Notifications
Clear all

Type Of Acne And Best Way To Treat It?

MemberMember
(@rah502)

Posted : 11/27/2013 3:49 pm

I had moderate acne as a teenager and was eventually treated with roaccutane when antibiotics and topicals failed- this cleared my skin for a few years but spots started to appear again about a month after stopping Yasmin birth control (or at least I put this down as the most likely cause).

After racing back to the doctor in fear of it getting worse I have been on Dianette for the past two months and have been using skinoren cream for 4 weeks- the good news is it hasn't got any worse and I only get one or two spots at a time, BUT about 3-4 times a month I get these gigantic under the skin spots which are extremely painful, swollen and embarrassing, take weeks to go away then leave a dark red scar which takes forever to fade sad.png mostly around my mouth and hairline but occasionally on my forehead, back or neck

For what mostly looks like mild acne (see photo 1 + 2 = no active spots just bad red marks), why do I keep getting these awful cystic things?! (see gross photo number 3, hurts like hell!)

It's like a weird combination of mild and severe acne?? I'm trying to avoid all-over BP and retinoids when my skin is already dry and red, any suggestions? Am I going down the right path with dianette?

post-77487-0-79850600-1385586420.jpg

post-77487-0-61170400-1385586443.jpg

post-77487-0-79850600-1385586420.jpg

post-77487-0-61170400-1385586443.jpg

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 11/27/2013 4:23 pm

You seem to have 2 types of acne. Those red bumps on your forehead could be a reaction to your shampoo. The ones on your chin might be a reaction to sulfates in your toothpaste and/or mouthwash or foods, or it could be hormonal. Try to find a sulfate-free shampoo and toothpaste to see if that helps.

MemberMember
(@rah502)

Posted : 11/27/2013 4:57 pm

I've never heard of shampoo or toothpaste causing spots before? (it's definitely acne not an allergic reaction) it's not like I actually put shampoo or mouthwash on my skin so I'm doubtful...but thank you for your ideas.

Btw what looks like acne on my chin in that photo is actually just old red marks, so at the moment I have no active acne other than those two big spots in photo 3. I see plenty of people with small pimples all over their faces but mine seems different in that it's only a couple at a time but really bad ones! If anyone else has experienced this please let me know!