Notifications
Clear all

Spiro - Is Blood Testing Necessary On 50 Mg?

MemberMember
(@lmw315)

Posted : 11/21/2013 10:48 am

I was prescribed spiro a month-and-a-half ago. When I asked the derm about blood testing for potassium levels, he said they used to require it but not anymore. I've been doing research online, which of course has led to me becoming paranoid about hyperkalemia.

That said, I am on the second-to-lowest dose, 50 mg. Do you think I should get my levels tested? How would I go about doing this? Can I get it done at a walk-in clinic?

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 11/21/2013 11:17 am

I was prescribed Spiro today and the dermatologist said that he normally checks blood levels every 6 months, but usually only if they're showing any real symptoms. He's going to check mine in 2 months because I'm going to basic training in February. I don't think you have too much to worry about if you're relatively young and healthy. :D That's what he told me. Your body is very capable of self-regulating for the most part when it comes to electrolytes and diuretic function.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/21/2013 2:16 pm

i started spiro last december and havent had a blood test since february. i will probably go back at some point though just to be safe.

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 11/21/2013 3:57 pm

My doctor haven't even mentioned any blood tests or that this drug doesn't let the organism to get rid of potassium effectively. :/

But I'm planning to do the blood test when i'm on month 6.