Notifications
Clear all

Advice On Starting Spiro And Retin-A?

MemberMember
(@lmw315)

Posted : 10/03/2013 10:47 am

My dermatologist just prescribed me .0025% Retin-A cream and 50 mg of spironolactone for my hormonal acne. I've heard that both of these can cause pretty severe initial breakouts on their own, so I'm TERRIFIED of what they could do together. I'm also on a three-month course of doxycycline for my inflammation.

Should I start the spiro first and then introduce the Retin-A in a few months? Also, can anyone recommend a moisturizer to use in conjunction with the Retin-A to minimize flaking and irritation? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@calumma)

Posted : 10/03/2013 11:49 am

Hmm, i did not get a horrendous IB but My skin got a bit worse in the beginnings. My doc prescribed me doxy to avoid a badvinitisl breakout until my skin gets better . I would have doubts about starting both together, because this might give you the IB from hell. But at the other hand, I think when you are done with it, your skin will be great. And now if you clear it with spiro, you will probably get a frustrating relapse at the beginning of adding Retin A. But maybe you won't need it at all anyway, because the Spiro clears it. I love the combination of Spiro and AHA and BHA. The Spiro helped hast with the cysts, and the pauas choice got rid of the comedones

MemberMember
(@lmw315)

Posted : 10/03/2013 12:06 pm

Hmm, i did not get a horrendous IB but My skin got a bit worse in the beginnings. My doc prescribed me doxy to avoid a badvinitisl breakout until my skin gets better . I would have doubts about starting both together, because this might give you the IB from hell. But at the other hand, I think when you are done with it, your skin will be great. And now if you clear it with spiro, you will probably get a frustrating relapse at the beginning of adding Retin A. But maybe you won't need it at all anyway, because the Spiro clears it. I love the combination of Spiro and AHA and BHA. The Spiro helped hast with the cysts, and the pauas choice got rid of the comedones

Thanks! I think I might just try the spiro on its own. My skin is super sensitive to topicals.

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 10/03/2013 2:30 pm

Spiro is such a good option, it cleared me up without an IB and i hope it will do the same now that i am back on it, nothing else worked except a very restrictive diet. I don't know about the dosage, most people need 100 mg or more so if it doesn't clear you at first try to up the dosage. Perhaps this is why your derm prescribed retin-a as well.

MemberMember
(@ancoraimparo)

Posted : 10/05/2013 4:46 pm

Make sure you ease into the retin-A. Use every 3 days for a week, then every 2, then everyday. Never over-do it or over-wash. It can severely damage/dehydrate your skin barrier giving you alot more problems. If you experience extreme redness, or inflammation, stay off it until you recover. And also, never take long hot showers. Be as gentle with your skin as possible. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@patrick92)

Posted : 10/07/2013 4:58 am

My dermatologist just prescribed me .0025% Retin-A cream and 50 mg of spironolactone for my hormonal acne. I've heard that both of these can cause pretty severe initial breakouts on their own, so I'm TERRIFIED of what they could do together. I'm also on a three-month course of doxycycline for my inflammation.

Should I start the spiro first and then introduce the Retin-A in a few months? Also, can anyone recommend a moisturizer to use in conjunction with the Retin-A to minimize flaking and irritation? Thanks!

Being a guy I've obviously never done hormonal treatments for acne but I'm currently on 0.05% Retin-A and a 3 month course of doxy to prevent any initial breakout. I can honestly tell you I've experienced no worsening of my acne what so ever, probably mostly thanks to doxy I think. If I was you I'd just get started with both spiro and Retina-A at the same as doxy should prevent any bad initial breakouts. Also Retin-A takes a while to start working so the sooner you start, the sooner you'll begin to see improvements. I haven't moisturized much while on Retin-A purely because I haven't experienced bad flaking or irritation, but your skin can become more sensitive to the sun so maybe a good combined sunscreen/moisturizer such as neutrogena's oil free SPF15 moisturiser would be good. I currently use it if I'm going to be in the sun a lot and it hasn't broken me out at all.

MemberMember
(@calumma)

Posted : 10/07/2013 5:06 am

The combination of Spiro AND Doxy can be a bit harsh on your stomach though, so meke sure you take it with enough to eat if you decide to do that