Is Shaving Causing ...

Notifications
Clear all

Is Shaving Causing My Acne ?

MemberMember
(@fondbandage)

Posted : 09/28/2013 4:33 pm

I am 32. For many years I had acne on my face and neck. Eventually, Roaccutane / Accutane solved the problem. It was the only medication that worked and it was effective.

However, over the last two years, I have suffered from acne or acne-like spots but 95% are on my neck and especially on my jawline. I don't really get anything other than minor blemishes elsewhere.

The spots on my neck and jawline look like acne in as much as they are red, sometimes hurt, and sometimes show whiteheads.

For example, right now I have one bump on my jawline which is slightly painful.

I have used the 2.5% benzyl peroxide solution but I'm not convinced it is helping.

I can shave and then nothing appears for, say, five days. Then, over the next two days, four spots may come up. Alternatively, one or two spots may appear the day after shaving. I do not notice any consistency - it appears to be (good or bad) luck as to whether new ones emerge.

Currently I am using an electric razor. The main reason is because if I have bumps then a manual razor will cut them and cause them to bleed.

I have a Braun Series 3 which cost about 60 ($90). It's about 18 months old and - although I clean it with the oil and brush that came with it - I've never replaced the head.

The only reason I can see why I have 95% of the bumps on my neck is if they are a result of shaving. Moreover, the jawline seems particularly bad and this is where I shave the most aggressively (as the hair is harder to remove than that which is on the neck).

I don't mind paying 150+ for a razor - if it solves the problem! My sanity is worth more than a few pounds!

So my questions are:

What razor/s do people suggest that are sensitive to the skin and reduce the likelihood of new spots?

What creams / gels / treatments do people recommend for the skin after shaving to reduce the likelihood of new spots?

Many thanks!

MemberMember
(@calumma)

Posted : 09/29/2013 4:37 am

Women have those shaving issues as well ( although not the face usually...). For shaving caused skin irritations/ zits I highly recommend PFB Vanish. And yes, you can put in onto your face if it is not too sensitive. Apply it afterwards and 1-2 times a day in between , just see how the skin reacts. Shaving can give you bad zits and pimples and even cysts in all parts pf the body, so I guess it can do this with the face as well

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/29/2013 1:24 pm

I may be in the minority, but shaving with an electric razor always made my skin irritated because of the pressure I'd have to use. I have a thick Irish/Italian beard and have used the Gillette Mach 3 razor with Edge Shave gel for years with no issues though. Maybe try a wet shave like that every now and then? You definitely get a closer shave that way with less irritation

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 09/29/2013 6:56 pm

Its possible it isnt acne. Acne and seb derm caused by malassezia look similar, in that they are red bumps. I have seb derm thats basically ok now, but even now when I get a haircut with an electric razor it feels like I have ants in my hair for hours afterwards, so Im in agreement with CBIOTs idea that a wet shave is much more pleasant.

You could consider using Piroctone Olamine, which is effective against malassezia. onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-2494.2010.00623.x/pdf Nivea Sensitive Shaving Gel, and Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, have Piroctone Olamine (PO). None of the other 34 products in the Nivea line have PO so check the label. I dont know of any other shaving products that are effective against seb derm caused by malassezia

Most interesting is that the Shave Balm is a lotion. There are only two effective commercial lotions, (Nizoral 2% cream and now Nivea Sensitive Shave Balm). Seb derm needs to be treated with a shampoo and a leave-on lotion. The smell of the Shave Balm is too soapy but 1 drop of cinammon leaf oil fixes that.

MemberMember
(@fondbandage)

Posted : 09/30/2013 2:18 pm

I have looked on Google Images for seb derm and malassezia and am not convinced they are my symptons.

However, I take the point that a wet shave is going to be less aggressive on the skin than a dry shave.

I looked in Boots (English dugstore) today and saw the Phillips AT941 which is wet/dry rotary shaver. It is expensive (180!!!) but I am prepared to pay as it certainly cannot do me any harm and will be superior to my Braun 3 foil shaver which is a dry shave.

I will also invest in the Nivea Sensitive Shaving Gel, and Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm assuming they are in stock.

Question: for a wet shave is it essential to use a gel beforehand with an electric (rather than manual) razor?

Thanks for the advice.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/30/2013 5:42 pm

It probably depends on what kind of shaver it is, and personal preference. I don't think you have to with most of them, but at the same time if you are trying to get a close shave the gel/foam will spare your skin some irritation.

But if you are jusy looking for a quick trim or don't feel like using shave gel I don't see a problem with it really.

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 10/29/2013 1:42 am

I may be in the minority, but shaving with an electric razor always made my skin irritated because of the pressure I'd have to use. I have a thick Irish/Italian beard and have used the Gillette Mach 3 razor with Edge Shave gel for years with no issues though. Maybe try a wet shave like that every now and then? You definitely get a closer shave that way with less irritation

I switched to Gillette Mach 3 razor with Edge Shave gel like you and it solved most of my shaving related acne problems (cysts, large nodules, in grown hairs). Proper hygiene of the skin and blades are a most along with good prep. I shave after showering at night, occassional morning. Seemed to help.

I switched to electric for 5 months. It worked.. at times if i did it perfect the shave that is. I had the philips one you can use in the shower, but no matter where i used it (dry or wet) I would develop nodules days later. The razor's action probably aids exfloxiation better than an electic.Who knows. I'm satisfied though.

MemberMember
(@epicbro)

Posted : 05/17/2014 12:02 pm

I seriously have the same issue. Usually the spot will pop up within 24 hours of shaving. And I almost notice it right after the shave. I've tried everything DE and I feel like 2 blade with pivot is the best option but still not perfect as I still get issues. I feel like shave daily could help or using a fresh blade every time but that.s $$$