Notifications
Clear all

Acne All Over Face After Drinking Vegetable Juice ?

MemberMember
(@scotty8996)

Posted : 01/18/2014 5:05 pm

Hi all.

2 weeks ago I started drinking a small glass of pure vegetable juice, once in the morning and once in the evening. A few days after, I started to get acne on my chin and around my mouth area. Quite large whiteheads. But I'd recently finished my monthly around that time so put them down to my hormones.

Now, 2 weeks on. I'm COVERED in acne. from my forehead down to my jawline. I've also got cystic acne on my cheeks, 3 of them so far. They are huge and so painful that I find it hard to open my mouth or eat. I've never had cystic acne before.

I can't say for sure that it's the vegetable juice but it would seem that way as nothing else in my diet/routine changed.

I'm not allergic to any of the veg that was in the drink either.

What's going on ?? Was I drinking too much or something ?

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/18/2014 5:26 pm

i would say so

MemberMember
(@katie789)

Posted : 01/18/2014 5:39 pm

I would say that the juice is "purging" your skin, but because you've never had cysts before, I think the juice is causing your breakout. I would stop drinking it and see if it gets better - then maybe introduce one glass a day or something and monitor your skin's response.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/18/2014 9:47 pm

YEA SO LETS BLAME THE VEGETABLES AND FRUIT FOR OUR ACNE

fml smh

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 01/18/2014 10:52 pm

fml smh

One of the largest contributors and diet proponents on this forum gets cysts from eating oranges.

Acne has a multitude of causes, and what's true for one is not necessarily true for another.

If the veggie juice is causing a negative reaction, stop drinking it.

MemberMember
(@interested19)

Posted : 01/19/2014 4:37 am

did you put spinach in it? because that has a fair bit of iodine in it which can cause acne

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 01/19/2014 10:12 am

Hi all.

2 weeks ago I started drinking a small glass of pure vegetable juice, once in the morning and once in the evening. A few days after, I started to get acne on my chin and around my mouth area. Quite large whiteheads. But I'd recently finished my monthly around that time so put them down to my hormones.

Now, 2 weeks on. I'm COVERED in acne. from my forehead down to my jawline. I've also got cystic acne on my cheeks, 3 of them so far. They are huge and so painful that I find it hard to open my mouth or eat. I've never had cystic acne before.

I can't say for sure that it's the vegetable juice but it would seem that way as nothing else in my diet/routine changed.

Depending on the juice, you could be experiencing a purge. What kind of juice was it? If it is a purge, it will pass. This sometimes happens to people who juice-fast because juice fasting relieves your body from having to process all that food in your gut and allows it to release toxins it's been holding on to (which everyone has). This is actually a beneficial thing (I know it doesn't seem like it), but if you can't handle it, go easy on the juice. Carrot is my favorite detoxing juice and I have never experienced a purge while drinking it because it is very anti-inflammatory.

fml smh

One of the largest contributors and diet proponents on this forum gets cysts from eating oranges.

Acne has a multitude of causes, and what's true for one is not necessarily true for another.

Oranges and other fruits are bred to be very sweet, and many people have acne caused by insulin spikes. I can't drink orange juice either because they have a high glycemic index. I don't eat sweet fruits, especially bananas which are a glucose BOMB. I consider them to be candy, since your body doesn't know the difference between an insulin spike from a Snickers and an insulin spike from a banana. Because there are few vegetables that have a high GI, I would suspect that it's a purge, and not necessarily a negative reaction per se. I don't recommend juicing large amounts of dark leafy greens if you've never done it before because they are so nutrient dense that your body might be like WHOAH WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME??? and then break out in reaction. The best way to do it is to juice a larger amount of a watery, anti-inflammatory veggie like cucumber with some carrot and a small handful or so of a dark leafy green. This way you can avoid the worst purge symptoms.

MemberMember
(@bonsai77)

Posted : 01/19/2014 11:14 am

Body is detoxing, so skin is purging.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/19/2014 1:30 pm

Hi all.

Depending on the juice, you could be experiencing a purge. What kind of juice was it? If it is a purge, it will pass. This sometimes happens to people who juice-fast because juice fasting relieves your body from having to process all that food in your gut and allows it to release toxins it's been holding on to (which everyone has). This is actually a beneficial thing (I know it doesn't seem like it), but if you can't handle it, go easy on the juice. Carrot is my favorite detoxing juice and I have never experienced a purge while drinking it because it is very anti-inflammatory.

>>>

fml smh

Oranges and other fruits are bred to be very sweet, and many people have acne caused by insulin spikes. I can't drink orange juice either because they have a high glycemic index. I don't eat sweet fruits, especially bananas which are a glucose BOMB. I consider them to be candy, since your body doesn't know the difference between an insulin spike from a Snickers and an insulin spike from a banana. Because there are few vegetables that have a high GI, I would suspect that it's a purge, and not necessarily a negative reaction per se. I don't recommend juicing large amounts of dark leafy greens if you've never done it before because they are so nutrient dense that your body might be like WHOAH WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME??? and then break out in reaction. The best way to do it is to juice a larger amount of a watery, anti-inflammatory veggie like cucumber with some carrot and a small handful or so of a dark leafy green. This way you can avoid the worst purge symptoms.

Load of rubbish ^.

I was/am? acne prone and eat 10~ bananas a day, handful of dates, and lots of other sugary, yummy fruits. It doesn't break me out...

Fruits and vegtables are the best food out there for your acne. No amount of ANIMAL FAT will do you good long term. Oils are not a health food.

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 01/19/2014 2:00 pm

Hi all.

>>>>>>

fml smh

Load of rubbish ^.

I was/am? acne prone and eat 10~ bananas a day, handful of dates, and lots of other sugary, yummy fruits. It doesn't break me out...

Fruits and vegtables are the best food out there for your acne. No amount of ANIMAL FAT will do you good long term. Oils are not a health food.

Eating animal organs, fats, meats vegetables and low GI foods. Avoiding sweet fruits, sugars and dairy. Skin is perfect. Glad high GI fruits are working for you, but they don't for me!

And pastured animal fat actually is good for you. It's factory farmed, corn-fed, stressed out animal fat that is bad. Humans can survive quite well on an animal-only diet, so if the lipid hypothesis was correct, the Inuit would have all died out due to heart disease at 35. My skin didn't clear until I quit sugar, dairy, and factory farmed junk in favor of whole foods, cold-water fish, vegetables and yes, *horror*... fats.

I had to overcome my fear of fat to get past my body's issues with hormone regulation and insulin resistance. I have taken years to come to this conclusion, and have tried everything else to no avail. It's absurd to call a normal human diet "rubbish". Eating fish is not rubbish. Eating winter squash with stewed rabbit is not rubbish. If something is working for you, fantastic. That is great. Don't bash other methods of getting healthy just because you did something different. I'm in the best shape of my life, and my skin looks fantastic.

MemberMember
(@sterlingmoon)

Posted : 01/30/2014 10:50 am

I had a similar issue. I make green smoothies every morning Monday-Friday. I recently read about fruits that can cause breakouts to acne prone skin. Strawberries was one of them. And I always put strawberries in my smoothies and a banana, and others but I will be eliminating them starting tomorrow. So I will see if that is what caused me to break out.

MemberMember
(@kiat)

Posted : 01/31/2014 10:56 am

For me, banana gives me a breakout.