Notifications
Clear all

10 Years Of Acne, Working On Solution

MemberMember
(@ck19)

Posted : 12/12/2013 12:34 pm

I don't even know where to begin.

I am a 25-year-old Asian male who has dealt with acne for a better part of the last 10 years. There have been good times, there have been bad. And I've tried pretty much everything including countless hours reading this message board and trying to figure out "cures."

I did accutane when I was younger which helped but I don't want to go back on it. I did erythromycin, which didn't help, and I did tetracycline, which helped for three months this past summer, but then didn't really work afterwards. I stopped and then in a panic went back on it for a week only to suffer terrible breakouts. I'm off it now. I've also been on chinese medication, from herbs to Margarite Acne Pills (which wasn't fully effective but did make pimples smaller). I did vitamins, etc. etc.

Topical-wise, I don't even have time to list.

It sucks. And I know it's not a surface problem but something internal. That's why earlier this week I went to see a naturopathic doctor and she told me about "leaky gut" and also food allergies. I've been told by so many people that this was just a hormone thing and it'll eventually go away but I didn't feel that was it. Nor was I willing to resort to just "waiting it out."

Anyways, after being able to talk to a doctor that listened and has dealt with this in the past, I feel this could be the answer. And having read so many posts/topics/comments on this website and never actually signing up to write, I thought I can finally use it as a platform to confide in others going through the same thing.

That said, here's what I've been told to do to hopefully find a solution:

1) Elimination diet: No eggs (which I ate every day), no dairy (I didn't drink milk or cheese before already but now cutting out my whey protein for after workouts and replacing it with a pea and rice protein), and also no gluten (I had oatmeal but typically avoided a lot of gluten/high carb products already).

2) Probiotics - UltraFlora IB once a day. This is to help repair the "leaky gut."

3) Omega D3 - One teaspoon per day. This is also to repair, I believe.

4) L-glutamine - 5 grams twice per day.

5) I am also taking a food sensitivity blood test next week just to see what I'm actually allergic to. It will be to test my IgG/IgE allergy panel with 190 foods. I will let you guys know how that turns out. Also, I'm doing a hormone test just in case.

I really hope this is it. I'm so sick of going through this.

Two questions:

1) For those who have done elimination diet, how soon before you saw results? I've been off the foods for three days but still had new breakouts. I know sometimes the reactions come later, but did anyone just stop having breakouts/new acne right after they stop eating certain foods?

2) Thinking of drinking bone broth as well. Anyone have experience with this and if it works?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@ck19)

Posted : 12/13/2013 8:28 pm

Just thought I'd give this a bump and see if anyone has answers. Thanks.

1) For those who have done elimination diet, how soon before you saw results? I've been off the foods for three days but still had new breakouts. I know sometimes the reactions come later, but did anyone just stop having breakouts/new acne right after they stop eating certain foods?

2) Thinking of drinking bone broth as well. Anyone have experience with this and if it works?

MemberMember
(@brandylad)

Posted : 12/14/2013 7:50 am

i am currently in the process of doing this too! I have been on an anti candida diet for roughly 3 months ( candida is overgrowth of bad bacteria typically caused by excessive use of antibiotics, you could similarly have this as i had the oral tablets you have taken too ) and for the past 3 weeks i have been adding supplements to treat a leaky gut. Both candida and leaky gut can intertwine and luckily the diets are fairly similar..

I am basically gluten, dairy ( bar live yoghurt ), yeast and sugar free. My skin has actually gotten worse during this period but that is to be expected as bacteria dying off has to leave the body. However, i have actually started to sleep for a solid 6 hours during the night which is very very rare for me, bowel movements have increased to everyday instead of once every 3 or 4 days. I am an active gym goer and there is actually a protein made by iso 100 which has the lactose removed from it so you could always look into that ( very pricey though ).

In terms of timescale i really have no idea, like i said it's been 3 months on basically the same diet as you and i've seen no improvement in my skin, i have basically used antibiotics for my skin for 9 years so obviously the probiotics are going to take a long time to restore balance

In terms of supplements i am currently taking a multivitamin, cod liver oil, digestive enzymes, zinc, probiotic 20 billion strain and recently in the past 3 weeks i have introduced glutamine and milk thistle

MemberMember
(@ck19)

Posted : 12/14/2013 5:34 pm

On 12/14/2013 at 6:50 PM, brandylad said:

i am currently in the process of doing this too! I have been on an anti candida diet for roughly 3 months ( candida is overgrowth of bad bacteria typically caused by excessive use of antibiotics, you could similarly have this as i had the oral tablets you have taken too ) and for the past 3 weeks i have been adding supplements to treat a leaky gut. Both candida and leaky gut can intertwine and luckily the diets are fairly similar..

I am basically gluten, dairy ( bar live yoghurt ), yeast and sugar free. My skin has actually gotten worse during this period but that is to be expected as bacteria dying off has to leave the body. However, i have actually started to sleep for a solid 6 hours during the night which is very very rare for me, bowel movements have increased to everyday instead of once every 3 or 4 days. I am an active gym goer and there is actually a protein made by iso 100 which has the lactose removed from it so you could always look into that ( very pricey though ).

In terms of timescale i really have no idea, like i said it's been 3 months on basically the same diet as you and i've seen no improvement in my skin, i have basically used antibiotics for my skin for 9 years so obviously the probiotics are going to take a long time to restore balance

In terms of supplements i am currently taking a multivitamin, cod liver oil, digestive enzymes, zinc, probiotic 20 billion strain and recently in the past 3 weeks i have introduced glutamine and milk thistle

Hm interesting. My bowel movements have always been normal although I am sleeping a bit better too. I didn't know my skin would get worse though (or stop improving), but I guess that would make sense somewhat. I'm taking 60 billion strain antibiotic. I don't think I have candida though since I found this list and I don't really have any of this, only acne.

Here are 10 common candida symptoms
  1. Skin and nail fungal infections (such as athletes foot or toenail fungus)
  2. Feeling tired and worn down or suffering from chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia
  3. Digestive issues such as bloating, constipation, or diarrhea
  4. Autoimmune disease such as Hashimotos thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis
  5. Difficulty concentrating, poor memory, lack of focus, ADD, ADHD and brain fog
  6. Skin issues such as eczema, psoriasis, hives, and rashes
  7. Irritability, mood swings, anxiety, or depression
  8. Vaginal infections , urinary tract infections, rectal itching or vaginal itching
  9. Severe seasonal allergies or itchy ears
  10. Strong sugar and refined carbohydrate cravings

However, I only took the acne antibiotics for maybe 6 months altogether so I'm hoping my healing will be faster? Has your acne gotten worse once you started probiotic three weeks ago, or pretty much the same? I have a lot of smaller spots/bumps with the occassional bigger pimple.

Did you also get a food sensitivity test?

Thanks for the reply!

MemberMember
(@danthenewworld)

Posted : 12/14/2013 6:02 pm

from my experience of about 2years of dieting i think you should expect results in strict relation with your weight. when you will lose some kilos you'll experience acne lose. but don't stop, here the main rule is continuously weight loseing, ideally when reaching 0kg there will be no more acne.

ignore the not very "zen" parts

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 12/14/2013 9:00 pm

I am a 25-year-old Asian male who has dealt with acne for a better part of the last 10 years. There have been good times, there have been bad. And I've tried pretty much everything including countless hours reading this message board and trying to figure out "cures."

I did accutane when I was younger which helped but I don't want to go back on it. I did erythromycin, which didn't help, and I did tetracycline, which helped for three months this past summer, but then didn't really work afterwards. I stopped and then in a panic went back on it for a week only to suffer terrible breakouts. I'm off it now. I've also been on chinese medication, from herbs to Margarite Acne Pills (which wasn't fully effective but did make pimples smaller). I did vitamins, etc. etc.

It sucks. And I know it's not a surface problem but something internal. That's why earlier this week I went to see a naturopathic doctor and she told me about "leaky gut" and also food allergies. I've been told by so many people that this was just a hormone thing and it'll eventually go away but I didn't feel that was it. Nor was I willing to resort to just "waiting it out."

Anyways, after being able to talk to a doctor that listened and has dealt with this in the past, I feel this could be the answer. And having read so many posts/topics/comments on this website and never actually signing up to write, I thought I can finally use it as a platform to confide in others going through the same thing.

1) Elimination diet: No eggs (which I ate every day), no dairy (I didn't drink milk or cheese before already but now cutting out my whey protein for after workouts and replacing it with a pea and rice protein), and also no gluten (I had oatmeal but typically avoided a lot of gluten/high carb products already).

2) Probiotics - UltraFlora IB once a day. This is to help repair the "leaky gut."

5) I am also taking a food sensitivity blood test next week just to see what I'm actually allergic to. It will be to test my IgG/IgE allergy panel with 190 foods. I will let you guys know how that turns out. Also, I'm doing a hormone test just in case.

Two questions:

Thanks!

Food allergy (sensitivity) testing is the way to go. Since your Asian I can tell you gluten is not your problem. You will test positive for soy and like everyone else milk. It's a shame that you will pay out of pocket for the IgG allergy tests. Your doctor could order them and your health insurance would pay for them if your doctor knew they were available through the reference lab they use daily. Oh, by the way, you will test positive for at least 20 foods if that lab is any good.

MemberMember
(@ck19)

Posted : 12/15/2013 1:51 am

Two questions:

Thanks!

Food allergy (sensitivity) testing is the way to go. Since your Asian I can tell you gluten is not your problem. You will test positive for soy and like everyone else milk. It's a shame that you will pay out of pocket for the IgG allergy tests. Your doctor could order them and your health insurance would pay for them if your doctor knew they were available through the reference lab they use daily. Oh, by the way, you will test positive for at least 20 foods if that lab is any good.

Asians can't be allergic to gluten? Didn't know that.

My work has extended health care (I'm in Canada) so it won't cost me a lot. They are sending it to the States to test. So we'll see how that goes.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 12/15/2013 6:15 am

everyone can be allergic to gluten, no one is spared

I was on accutane, and it made things worse, bad side effects, had to stop- so I did it the hard way too

For me gluten and dairy were the big triggers - I have cystic acne and when I stopped those the cysts stopped - I still get whiteheads occasionally, but cysts only rarely....how bad is your acne? Is it cystic?

And I've tweaked supplements over time too, to get to the ones that work for me.

It's a lot of work, but you can do it, journal everything and look for correlations....I've never found a doctor who helped, just did it myself...takes time and patience!

MemberMember
(@ck19)

Posted : 12/15/2013 12:41 pm

I was on accutane, and it made things worse, bad side effects, had to stop- so I did it the hard way too

For me gluten and dairy were the big triggers - I have cystic acne and when I stopped those the cysts stopped - I still get whiteheads occasionally, but cysts only rarely....how bad is your acne? Is it cystic?

And I've tweaked supplements over time too, to get to the ones that work for me.

It's a lot of work, but you can do it, journal everything and look for correlations....I've never found a doctor who helped, just did it myself...takes time and patience!

I have cysts sometimes and smaller pimples. But I've stopped dairy, gluten, and eggs for a week now, sort of hard to tell if it's better since I still have new breakouts this week, and some acne that are taking time to go away. Not to mention some scars. Not sure if it's just from slower reactions, etc., either. And it takes time obviously.

How long was it for you before you saw really positive results?

Also, what supplements do you take?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@brandylad)

Posted : 12/15/2013 1:51 pm

On 12/15/2013 at 4:34 AM, CK19 said:
On 12/14/2013 at 6:50 PM, brandylad said:

Hm interesting. My bowel movements have always been normal although I am sleeping a bit better too. I didn't know my skin would get worse though (or stop improving), but I guess that would make sense somewhat. I'm taking 60 billion strain antibiotic. I don't think I have candida though since I found this list and I don't really have any of this, only acne.

Here are 10 common candida symptoms
  1. Skin and nail fungal infections (such as athletes foot or toenail fungus)
  2. Feeling tired and worn down or suffering from chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia
  3. Digestive issues such as bloating, constipation, or diarrhea
  4. Autoimmune disease such as Hashimotos thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis
  5. Difficulty concentrating, poor memory, lack of focus, ADD, ADHD and brain fog
  6. Skin issues such as eczema, psoriasis, hives, and rashes
  7. Irritability, mood swings, anxiety, or depression
  8. Vaginal infections , urinary tract infections, rectal itching or vaginal itching
  9. Severe seasonal allergies or itchy ears
  10. Strong sugar and refined carbohydrate cravings

However, I only took the acne antibiotics for maybe 6 months altogether so I'm hoping my healing will be faster? Has your acne gotten worse once you started probiotic three weeks ago, or pretty much the same? I have a lot of smaller spots/bumps with the occassional bigger pimple.

Did you also get a food sensitivity test?

Thanks for the reply!

I started the probiotics around 3 months ago, at first they broke me out REALLY bad, i had about 8 really thick cysts that lasted for 3 weeks, i totalled up the amount of spots on my face at one point and i had 34 which is ridiculous! strangely though about a week later i went 4 whole days without one new spot forming, obviously i still had the 34 other ones there but it firmly made me believe i was on the right track, then i had a holiday the week after and naturally i drank alcohol and ate junk everyday for a week... i couldn't take the probiotics over there because they have to be refrigerated but when i got back i broke out just as bad again upon restarting them... as things stand i have around 20 spots so although that's horrible for me it's obviously a significant reduction in the 34

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 12/15/2013 7:45 pm

Two questions:

Thanks!

Asians can't be allergic to gluten? Didn't know that.

My work has extended health care (I'm in Canada) so it won't cost me a lot. They are sending it to the States to test. So we'll see how that goes.

The latest research that came out is caucasians are the are the only ones that have a immune response to gluten. I have had lots of people tested so I know this to be true. What I also discovered is other races have a immune response to soy not caucasians. According to Dr Alessio Fassano, no one can digest gluten but it only harms caucasians.

Just know that the FDA makes avoiding food allergies (sensitivities) next to impossible and that blood tests that show how well you're avoiding those allergies necessary.

What lab is running the tests?

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 12/15/2013 9:35 pm

I'm out here actually testing people and seeing results. Every caucasian tested positive for gluten. No other race has. It was really easy to gather a profile based on actual results.

Cow products, however, affect everyone regardless of race. There are quite a few foods that affect everyone but I'm only here to help people eliminate acne and other skin disorders.

I helped a Hispanic eliminate rosacea just by removing soy from her diet. Soy is also very hard to avoid. It's used more than gluten is.

As for you, if you're still getting acne, then the food that is causing it is still finding a way in your diet. Once you find out which allergen, gluten or dairy, you will be able to find the culprit. Glad you narrowed it down to only 2 possibilities, that's a lot easier for you now. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@ck19)

Posted : 01/21/2014 12:59 am

Just a quick update, been on the afore-mentioned diet for the past month (although it was tough to keep disciplined over the Christmas break), and I still found myself breaking out regularly. Then I got my IgG blood test results back, and wow, I am intolerant to a lot of foods. It makes a lot of sense why I was still breaking out despite trying my best to already eliminate gluten, dairy and eggs.

In addition to not having gluten, dairy, and eggs now, I can't eat any meat except pork. The only fish I can have is sardines, although I can eat shellfish. Also no rice, almonds, pineapples, alfalfa, and certain beans. This sucks. But it'll be for 12 weeks for my gut to heal and then I can start incorporating these foods into my diet again.

I am also continuing with probiotics, l-glutamine, fish oil, and a herb that constains mastic gum, slippery elm, ginger root, deglycyrrhizinated licorice and zinc. Hopefully this is the answer.

It's only been one day since I got my blood results back so I know it'll take some time. But hoping it will be worth it!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/21/2014 8:35 am

How soon depends on what kind of intolerance you might have to those foods. And if you are intolerant to something else that you are still eating you might not notice anything. I would definitely still have severe cystic acne because I would still be eating the food that caused them. And since you didn't mention sugar or avoiding high glycemic impacting meals, I would still have extremely oily skin, blackheads and normal inflamed acne. And I could eat like that forever and not improve.

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 01/21/2014 12:00 pm

Hmm, I'm not so sure about diet affecting sebum production. My friend at work is 43 years old female who is a real health freak, she only eats vegetables, fruits and oats (and no dairy [just so you know dairy haters]) and she has the oiliest skin I have ever seen. All the time a real oil slick, so yeah..

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/21/2014 8:39 pm

Hmm, I'm not so sure about diet affecting sebum production. My friend at work is 43 years old female who is a real health freak, she only eats vegetables, fruits and oats (and no dairy [just so you know dairy haters]) and she has the oiliest skin I have ever seen. All the time a real oil slick, so yeah..

Yeah that's probably why 😛

If I ate only carbohydrates I would probably be an oil slick too. Fortunately I make sure to get my 300% daily value of saturated fats nom nom

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 01/22/2014 1:12 am

Yeah that's probably why tongue.png

If I ate only carbohydrates I would probably be an oil slick too. Fortunately I make sure to get my 300% daily value of saturated fats nom nom

So you eat shitloads of butter or what?

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/22/2014 1:32 am

Butter, coconut oil, meat, cheese, eggs

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 01/22/2014 2:10 am

Just saturated fats? No extra virgin olive oil? Fish oil, evening primrose oil?

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/22/2014 9:47 am

Just saturated fats? No extra virgin olive oil? Fish oil, evening primrose oil?

Oh I eat plenty of fish too, and sometimes drizzle a little olive oil on salads. I don't use evening primrose oil.

MemberMember
(@ck19)

Posted : 01/22/2014 6:13 pm

How soon depends on what kind of intolerance you might have to those foods. And if you are intolerant to something else that you are still eating you might not notice anything. I would definitely still have severe cystic acne because I would still be eating the food that caused them. And since you didn't mention sugar or avoiding high glycemic impacting meals, I would still have extremely oily skin, blackheads and normal inflamed acne. And I could eat like that forever and not improve.

But say I do eliminate the foods I'm intolerant to (according to my IgG blood test results), should I not get any new acne then? It's been about three days since I cut out the foods that showed up as "avoid" on my blood test, and it seems I am still getting new pimples. Is that just a slow reaction from, say, something I ate four days ago?

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/23/2014 12:15 pm

But say I do eliminate the foods I'm intolerant to (according to my IgG blood test results), should I not get any new acne then? It's been about three days since I cut out the foods that showed up as "avoid" on my blood test, and it seems I am still getting new pimples. Is that just a slow reaction from, say, something I ate four days ago?

Depends partly on how frequently you go #2

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 01/23/2014 1:02 pm

I'm not an expert on this but it would make sense that IF you would have some sort of food intolerance the "acne" from that would be just some hives or some sort of rash not really the original acne, like papules and pustules.

MemberMember
(@ck19)

Posted : 01/23/2014 1:19 pm

Depends partly on how frequently you go #2

Once a day.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/23/2014 1:46 pm

I'm not an expert on this but it would make sense that IF you would have some sort of food intolerance the "acne" from that would be just some hives or some sort of rash not really the original acne, like papules and pustules.

Not necessarily. IgE, yeah, but that's allergy. There's a lot more to immune reactions. Contact dermatitis is a good example - you can get pustules from something like detergent or poison ivy, and they look slightly different depending on the antigen. But that's when a concentrated antigen comes into contact with a patch of skin. What if you were to eat an antigen and have fragmented bits of it cross into your blood, thus diluting the antigen? You would get a more random distribution of spots. Since sebaceous glands are a necessary condition for acne, those spots are restricted to certain areas of the body.

It's certainly more complicated than that. There are lots of immune factors involved, and scientists are just now realizing that inflammatory events begin before colonization with P. acnes.

Once a day.

Three days in, you should see fewer new spots. If you're not, I would consider other potential offenders.