Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Experts, Please Answer My Questions

MemberMember
(@jjj333kkk2)

Posted : 11/23/2013 12:43 pm

Hey guys,

I have a couple questions about Accutane.

1.) How long does it take to receive the pills from the time you meet with the derm? Will he write a prescription for you right away? I'm a guy, so I don't believe I have to go through any iPLEDGE stuff.

2.) How long from the time you first take the pills do you notice an oil reduction in your skin?

Thanks, guys.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 11/23/2013 1:57 pm

Everyone has to go through ipledge- doesn't matter if you are a man or a women

When you ask for accutane it will take a month to get accepted to ipledge- plus you have to get two blood tests before you start. and after the second one comes back okay you will be able to get accutane from the pharmacy.

About 3 weeks you will noticed- no oil on your skin

MemberMember
(@jjj333kkk2)

Posted : 11/23/2013 6:10 pm

When you ask for accutane it will take a month to get accepted to ipledge- plus you have to get two blood tests before you start. and after the second one comes back okay you will be able to get accutane from the pharmacy.

Thanks for responding.

But why would it take a month? Men (and women who can't get pregnant) are now exempt from the month-long lockout period, I believe.

MemberMember
(@1moretime)

Posted : 11/23/2013 10:35 pm

Thanks for responding.

But why would it take a month? Men (and women who can't get pregnant) are now exempt from the month-long lockout period, I believe.

You won't have to go through the month waiting period. As a male you only have to sign the pledge and go through the obligatory blood work. I received the blood work results a day after my derm appt and he called in the prescription that day.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 11/23/2013 11:23 pm

I second the 2 answers above, men do not have a month waiting period. You will have to do blood work and in most cases men leave with their script same day or the next day. They might write you the script and call you with results wth the okay to fill it. You will have to continue to do monthly blood testing as well. As far as when oil production stops is usually around the 3 weeks to a month period. Although some people report oil being present their entire course. Most people though have results in a month time. Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 11/24/2013 12:40 am

I started noticing some side effects of the drug 3-4 days into my course but my oil production significantly decreased/ceased at about one month.

MemberMember
(@jjj333kkk2)

Posted : 11/24/2013 3:47 pm

Cheers, guys.

I have another question: can I use tretinoin (Retin-A Micro) while on Accutane?

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 11/25/2013 10:39 pm

No, to my knowledge you're not supposed to use any topical acne treatments while on Accutane because it makes your skin so sensitive. I wouldn't even use an over-the-counter medicated facial wash, use the most gentle cleanser you can (Cerave and Cetaphil are good). It's strange not to use topicals when you're so used to them but Accutane is so powerful, you won't need them. :-) Give it some time and it should clear you up completely.