Notifications
Clear all

My Story, My Changed Life And My Clear Skin

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 01/18/2014 10:45 am

This post has been a long time coming. I think it's finally time.

I will try to keep this as short as possible, no guarantees ;]

I apologize for the general lack of pictures. I have a few on my profile of when my acne was at it's worst. Otherwise, I never took pictures of it and ALWAYS wore makeup out and when taking pictures. I don't wear foundation or anything any more, though.

This is the back-story. Skip ahead for the meat and sweet potatoes.

When I was 12, I started to develop acne, a pimple here or there. For the next three years, I had mild acne, confined mostly to my forehead, but otherwise normal skin. Between 15 and 16, my skin suddenly took a turn for the worst. I had begun using harsher products to try and clear my skin, and they really tore it up. Suddenly, my skin was oily and my acne went between moderate and severe. I had some cystic lesions, but mostly just painful bumps all over. I started looking into dietary solutions, and went vegetarian for a while to no avail. I found out, after dealing with chronic stomach pain, I was gluten intolerant. After cutting gluten, my skin improved at little, and the sharp pains after eating gluten subsided, but the chronic ache never went away. I went through some pretty heavy life issues, was depressed by the time I turned 17, and had become so obsessed with diet that I had an eating disorder. I starved, binged, purged. I became addicted to the high I felt after purging. I almost flunked out of high school. I was convinced acne was ruining my life, and I hated myself. Legitimately hated myself. I became a pretty bitter person.

Life progressed in spite of acne, and as my life started to get busier and more active, basically once I gave up being a shut-in and moved away, I started worrying less and less about my acne, but even still it was a large part of my life. I still had stomach issues. I met the man who would be my husband when I was turning 19. I knew my life had to change. I had to open up and let someone in, or else I would push this man away.

The last time I purged was over a year ago. After I did it, in a McDonald's bathroom, I knew something had to change. I had been eating a "healthy" diet for years, oatmeal with water for breakfast, salads, lean meat, lots of whole grains and veggies. It left me wanting for more, so I would binge. After I binged, I would purge. I also tried just about every single product out there for acne, natural and not natural with little/no improvement. I wasted a LOT of money.

Here is the important stuff:

Research on "leaky gut syndrome" brought me to Mark's Daily Apple, a Paleo blog site. I had read about the Paleo diet years prior but didn't entirely buy it. This time, it clicked. It made sense and I dived right in. It was hard for the first few weeks, then it became so easy and I never wanted to go back.

Paleo is not just a diet, it's a lifestyle. Eating healthy, real, quality food made huge changes in my life, but also going out and getting sunshine, socializing with my friends, hiking and biking with my husband; they are all part of the Paleo lifestyle and made huge differences in my mental and physical health. A combination of a gentle skin routine and this lifestyle cleared my skin, but I consider that to be the smallest gain. Here are some of the benefits I have reaped:

-Clear skin, not too dry or oily

-No more "brain fog"

-Stronger, toned body

-Healthy pregnancy with no weight gain (other than the weight of the baby/placenta/fluids) and no stretch marks

-Quick post-partum healing and flat tummy within a month

-Healing of scars (I had a ton of hyperpigmentation scars that made my acne look even worse than it was)

-Mental health

-No more congestion, seasonal allergies

-No more chronic abdominal pain!

-Less stress: I don't get jittery and anxious much anymore

-Better focus

-Improved eyesight (this isn't voodoo, studies have shown that blood sugar levels can change the pressure in your eyes and thus your eyesight, diabetics in particular have eye issues due to this)

-More energy so I can play with my 8 month-old!

-Better sleep

-Calmer temper (I used to have an awful temper, now I take things in better)

-Minimal menstrual symptoms

I know many will say these improvements are "in my head" or because I'm eating more real food, but remember that I was eating lots of "whole" foods before as well, and I never expected to reap so many benefits.

In conclusion

Look into the Paleo lifestyle. I love http://marksdailyapple.com because it goes in-depth into the science and research related to this lifestyle, as well as focuses on the quality and source of your food and your entire life, from physical activity, sexual health, personal relationships, general happiness and more. And while the site's author has books and other resources for sale, all of the information is on the site, which is good if you're cheap like me. Don't just focus on your skin, your entire life can improve.

My skin regimen specifically is as follows:

Morning: Splash face with warm water, dry and moisturize with a few drops of Jojoba oil.

Night: Massage face with joboba oil, remove with a warm, wet baby wash cloth or cotton fabric. The baby wash cloth is important as opposed to a regular one because the fibers are much smaller and gentler. You can also use cotton rounds, but you'll waste money over time.

I also occasionally do a bentonite clay mask as maintenance.

Questions? Comments? I pray this helps even just one person!

MemberMember
(@faithbox)

Posted : 01/18/2014 11:46 am

Im trying this for acne and I have an anxiety issue that flares up randomly it is weird. I was hoping this could tackle both, but I feel amazing eating this way. I don't want to go back. Congratulations!

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 01/18/2014 11:53 am

Im trying this for acne and I have an anxiety issue that flares up randomly it is weird. I was hoping this could tackle both, but I feel amazing eating this way. I don't want to go back. Congratulations!

Anxiety is a weird thing. Like acne, there is no one cause for it. Diet and lifestyle help, but it's also one of those things where you need to be concious of what makes your anxiety flare and how to cope. We all get nervious in some situations, which is normal, but having inexplicable anxiety flares is abnormal. Meditation helps. Sugar is the main trigger for my anxiety.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/18/2014 2:01 pm

Congrats! It is frustrating having acne but we all have to find a way to find what works for us without obsessing.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/19/2014 12:45 am

yeah Mark's daily apple is a great site. I would also highly recommend it

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/19/2014 9:26 am

I get the same results without the Paleo diet. I believe in actually knowing what to avoid thru either diagnostic blood tests or DNA testing (they both are available). This way you are eating what you should and not eating what you shouldn't. I'm very curious what the long term affect the Paleo Diet has on people ( i'm not talking about a few years but decades). My clients or myself could not go on the Paleo diet without having issues.

Either way congrats to you and hope you have long continued success on being acne free and healthy. Nothing else you could really ask for.

MemberMember
(@dylonspythotfyre)

Posted : 01/20/2014 11:51 am

I get the same results without the Paleo diet. I believe in actually knowing what to avoid thru either diagnostic blood tests or DNA testing (they both are available). This way you are eating what you should and not eating what you shouldn't. I'm very curious what the long term affect the Paleo Diet has on people ( i'm not talking about a few years but decades). My clients or myself could not go on the Paleo diet without having issues.

What types of issues did you and your clients experience?

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/22/2014 4:54 pm

Arthritis, Acid Reflux, Joint Pain, Asthma, Acne, psoriasis, dermatitis herpetiformis, rosacea, migraines, lupus, S.O.B, vision loss, B12 deficiency, liver and kidney disorders, anemia, meniere's disease, fatigue, hypocalcemia, hyperlipidemia, obesity, and a few other minor issues. I have yet to run into a chronic disease that I can't reverse. That's simply by following the clients blood test results and guiding them through the poor food labeling set forth by the FDA.

I'm just doing what many others are doing except I have 2 different types of amazing blood tests showing me the way. Without them I would not have known how to do this.

MemberMember
(@ck19)

Posted : 01/22/2014 7:11 pm

How quickly did you see results? As in, did breakouts stopped right when you changed to a new diet?

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/22/2014 9:07 pm

How quickly did you see results? As in, did breakouts stopped right when you changed to a new diet?

2 days for acne, 2 weeks for cholesterol, 8 days for acid reflux, 3 days for liver disorder, and according to Dr's that perform gastric bypass surgery diabetes reversal ranges from 2 days to 4 weeks.

Everyone is different but the end results are the same.

Ps... JJ Virgin Diet and the Omni Diet make the same claims that I do. I know theirs work because they use elimination dieting and focus on the same foods that the blood tests tell me to eliminate.

MemberMember
(@ck19)

Posted : 01/23/2014 2:55 am

2 days for acne, 2 weeks for cholesterol, 8 days for acid reflux, 3 days for liver disorder, and according to Dr's that perform gastric bypass surgery diabetes reversal ranges from 2 days to 4 weeks.

Ps... JJ Virgin Diet and the Omni Diet make the same claims that I do. I know theirs work because they use elimination dieting and focus on the same foods that the blood tests tell me to eliminate.

I did a blood test for food intolerance because my naturopathic doctor said I had leaky gut. Basically I reacted to a lot of things and the only meat I can eat is pork. No fish, no dairy, no gluten, no eggs, no rice, no almonds. But I can eat shellfish, potatoes, most fruits, most veggies, corn, and pretty much all spices.

So basically if I incorporate the Paleo diet into this too, I will have to cut out sweet potatoes which I'm eating, and then get grass-fed pork. I also do a lot of protein shakes (with hemp protein) that includes flaxseed, chia seeds, fish oil, coconut oil, blueberries, blackberries. But with my food intolerances, I'm pretty limited.

I've been on the elimination diet (not the Paleo) for about four days now and still getting breakouts. I might cut out potatoes and see if that makes a difference, although results doesn't show me being intolerant to it. I really don't see what else I'm eating that's causing it.

What about quinoa?

MemberMember
(@dylonspythotfyre)

Posted : 01/23/2014 3:03 am

Arthritis, Acid Reflux, Joint Pain, Asthma, Acne, psoriasis, dermatitis herpetiformis, rosacea, migraines, lupus, S.O.B, vision loss, B12 deficiency, liver and kidney disorders, anemia, meniere's disease, fatigue, hypocalcemia, hyperlipidemia, obesity, and a few other minor issues. I have yet to run into a chronic disease that I can't reverse. That's simply by following the clients blood test results and guiding them through the poor food labeling set forth by the FDA.

I'm just doing what many others are doing except I have 2 different types of amazing blood tests showing me the way. Without them I would not have known how to do this.

The Paleo diet is not going to give you Lupus, Arthritis, or any of these other conditions.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/23/2014 8:53 am

The Paleo diet is not going to give you Lupus, Arthritis, or any of these other conditions.

Yes. Eating real food generally helps with everything.

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 01/23/2014 1:37 pm

This paleo diet is the only diet that I believe would have some sort of effect on acne. But I myself can't follow it because my greatest love and passion in life is natural bodybuilding. I need lot's of carbs to grow and become stronger. Building muscle is very hard when you are natural lifter and been lifting for years, with paleo diet I would just get ripped as hell and wouldn't be able to build anymore muscle. And paleo is expensive as hell when you are big muscular male, if you are skinny little woman, it would be easy to follow paleo and cheap.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/23/2014 3:48 pm

I did a blood test for food intolerance because my naturopathic doctor said I had leaky gut. Basically I reacted to a lot of things and the only meat I can eat is pork. No fish, no dairy, no gluten, no eggs, no rice, no almonds. But I can eat shellfish, potatoes, most fruits, most veggies, corn, and pretty much all spices.

So basically if I incorporate the Paleo diet into this too, I will have to cut out sweet potatoes which I'm eating, and then get grass-fed pork. I also do a lot of protein shakes (with hemp protein) that includes flaxseed, chia seeds, fish oil, coconut oil, blueberries, blackberries. But with my food intolerances, I'm pretty limited.

I've been on the elimination diet (not the Paleo) for about four days now and still getting breakouts. I might cut out potatoes and see if that makes a difference, although results doesn't show me being intolerant to it. I really don't see what else I'm eating that's causing it.

What about quinoa?

The lab I use does not test for quinoa, so I don't have any information on it. I personally don't eat it but it is on the gluten-free list of foods.

If you want I can help you with your diet. Just hit me up in personal message instead of here in someone's thread.

I never said paleo caused anything. I also don't know what the long term affect eating some of my low level food allergies will have on me.

Ps... number of antibodies increase the more you eat your allergens. That is not a good thing.

MemberMember
(@dylonspythotfyre)

Posted : 01/23/2014 3:55 pm

My clients or myself could not go on the Paleo diet without having issues.

You said earlier that Paleo caused issues and when I asked what issues you said Lupus, Arthritis, etc.

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 01/27/2014 6:49 pm

This paleo diet is the only diet that I believe would have some sort of effect on acne. But I myself can't follow it because my greatest love and passion in life is natural bodybuilding. I need lot's of carbs to grow and become stronger. Building muscle is very hard when you are natural lifter and been lifting for years, with paleo diet I would just get ripped as hell and wouldn't be able to build anymore muscle. And paleo is expensive as hell when you are big muscular male, if you are skinny little woman, it would be easy to follow paleo and cheap.

Paleo is actually optimal for all body types, no matter what your goal. Kellan Lutz, the actor that starred in Hercules, recently touted that the Paleo diet was a major player in how he beefed up for the film. Paleo is not a carb-free diet, it's just lower in carbs than the typical American diet due to the lack of grains and refined sugars. You can still get carbs through sweet potatoes, squash, fruits, starchy veggies, etc. Most people who follow this lifestyle are very toned and muscular, and it's easier to put on muscle too (I know this, being a tiny, skinny person who could never build muscle before). The only difference would be that your carbs would come from more nutritious sources.

You said earlier that Paleo caused issues and when I asked what issues you said Lupus, Arthritis, etc.

I simply distrust that the Paleo diet caused any of these issues. It's simply illogical-biologically it makes no sense. Thousands of people have changed their lifestyles this way to see these issues disappear, or lessen. There is no way you can convince me that eating high quality meats, lots of veggies and fruits, getting enough sunshine, proper sleep and exercise is going to somehow cause any human being's body to fall to pieces. That's the most absurd thing I've ever read.

What about quinoa?

Actually, you can eat sweet potatoes on the Paleo diet. I also eat white potatoes on occasion, but I also eat a slightly higher carb version than someone who was, for instance, trying to lose weight. As a very active, breastfeeding woman, I need all the calories I can get. By higher carb, I just mean I typically eat some sort of starch with most meals, be that a fruit or stachy veggie.

As far as your list of intolerances, I would say that leaky gut is probably the cause of most of those issues. I, too, had issues with eggs and almonds in the beginning, and a few other things. I left those out of my diet for a while and followed it pretty closely, taking good care of my gut and eating yogurt and kefir for probiotics, and I no longer react to those things.

Quinoa isn't technically Paleo, because hunter-gatherers wouldn't have eaten it in large quantities, however it's not a grain. I would avoid it for a few months because it can be a little tough on the gut, but after that it shouldn't be too bad every once in a while.

I had a bit of an initial breakout. The change from a carb-heavy diet to a fat-dependent diet takes about a week or two to get used to. You feel a bit worse for that time, and then your body adjusts and you feel better than ever. After two weeks, my skin was healthier and much clearer. It took a few months for my skin to FULLY heal, meaning no blemishes aside from a tiny one every few weeks if I ate something bad or stressed too much. Changing my skin regimen was a huge player here, though. Now, I tried the same minimalistic regimen before going Paleo with little improvement, so both the diet and the skin regimen were vital for me. For about a month after the diet change, until the skin regimen change, my skin had stopped being oily, so my usual regimen was way to drying and prevented a lot of clearing that could have happened in that time. I pretty much switched to the oil only routine out of desperation because my skin was sooo dry.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/28/2014 6:05 am

Paleo is actually optimal for all body types, no matter what your goal. Kellan Lutz, the actor that starred in Hercules, recently touted that the Paleo diet was a major player in how he beefed up for the film. Paleo is not a carb-free diet, it's just lower in carbs than the typical American diet due to the lack of grains and refined sugars. You can still get carbs through sweet potatoes, squash, fruits, starchy veggies, etc. Most people who follow this lifestyle are very toned and muscular, and it's easier to put on muscle too (I know this, being a tiny, skinny person who could never build muscle before). The only difference would be that your carbs would come from more nutritious sources.

I simply distrust that the Paleo diet caused any of these issues. It's simply illogical-biologically it makes no sense. Thousands of people have changed their lifestyles this way to see these issues disappear, or lessen. There is no way you can convince me that eating high quality meats, lots of veggies and fruits, getting enough sunshine, proper sleep and exercise is going to somehow cause any human being's body to fall to pieces. That's the most absurd thing I've ever read.

What about quinoa?

Actually, you can eat sweet potatoes on the Paleo diet. I also eat white potatoes on occasion, but I also eat a slightly higher carb version than someone who was, for instance, trying to lose weight. As a very active, breastfeeding woman, I need all the calories I can get. By higher carb, I just mean I typically eat some sort of starch with most meals, be that a fruit or stachy veggie.

As far as your list of intolerances, I would say that leaky gut is probably the cause of most of those issues. I, too, had issues with eggs and almonds in the beginning, and a few other things. I left those out of my diet for a while and followed it pretty closely, taking good care of my gut and eating yogurt and kefir for probiotics, and I no longer react to those things.

Quinoa isn't technically Paleo, because hunter-gatherers wouldn't have eaten it in large quantities, however it's not a grain. I would avoid it for a few months because it can be a little tough on the gut, but after that it shouldn't be too bad every once in a while.

I had a bit of an initial breakout. The change from a carb-heavy diet to a fat-dependent diet takes about a week or two to get used to. You feel a bit worse for that time, and then your body adjusts and you feel better than ever. After two weeks, my skin was healthier and much clearer. It took a few months for my skin to FULLY heal, meaning no blemishes aside from a tiny one every few weeks if I ate something bad or stressed too much. Changing my skin regimen was a huge player here, though. Now, I tried the same minimalistic regimen before going Paleo with little improvement, so both the diet and the skin regimen were vital for me. For about a month after the diet change, until the skin regimen change, my skin had stopped being oily, so my usual regimen was way to drying and prevented a lot of clearing that could have happened in that time. I pretty much switched to the oil only routine out of desperation because my skin was sooo dry.

There are a few people on here that have issues with fruits. I personally have an immune response to strawberries, bananas, oranges, all beans, lettuce, Broccoli, Cauliflower, cucumbers, celery, and spinach. What's the long term affect of eating a food you have an immune response to? All of those chronic diseases listed above.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/28/2014 8:10 am

Sigh. So many silly arguments in here. Complicating things that aren't complicated.

This is why i dont recommend any diet with a name. Eat real, whole nutrient dense foods, more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory, in low to moderate glycemic load meals/drinks/snacks that don't include anything you have an intolerance for. You can do that as a vegan, vegetarian or whatever.

Eating paleo doesn't mean you eat foods you are intolerant to. You should not eat things you have an intolerance for. Period. Although your intolerances might go away as you avoid foods that harm the digestive tract and eat foods with nutrients that help the body function. Test once in a while by trying them.

And please do not avoid nutrient rich foods just because they evolved in a different hemisphere from humans. Sweet potatoes are a nutrient dense hypo allergenic food.

Also, its a fallacy that grains and seeds weren't eaten prior to agriculture. 1) people wouldn't have learned to cultivate them if they didn't eat them and they weren't an important food source. And 2) yes, they can gather wild grains in large quantities. If you don't believe me, you can go to Minnesota and watch Ojibwe people gather wild rice. However, they didn't eat a dozen servings a day in the bread, cereal, cake, and cookies like people eat all day long in place of nutrient rich foods today.

MemberMember
(@ck19)

Posted : 01/28/2014 11:47 am

What about quinoa?

>>How quickly did you see results? As in, did breakouts stopped right when you changed to a new diet?

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually not going on Paleo, just curious about it. I have too much food I'm intolerant to already that if I get onto that diet, I'll be even more limited. But it's just good to know. Ya, I do have leaky gut which will take some time to get better from. I can't have dairy so yogurt is out of the question but I have probiotics in pill form which will help too.

Quinoa hasn't been an issue for me I feel over the past week so it's a good carb source for me, since I can't eat pasta, rice, etc.

It's been about a week since I started eliminating all the food I'm intolerant to and I do feel my skin being better with less blemishes. Still have maybe a new breakout here and there but far from all the cystic acne I was getting before. I know it'll take time but at least the first week is an encouraging sign.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/28/2014 11:50 am

Sigh. So many silly arguments in here. Complicating things that aren't complicated.

This is why i dont recommend any diet with a name. Eat real, whole nutrient dense foods, more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory, in low to moderate glycemic load meals/drinks/snacks that don't include anything you have an intolerance for. You can do that as a vegan, vegetarian or whatever.

Eating paleo doesn't mean you eat foods you are intolerant to. You should not eat things you have an intolerance for. Period. Although your intolerances might go away as you avoid foods that harm the digestive tract and eat foods with nutrients that help the body function. Test once in a while by trying them.

And please do not avoid nutrient rich foods just because they evolved in a different hemisphere from humans. Sweet potatoes are a nutrient dense hypo allergenic food.

Also, its a fallacy that grains and seeds weren't eaten prior to agriculture. 1) people wouldn't have learned to cultivate them if they didn't eat them and they weren't an important food source. And 2) yes, they can gather wild grains in large quantities. If you don't believe me, you can go to Minnesota and watch Ojibwe people gather wild rice. However, they didn't eat a dozen servings a day in the bread, cereal, cake, and cookies like people eat all day long in place of nutrient rich foods today.

Yup.

I've seen Virgin's hours long presentation aired in PBS pledge drives. She does NOT claim, as you have been here, that food intolerance is the one and only cause of the chronic inflammation that is the root cause of most disease.

I didn't say she said that. She also doesn't have access to the testing I have. What she does is have people eliminate the most common allergens and see how they feel when they add them back into their diet. I don't guess. We ultimately get close to the same results. Mine are better because of the testing and the knowledge and understanding the testing brings.

ps... chronic disease and chronic inflammation are not the same thing, however, it takes something that your immune system deems toxic to have inflammation and/or chronic disease.

pss... did you get tested for sweet potatoes? I had enough test positive for a immune response not to suggest them to anybody. They don't share the same proteins as white potatoes.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/28/2014 7:37 pm

I've seen Virgin's hours long presentation aired in PBS pledge drives. She does NOT claim, as you have been here, that food intolerance is the one and only cause of the chronic inflammation that is the root cause of most disease.

I didn't say she said that. She also doesn't have access to the testing I have. What she does is have people eliminate the most common allergens

She has them eliminate Common allergens AND other pro-nflammatory foods such as sugar.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/28/2014 8:37 pm

I didn't say she said that. She also doesn't have access to the testing I have. What she does is have people eliminate the most common allergens

She has them eliminate Common allergens AND other pro-nflammatory foods such as sugar.

She, like everyone else, is guessing sugar is "bad". The lab I use does not have a test for Cane Sugar or Salt even. Both are necessary to our bodies function which is why I would guess we don't have an immune response to them and therefore no need for the allergy test because there are no antibodies to find.

Sugar gets a bad rap because of soda. I don't even think they put real sugar in soda anymore. Pepsi has a line with real sugar in it but it has a different taste to it.

MemberMember
(@dylonspythotfyre)

Posted : 01/29/2014 3:53 am

She, like everyone else, is guessing sugar is "bad". The lab I use does not have a test for Cane Sugar or Salt even. Both are necessary to our bodies function which is why I would guess we don't have an immune response to them and therefore no need for the allergy test because there are no antibodies to find.

Sugar gets a bad rap because of soda. I don't even think they put real sugar in soda anymore. Pepsi has a line with real sugar in it but it has a different taste to it.

Cane sugar, aka table sugar, is absolutely not necessary for our bodies to function. I could, in theory, avoid cane sugars for the rest of my life (it would be very difficult) and be perfectly healthy and biologically normal.

Your lab does not test for cane sugar sensitivity because cane sugar is sucrose and sucrose is a simple carbohydrate. Antibody recognition is primarily against proteins and other large molecules. It might be possible to create a simple carbohydrate antibody in the lab, but I've never heard of the human body generating antibodies to simple carbohydrates and I do not think it is possible because sucrose is too small.

That being said, there is a significant literature suggesting that sugar consumption impairs the immune system's ability to fight foreign pathogens. What's more, long term elevated levels of blood glucose increase the risk of cardiovascular complications, stroke, kidney failure, limb amputations and diabetic retinopathy. Thus, in addition to impacting the immune system, sugar consumption also negatively affects the major organs of the body.

"Real sugar" is a component of most sodas. High fructose corn syrup is a "real" sugar. It is definitely processed, but its main components are glucose and fructose and these are two "real" sugars found everywhere in nature. There may be some diet sodas that utilize "fake" sugar alcohols or other artificial sweeteners, although I'm not sure of this.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/29/2014 5:10 am

Cane sugar, aka table sugar, is absolutely not necessary for our bodies to function. I could, in theory, avoid cane sugars for the rest of my life (it would be very difficult) and be perfectly healthy and biologically normal.

Your lab does not test for cane sugar sensitivity because cane sugar is sucrose and sucrose is a simple carbohydrate. Antibody recognition is primarily against proteins and other large molecules. It might be possible to create a simple carbohydrate antibody in the lab, but I've never heard of the human body generating antibodies to simple carbohydrates and I do not think it is possible because sucrose is too small.

That being said, there is a significant literature suggesting that sugar consumption impairs the immune system's ability to fight foreign pathogens. What's more, long term elevated levels of blood glucose increase the risk of cardiovascular complications, stroke, kidney failure, limb amputations and diabetic retinopathy. Thus, in addition to impacting the immune system, sugar consumption also negatively affects the major organs of the body.

"Real sugar" is a component of most sodas. High fructose corn syrup is a "real" sugar. It is definitely processed, but its main components are glucose and fructose and these are two "real" sugars found everywhere in nature. There may be some diet sodas that utilize "fake" sugar alcohols or other artificial sweeteners, although I'm not sure of this.

There is a test for Beet Sugar. That is a good alternative as long you don't have a immune response to Beets . As for Fructose Syrup, it comes from Corn which there is also a test for. By the way, not 1 person I've tested has come back positive to Corn.

To be honest, I don't believe what these guys claim with their studies and research. They are not first testing people to see if they have a immune response to these foods. That's why 1 day something is bad for you, the next day you get benefits from consuming it.

Ps. There is a reason the top 3 labs in the country offer over 65 food allergy/sensitivity tests.

pss... most of the research is done on mice and do you know for sure all they ate was Sugar only the whole time? Also Wheat has been proven to raise glucose levels in humans.