Notifications
Clear all

Does Climate Change Cause Acne?

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 10/19/2013 11:40 pm

Hey all,

Well I've noticed a pattern with my skin. During the summer and fall, my skin tends to breakout every year ever since I moved to Miami, FL (3 years ago). If you've never been in Miami, the climate here is hot as balls and extremely humid due to the oh so wonderful Everglades being our neighbor (The Everglades is a swamp, if you didn't know).

I, naturally, have oily skin and, to top it off, have sensitive skin as well. I've noticed that during the winter/early spring periods, I don't break out or get acne at all. The overall climate here drops during the winter due to the cold fronts, something I love. So from the usual 88-93 degrees Fahrenheit, it drops to 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Today, I went to volunteer for a local festival to get community service hours. I've been taking doxycycline for a month now to get this acne under control, and before I left, all the pimples I had were drying up, basically dieing out. After being there for 12 hours helping out (by helping out I mean moving heavy boxes, going outside where it's hot, entertaining the little kids with sports and selling products; in other words A LOT of sweat) I come home, only to see myself in the mirror EXTREMELY OILY and all the pimples I had that were dried out were whiteheads.

So my main question is, can this climate I live in (and climate/seasonal changes) be causing most of the acne I'm getting? It's been since the last 3 years ever since I moved over, and it hasn't stopped since until I reach winter/early spring.

Thank you all for your help and time! :D

MemberMember
(@torquemonster)

Posted : 10/20/2013 3:41 am

My experience is that higher heat and humidity can definitely exasperate skin issues. Blocked pores allow sweat to be trapped in my skin and warmer/moister conditions are better for bacteria/fungas production.