Notifications
Clear all

Need Some Quick Tips For This Cyst!

MemberMember
(@eaa415)

Posted : 11/11/2013 3:26 pm

Hey guys! I'm "new" here, but have been reading the boards for...years. Since high school, actually. I'm now a senior in college and after going on a round of antibiotics (minocycline for a year), and learning that I needed to cut dairy out my diet, I've come a long way in skin health and confidence overall.

HOWEVER, there is a reason I asked for your help! While my cystic outbreaks are now very few and far between (I might get 2 bad cycts all year now...which leads to confusion among my acquaintances because i'll be "clear" for most of my life, and then have a cycts on my face for sometimes an entire month), when they happen...they happen!

I'll post pics of my current little demon below. For the past few nights, I've been applying witch hazel to my forehead and t-zone (as I usually do), and then using an old sulfur mask from my dreaded proactive days (the mask actually is really effective). I was thinking of trying the tylenol mixture tonight, but guys. I HAVE A DATE NEXT WEEKEND. Any ideas would be appreciated.

-Eric

post-360659-0-53603600-1384201443.jpg

post-360659-0-00786600-1384201444.jpg

post-360659-0-50238400-1384201444.jpg

post-360659-0-53603600-1384201443.jpg

post-360659-0-00786600-1384201444.jpg

post-360659-0-50238400-1384201444.jpg

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 11/11/2013 3:46 pm

I've found that nicotinamide (an anti-inflammatory) can help to bring down the swelling of cysts and make them less obvious in quite a short space of time so that might be worth a try if you're out of ideas. Freederm do a 4% nicotinamide treatment gel which is absolutely useless for the long term treatment of acne but great as an occasional treatment for inflamed spots and it's gentle enough to use several times a day as well.

MemberMember
(@eaa415)

Posted : 11/11/2013 3:50 pm

Thanks! I found it on Amazon for about $15. I'm wondering how it helps with inflammation...guess it's the vitamin B. I'm gonna keep looking around for some more at-home remedies. I'm thinking about using neosporin, but I read that it works best on open spots (damn you under-skin acne).

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 11/11/2013 3:52 pm

What I do to cysts (might not be the best method and I'm always afraid to advise someone, as it might make things worse, but last time I had some nasty cysts, this worked) - take a hot shower, then apply bp or Epidou (you need a prescription though), let it dry - then apply salicylic acid. Pretty harsh treatment, but it really made my cysts go away faster than ever

MemberMember
(@eaa415)

Posted : 11/11/2013 4:00 pm

What I do to cysts (might not be the best method and I'm always afraid to advise someone, as it might make things worse, but last time I had some nasty cysts, this worked) - take a hot shower, then apply bp or Epidou (you need a prescription though), let it dry - then apply salicylic acid. Pretty harsh treatment, but it really made my cysts go away faster than ever

Thanks again for the response! I don't have any prescription-strength topicals right now. I used to have an awesome one..think I might just get some more of that soon. I'm familiar with the shower technique, though. I actually just steamed my face and did a mask because I new it would open up the pores and AT LEAST make it more possible for it to come to a head.

Idk, my cysts are weird. Sometimes they will fester and come to a head and then they just leave, and sometimes they'll just like...shrink back into my face on their own.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 11/11/2013 4:08 pm

Thanks again for the response! I don't have any prescription-strength topicals right now. I used to have an awesome one..think I might just get some more of that soon. I'm familiar with the shower technique, though. I actually just steamed my face and did a mask because I new it would open up the pores and AT LEAST make it more possible for it to come to a head.

Idk, my cysts are weird. Sometimes they will fester and come to a head and then they just leave, and sometimes they'll just like...shrink back into my face on their own.

That's not so weird, mine have always done one or other of those two things as well. Hot showers can definitely help them come to a head rather than sink down though. Some people use hot compresses as well.

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 11/11/2013 4:17 pm

The same with mine. I think it depends on how the body handles the inflammation. When I get enough of sun and food, my cysts tend to shrink back, so try to get some rest, eat well, be in the sun (but not if you used bp ^^ )

MemberMember
(@eaa415)

Posted : 11/11/2013 4:40 pm

I will get mucho resto! Which is why I've taken Veteran's day to relax. Thanks for your input - I think it's gotten better since this morning. Less redness, at least :]

MemberMember
(@eaa415)

Posted : 11/12/2013 8:52 pm

So I spent yesterday resting, and put an aspirin mask on at night. Kind of helped. Sorta. I'm going to go back on the more strict diet I had when I hated my face (I already do no dairy, but cutting out grains and sugars as well). Should help. I also am going to take a tablespoon of applecider vinegar each morning (just did one at night to get started. Ew.). Hopefully it all works in my favor!