Notifications
Clear all

Saw Palmetto Making Acne Worse?

MemberMember
(@shelby-rockella-mansour)

Posted : 11/04/2013 1:44 pm

So, I have not had any problems with redness, scarring, or gigantic breakouts for a long long time. Well, I've recently started taking saw palmetto, because I read lots of reviews and posts saying that it helped tremendously. Well. It's only been about a week, maybe I'm not giving it enough time. But almost out of nowhere, my skin is now very red and I have at least 13 pimples in one area of my face. Has anyone taken sp and had a bad initial first month or so? Please, help. I need to know if I should just stop taking this stuff completely. Thank you. :)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 11/04/2013 2:49 pm

So, I have not had any problems with redness, scarring, or gigantic breakouts for a long long time. Well, I've recently started taking saw palmetto, because I read lots of reviews and posts saying that it helped tremendously. Well. It's only been about a week, maybe I'm not giving it enough time. But almost out of nowhere, my skin is now very red and I have at least 13 pimples in one area of my face. Has anyone taken sp and had a bad initial first month or so? Please, help. I need to know if I should just stop taking this stuff completely. Thank you. smile.png

A lot of people get a "purge" when they change their hormones for the better.

Hormonal treatments in particular take much longer than a week to see the benefits. Hang in there.

MemberMember
(@shelby-rockella-mansour)

Posted : 11/04/2013 2:54 pm

So, I have not had any problems with redness, scarring, or gigantic breakouts for a long long time. Well, I've recently started taking saw palmetto, because I read lots of reviews and posts saying that it helped tremendously. Well. It's only been about a week, maybe I'm not giving it enough time. But almost out of nowhere, my skin is now very red and I have at least 13 pimples in one area of my face. Has anyone taken sp and had a bad initial first month or so? Please, help. I need to know if I should just stop taking this stuff completely. Thank you. 🙂

A lot of people get a "purge" when they change their hormones for the better.

Hormonal treatments in particular take much longer than a week to see the benefits. Hang in there.

Thank you!!! I was beginning to feel really scared that my usual regimen had stopped being effective, and it was very disheartening. I'm glad to know this purging is normal. 🙂

MemberMember
(@graciemeow)

Posted : 11/04/2013 6:10 pm

So, I have not had any problems with redness, scarring, or gigantic breakouts for a long long time. Well, I've recently started taking saw palmetto, because I read lots of reviews and posts saying that it helped tremendously. Well. It's only been about a week, maybe I'm not giving it enough time. But almost out of nowhere, my skin is now very red and I have at least 13 pimples in one area of my face. Has anyone taken sp and had a bad initial first month or so? Please, help. I need to know if I should just stop taking this stuff completely. Thank you. smile.png

I am also taking saw palmetto and have been on it for around two weeks. I havn't noticed an initial break out but I read up a lot on it and apparently most people go through this. Theres reviews from people on here saying they have a purge but then after that is it worth it. I'm also taking it alongside agnus castus and Evening primrose oil and zinc and pretty much half of holland and barrett lol so maybe thats why. Good luck - it will be good to see how you get on on it!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 11/11/2013 2:26 pm

When I was taking it I didn't get an initial breakout. Actually, most people don't get an initial breakout from it, but it could happen. I got spotting from it, which to me was a sign that it was doing something to my hormones. Within the first month, my skin got better and then it plateaued so it only had a short term impact on my acne. You might need to combine saw palmetto with an estrogen & progesterone regulator.