily and acne-prone, but not cystic. I never even considered this, and know very little about it.

I am so frustrated that I didn't get spironolactone but I want to know if anyone has had hypothyroid-induced acne or if that's even possible. I feel really lost. My symptoms seem linked to androgens but my doc says all hormones are linked and imbalances have a variety of effects

MemberMember
(@elkhoundgold)

Posted : 02/06/2014 3:53 pm

http://www.caresfoundation.org/productcart/pc/ncah_late_onset_cah.html

^Read this. Try to get tested for it.

MemberMember
(@danthenewworld)

Posted : 02/06/2014 4:33 pm

i'm curious how ur investigation goes. i heard people here saying they have cold extremities, including me. also i think a lot of the guys here are low in testosterone, including me. one guy on youtube checked for this and indeed he has low testosterone (immature beard, etc)

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 02/06/2014 9:01 pm

Yes, thyroid can cause symptoms similar to high androgens, that's why it's important to check your thyroid before taking anti-androgens like spironolactone. If your issue is thyroid and not androgens, then thyroid medication can actually improve your skin and facial hair. There are some natural remedies for low thyroid as well, but I haven't looked into those in detail.

Low thyroid can affect the entire immune system, so maybe that could explain the hair shedding. You may want to ask your doctor to run some tests for vitamin & mineral deficiencies as well. If you find some deficiencies, then your symptoms can improve with simple vitamin/mineral supplementation and perhaps thyroid medication. Do your research before taking any thyroid medication...some can cause other issues like weight gain.

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 02/09/2014 3:15 am

Thyroid controls a metabolism and body temperature. Classic signs are thinning outer eyebrows, sub-orbital edema (lower eye lid swelling), elevated blood pressure, cold extremities, myxedema, diffuse hair loss, lower core body temperature and a number of others.

Since thyroid controls metabolism system wide, correcting the imbalance could also increase the production of other hormones.

There are 2 very important pieces to that cant be missed.

1. Check 8 am cortisol as a deficiency will increase the metabolism of combined thyroid to free thyroid making the therapy unpleasant.

2. Use a combined T4/T3 medicine like Armour.

MemberMember
(@nuckingfuts)

Posted : 02/24/2014 9:39 am

So, after doing research I assumed I had high androgen levels: acne since 12, small excess hair on body, hair shedding. But I did a hormone test and found I have low thyroid (normal range is 8-18 and I'm 6-something). She said my male hormones were lowish. She wants me to do another test and if it confirms my low thyroid, she wants to put me on thyroid meds.

Do you think my acne could be a symptom of hypothyroidism? The only symptoms I have are feeling cold (esp. hands and feet), fatigue, and dry hands and feet. No weight issues. Skin on face is very oily and acne-prone, but not cystic. I never even considered this, and know very little about it.

I am so frustrated that I didn't get spironolactone but I want to know if anyone has had hypothyroid-induced acne or if that's even possible. I feel really lost. My symptoms seem linked to androgens but my doc says all hormones are linked and imbalances have a variety of effects

i took 12 drops of 2% Lugol's iodine with selenium and sea salt in distilled water daily for my hypothyroidism and my very long-term cystic acne improved by 90-95% !

MemberMember
(@cs99)

Posted : 02/24/2014 6:44 pm

i took 12 drops of 2% Lugol's iodine with selenium and sea salt in distilled water daily for my hypothyroidism and my very long-term cystic acne improved by 90-95% !

How does that help with your hypothyroidism?

MemberMember
(@nuckingfuts)

Posted : 02/24/2014 8:18 pm

How does that help with your hypothyroidism?

your thyroid needs iodide to make thyoid hormones and Lugol's has both iodine and iodide, of course you may still need natural dessicated thyroid if Lugol's don't work..........other nutrients are needed apart from Lugol's like selenium, thyrosine, vit B12, magnesium and others...........

but Lugol's + selenium have been fantastic for my cystic acne