Notifications
Clear all

Official Dermapen Thread

MemberMember
(@shyinla)

Posted : 01/15/2014 5:39 pm

Hello Everyone!

Long time acne, acne scarring, seborrheic dermatitis and rosacea sufferer here. I've tried just about everything over the years.

Looking for insights into your experience with this treatment as related to acne scarring. Open to a general discussion around this treatment option as well. Please share before/after photos if you're comfortable. Thanks in advance everyone!

Few questions to get the ball rolling:

- What type of acne scarring we're you treating?

- What type of downtime did you experience from the treatment?

- Any noticeable improvements? If so, how long did they take to become noticeable?

- Any complications from treatment?

- Any recommendations related to this treatment?

Here's a weird promo I found for the Dermapen [Removed]

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/16/2014 4:43 pm

You'll love this guy:

check him out. he swears by the dermapen!

MemberMember
(@f93d)

Posted : 01/17/2014 2:23 pm

I use dermajet.

First time I went easy with a 0.5mm,

Second time 1.0 - 1.5mm

Third time (2 weeks ago) I went all out 2mm where possible, 1.5mm for thin areas.

If my skin wasn't covered completely in a layer of blood, it wasn't done properly.

Scar types:

box car + rolling, moderate, too many to count (at least 60+).

What type of downtime did you experience from the treatment?

0 days. I do get compliments on how red my skin is for the next 5 - 6 days. Do you know how awesome it feels, even for 7 days, for your skin to be "scar free" in appearance?

- Any noticeable improvements? If so, how long did they take to become noticeable?

This gigantic rolling scar just vanished after I did the 2.0mm. Must be b/c of following Mr. Matt's recommendations. Dermarolling never helped in the past, and definitely not after 1 treatment.
If only this were true for the box cars. Doesn't do squat for them besides ease the edges.
My opinion:
If you have to pay $500 a session, this is not worth it.
Having said that, I plan to needle 12 times this year, and my total cost will be approx. $70. For the results I expect to get, it's well worth it.
I'm partly convinced the creams you use determine whether or not needling will improve your skin.
MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 01/17/2014 3:51 pm

I think you can get the same results much cheaper with single needling, and derma-stamping at home. You can see my before/afters I just posted here:

MemberMember
(@shyinla)

Posted : 01/17/2014 11:00 pm

@f93d

Did the .5 dermajet do anything for your rolling scars? Was looking into getting a dermapen for home use on my forehead area where its not recommended to go over .5 anyway.

@dlc girl

Was looking into single needling, but was looking for something to handle rolling scars and didn't think it was good for that.

MemberMember
(@shyinla)

Posted : 03/01/2014 9:19 pm

BUMP

Please post your experience with this treatment if you've tried it.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/01/2014 9:53 pm

Look into Dr. Travis from Virginia. He uses dermapen with Acell.

MemberMember
(@zavvi)

Posted : 03/02/2014 5:03 am

Look into Dr. Travis from Virginia. He uses dermapen with Acell.

the results dont look that impressive for the price just my thought though look into recell instead

MemberMember
(@celaya)

Posted : 03/02/2014 9:28 am

I did Dermapen at a Med Spa last year (Oct. 2013) in Brentwood,Ca. I paid somewhere around $500-$600(I can't remember the price). The micro swelling cause all my acne scars including the much deeper ones all to disappear that I could not see them in the mirror. I was very red for the first 3 days and then on day 3 my skin started to peel like crazy. I had a bit of itchyness on day 3 but nothing to crazy. On day 4 my skin turn pink and by day 7 my skin was more or less back to normal skin color. Keep in mind I'm Hispanic of olive skin complexion. The speed setting on the dermapen was at 0.5 at my forehead since it's much thinner skin so the settings should not be very high(plus I hardly have any acne scars there) including the sides of the face as I didn't feel much if anything at all, but she then change speeds at 2.5 on the cheeks since the skin is thicker there & now that was very painful felt like I was getting bee stings, but I am one of those who can tolerate a lot of pain. They did give me this rubber ball so I could squeeze on it on my hand while she was working on me. I had no choice to squeeze it rather hard so she knew more or less how much pain I was in while doing my cheek bones. I did not bleed when all is said & done, but was very red especially on the cheeks.

I would definitely not recommend doing this by yourself if you want aggressive settings as you can easily scar yourself more by doing this by yourself. By about day 8-10 all of my scars reappeard. Would I recommend this? No, It wasn't for me. It didn't remove any of the deep scars I had which is a few nor any of the shallow ones either. My skin was definitely a lot smoother looking for a Month, but than came back to its normal self.

They tried convincing me to set another appointment after I paid for the 1st procedure right after, but told them I would think about it.

keep in mind I've never done lasers,subcisions or anything else for that matter. I think I'll plan to do subcision with Mixto lasers treaments later on this fall year. If you do plan on doing this dermapen I would highly recommend not doing it during the Summer time since the skin is much more sensitive and you must remain in doors like i did the first 2 weeks. Do plan ahead of time to set your vacation time so that you have at least minimum 10-14 days to recover from this so no one questions you at work when you do go back.