Notifications
Clear all

How Effective Is Microdermabrasion For Hyperpigmentation?

MemberMember
(@zephster)

Posted : 12/15/2013 10:27 am

Hey people, I just wanna ask if any of you guys know how effective is microdermabrasion for hyperpigmentation? I've been 99% clear of acne for 4 months now but i still have some noticeable hyperpigmentation left. My mom bought these microdermabrasion vouchers, they're like 67% off so she bought them. I have 5 sessions which im planning to use every two weeks. How effective is it for those who've tried it and for those who have any idea? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@somanyquestions)

Posted : 12/15/2013 9:32 pm

You want the short, one word answer? No. It does not.

If you're looking at pigmentation treatments, look at IPL (intensed pulsed laser), V-beam, and chemical peels (specifically lactic, TCA, vitalize and glycolic have been successful with certain members). DO YOUR RESEARCH. According to http://www.realself.com/question/will-microdermabrasion-be-helpful-for-someone-with-rosacea, concerning a patient asking about microdermabraison to help with rosacea (essentially permanent redness of the skin, very similar to PIH):

"In fact, the abrasive treatments can stimulate a flare of acne whether by microdermabrasion or aggressive scrubbing or cleansers with granules that rub the skin. The redness of rosacea usually is not reduced with microdermabrasion"

My advice? BE CAREFUL with your skin. Seriously. You're free of active acne? I am too. And guess what? I'm not going to do ANYTHING that could possibly screw that up. It's been too long, too much heartache, too much BS, too much emotional crap to start it all over again. In my opinion, staying acne free trumps redness problems. That being said, look into the treatments I mentioned. Research the hell out of them, literally, until you can't come across a site in a search that isn't purple (google joke). You should know everything about a given treatment before pursuing it. This is your face, we're talking about, not a scratching board. Be careful and don't make any stupid, uneducated decisions.