Notifications
Clear all

Starting Accutane Today

MemberMember
(@plswork)

Posted : 09/30/2013 10:52 am

So I got my meds today. It makes me kind of nervous reading about the side effects so I'm here for the support I read there will be pretty bad breakouts which make it kind of iffy along with the dry skin and lips. I"ll be on a 40mg pill for a month can u guys give me pointers on how to reduce the breakouts and what moisturizers to take. Also i go to the gym every now and than will that help? Thanks

MemberMember
(@c-holmes)

Posted : 10/02/2013 11:26 am

Hi Plswork. I will be completing my first month of accutane this Friday. I am currently on 40mg and Friday my dosage is supposed to increase to 80mg but we'll see. For the first month I guess I was one of the lucky ones who did not experience an initial breakout. I think I developed maybe 4 or 5 pimples overall in the first month. I think I didnt experience an initial breakout b/c I was put on Bactrim prior to starting accutane.

The only major side effect I have experienced was the dry lips. As a matter fact that is what has been driving me crazy up until yesterday. I must have tried every lip balm known to man. Yesterday while at work a light bulb went off in my head to mix a 100% coco butter with vaseline (melting it on low in the microwave) and since yesterday my lips have felt normal again and have retained so much moisture (of course I had to peel off the dead skin on my lips). One advice for your lips is DO NOT let them get dry, chapped, and bleed....keep them moisturized. I have had no issues with dry skin on body but I have aquaphor and cetaphil to thank for that. I use Ambi moisturizer on my face but I thinking about changing over to Eucerin.

As for the gym, I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and at least three of those days involve heavy lifting. I have experience sore muscles but that is to be expected with weight training, to me my muscles being sore is nothing out of the ordinary or to the point that I feel the need to be concerned. Good luck on your journey!

MemberMember
(@stelth91)

Posted : 10/02/2013 5:48 pm

Yep I started around ten days ago. I had a party minor initial breakout but that's about it. Maybe a cyst here and there but overall I'm pretty happy

MemberMember
(@plswork)

Posted : 10/09/2013 1:19 am

thanks for the feed back I appreciate it, my lips have gotten dry but I apply Vaseline every 2 hours atleast and I haven't broken out bad but ive managed to gain a few pimple =T