Notifications
Clear all

Dairy

MemberMember
(@flowerchild94)

Posted : 10/24/2013 1:18 pm

Hi! I was wondering if anyone else noticed a link between their breakouts and consumption of dairy products. It seems that whenever I eat butter, cheese, or anything with milk ingredients in it, I break out a few days later and I notice more inflammation. I had a severe milk allergy when I was a baby, which would only result in throwing up (as far as I know). I was wondering if maybe that sensitivity to dairy is resurfacing? I was also on a 50 day round of doxycycline (antibiotic)...could that have killed the good bacteria in my system and caused this correlation between acne and dairy? I know many studies have shown that dairy does sometimes increase acne and inflammation...but I'm 19 and I haven't had this problem in the past. I'm a vegetarian, and I have additionally been dairy-free for a few months, but cheese is my weakness and cheese substitutes just don't cut it for me. I'm hoping I'm not the only one out there who notices this connection :(

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 10/24/2013 2:08 pm

Many people here have noticed this, including me. Unfortunately even the smallest amount of cheese breaks me out with nodules and basically this is the reason i can't follow this diet anymore. You could try probiotics to replace your gut bacteria and digestive enzymes but i have no experience with them.

MemberMember
(@user354689)

Posted : 10/24/2013 9:56 pm

i used to think that dairy caused my acne, yet when i eat clarified butter (ghee) i don't have any issues. maybe it's how the dairy is processed? not sure, but i was kind of giddy to find that i could consume ghee and not have any cystic acne situations.

MemberMember
(@flowerchild94)

Posted : 10/25/2013 2:35 pm

Many people here have noticed this, including me. Unfortunately even the smallest amount of cheese breaks me out with nodules and basically this is the reason i can't follow this diet anymore. You could try probiotics to replace your gut bacteria and digestive enzymes but i have no experience with them.

Thanks for the reply! I noticed your signature says that you've had success with Spironolactone and that you had no need for a special diet while on it. Does this mean you were able to eat cheese without breaking out? I'm on 25 mg once a day right now, and I've been on it for a few weeks...I was hoping that maybe once my hormones balance out dairy wouldn't affect me anymore. I understand it will take a while to see consistent results with this medication however...

i used to think that dairy caused my acne, yet when i eat clarified butter (ghee) i don't have any issues. maybe it's how the dairy is processed? not sure, but i was kind of giddy to find that i could consume ghee and not have any cystic acne situations.

Thanks! I'll look into that. I do have coffee creamer everyday which has one milk ingredient in it, and I also wonder if it has something to do with the way the dairy is processed. Some foods with milk ingredients don't seem to affect me much...so maybe I'll have to do some more experimenting :)

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 10/25/2013 2:53 pm

Thanks for the reply! I noticed your signature says that you've had success with Spironolactone and that you had no need for a special diet while on it. Does this mean you were able to eat cheese without breaking out? I'm on 25 mg once a day right now, and I've been on it for a few weeks...I was hoping that maybe once my hormones balance out dairy wouldn't affect me anymore. I understand it will take a while to see consistent results with this medication however...

Yes, i could eat anything and get maybe a pimple every 2 months. Unfortunately i decided to see how my skin was doing on it's own and it wasn't good at all so i tried it again but with not so good results so far.. i have fewer pimples but after 6 weeks dairy still break me out (and nuts-seeds) sad.png . The first time i saw great improvement after only 3 weeks. If you haven't tried it i strongly suggest it, it is considered to be safe for long term usage and has no life-threatening side effects like bcp does. My face was like snow white's until that stupid thought crossed my mind.

MemberMember
(@flowerchild94)

Posted : 10/25/2013 3:24 pm

Yes, i could eat anything and get maybe a pimple every 2 months. Unfortunately i decided to see how my skin was doing on it's own and it wasn't good at all so i tried it again but with not so good results so far.. i have fewer pimples but after 6 weeks dairy still break me out (and nuts-seeds) :( . The first time i saw great improvement after only 3 weeks. If you haven't tried it i strongly suggest it, it is considered to be safe for long term usage and has no life-threatening side effects like bcp does. My face was like snow white's until that stupid thought crossed my mind.

My hormonal acne started appearing after I stopped my birth control pill, and only got worse with dairy. I promised myself I would never go back on the pill, so Spiro was my only option. I had tried many herbal supplements but nothing seemed to work much. I can understand why you tried stopping Spiro; I personally can't stand the thought of having to rely on a medication long-term for my acne. But so far, it seems to be working and I can't wait to see further results. Thank you for giving me some hope with the Spiro.

Hang in there! :)

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 10/25/2013 3:28 pm

I hope it will clear us both smile.png