Notifications
Clear all

Anything Besides Surgery For A Few Pock Scars?

MemberMember
(@tomsawyer301)

Posted : 09/04/2013 3:11 pm

Anything at all that can help smooth or stretch them a bit? Any creams? Even a small improvement would be great. Thanks

MemberMember
(@jfiligree)

Posted : 09/04/2013 11:22 pm

Anything at all that can help smooth or stretch them a bit? Any creams? Even a small improvement would be great. Thanks

Try dermarolling for sure.

MemberMember
(@tomsawyer301)

Posted : 09/05/2013 6:09 am

What is that? I know nothing about it.

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 09/05/2013 10:34 am

You could try covering them up with something like dermaflage, a type of silicone makeup that fills in scars. I haven't tried it but I am interested in trying it out once accutane clears me up. I have heard a lot of people have trouble applying the dermaflage though.

image03%2820%29.jpg

That's an example of a dermaroller. Basically, you roll it over your scarred skin in multiple directions once every 6 weeks or more. It stimulates collagen formation and some people find it significantly improves their scars. You can get it professionally done or do it at home (more risky). Most people use topicals to prime the skin before dermarolling, like retin-a, vitamin c/copper peptides. I would research about it tons. The forums at the owndoc website has a lot of info. Also: google scholar.

I haven't tried dermarolling but I have been doing research. There's also single needling and the dermastamp. Dermastamp or single needling might be easier in your case if you just have a few isolated pockmarks. Maybe add in suction for possibly more improvement.

Be aware that it doesn't work for everyone. And some people say that it has worsened their skin.

MemberMember
(@tomsawyer301)

Posted : 09/05/2013 11:49 am

It might worsen the skin? Now that's a scary thought. Just watched some Youtube videos on it and everyone seems to say it helped.

Oh...and what do you mean by adding in suction?

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 09/07/2013 8:49 am

It might worsen the skin? Now that's a scary thought. Just watched some Youtube videos on it and everyone seems to say it helped.

Oh...and what do you mean by adding in suction?

It is a scary thought, but it's anecdotal. Those who experienced negative results might have been rolling improperly (like using too long of needles or rolling too frequently). For acne scars, you want to roll with 1.5 mm needles, every 6 + weeks. Rolling more frequently could damage the newly formed collagen.

And by suction, I mean using some type of suction pump over your scars to prevent the surface of the scar from tethering down again. People have tried this after subcision and have experienced success (look for the "Man in the Mirror" post on here). I'm not entirely positive if it works after needling, but some people say they have experienced success using it after needling. Check out the forums at owndoc.

Here is a scientific article about suction after subcision: Click!

MemberMember
(@tomsawyer301)

Posted : 09/07/2013 9:49 am

Okay, but you told me I should use the Dermastamp. Is that better results, safer and/or easier to use? Will it help for a few pock scars that are more than 20 years old? When you say use it every 6 weeks, do you mean use it every 'day' for 6 weeks? Thanks

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 09/07/2013 10:55 am

Okay, but you told me I should use the Dermastamp. Is that better results, safer and/or easier to use? Will it help for a few pock scars that are more than 20 years old? When you say use it every 6 weeks, do you mean use it every 'day' for 6 weeks? Thanks

Yeah, dermastamp is smaller and easier to use. You don't have to stamp the whole face, just where you have the pock marks. I think there's a certain technique to it too, maybe watch some videos or do some reading. And definitely not every day! Once every 6 weeks. It might take almost a year before seeing improvement. Again, I can not vouch for it as I have not tried it. Just relaying what I have heard and researched.

MemberMember
(@tomsawyer301)

Posted : 09/07/2013 11:11 am

That's funny because the 5 or 6 videos I saw said to use it once a day, or every other day, for about three months. I will do some more research though. Can you recommend a size or brand of Dermastamp to get?

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 09/07/2013 12:34 pm

That's funny because the 5 or 6 videos I saw said to use it once a day, or every other day, for about three months. I will do some more research though. Can you recommend a size or brand of Dermastamp to get?

That's probably because they are using the smaller 0.5 mm or 0.75 mm ones. Which might help for product penetration but I don't think they are effective for acne scars from what I have read (someone else might have a different opinion). With the bigger ones, you want the treatments to be more spaced it out. I've heard of some people using the smaller needles every other day and then once every 6 weeks, they use the bigger needles.

1.5 mm dermastamp to start off with. Maybe work your way up to 2 mm but I wouldn't go higher than that. Not so sure about the brand. I would look at reviews. And when the needles get dull, toss it and get a new dermastamp.

MemberMember
(@tomsawyer301)

Posted : 09/07/2013 3:30 pm

Okay..great..and thanks. Other than what you told me...is there any other options for pock scars?

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 09/08/2013 9:50 am

Ok seriously. Those people who use it everyday or even once a week have no idea what they are doing. The only needle lengths you can use 2 a week or once a weeks is a 0.25mm or 0.5mm dermastamp or dermaroller.

People who says they get results immediately are only seeing a temporary microswelling. Collagen takes months to regenerate.

Also , from my research, dermastamps are WAY less riskier than dermarollers.

Why?

That's because when you dermaroll, the angle that the needles insert is not straight or not in a 90 degree angle. just try to visualize it. So it makes little triangular holes on the face. While a dermastamps dont roll. They insert much easier, with a better angle, and they penetrate easier than a dermaroller so it leaves smaller holes. Oh, did i mention that dermastamps have less risk of bending its needles?

People who made their skin worse usually used the dermaroller.

Consider these.

Are you a good healer?

The younger you are the better.

Some topicals might hinder your progress including anti-inflammatory topicals, vitamin e, etc.

you see, the dermastamps inflames your skin tricking it that it need healing. So if you put anti inflammatory, your defeating the purpose.

You also need to be careful of the products you use while you dermastamp. You are making tiny passages for topicals. While it might benefit you, it is a double edged sword. If you put topicals with bad ingredients, you are putting that deep inside your skin.

If you use a 1mm, do it every month.

1.5mm every 5-6 weeks.

Dont use longer than 1.5mm because it is riskier and that is another level. 2mm are used for really deep scars.

You can use single needles or dermastamps.

I would be afraid of dermarollers. These sometimes leave track mark scars. And gives orange peel texture.

So definitely, dermastamps wins.

Now, if you didnt have improvements after a year, or if your icepick scars are really really deep. Then

Tca cross is a good option.

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 09/10/2013 8:38 am

Okay..great..and thanks. Other than what you told me...is there any other options for pock scars?

That's not really invasive? There's fillers. Mixed results and temporary. But some can last for a year or so.

I've also heard a little about saline injections and how it can improve scars over time. But I haven't read much about it and from what little I have read it's all anecdotal.

And yes, as the person above mentioned, there is TCA cross. More invasive, but I think it is less invasive than lasers. It is usually used for ice picks.

MemberMember
(@tomsawyer301)

Posted : 09/11/2013 5:39 am

Okay sorry, but I know so little about this. What is TCA cross?