Notifications
Clear all

Spotting Between Periods While On Spiro

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 09/03/2013 1:48 pm

I have been taking Spiro for about 2 months now. I increased the dosage from 50 mg to 100 mg last month. During the course of these two months, my period was regular and fine...but recently I have noticed spotting between my periods. It's not like this scares me or anything, as I have heard that Spiro can cause irregular periods or spotting. But I just want to know, will my cycle balance out? Will the spotting eventually stop, or do I have to lower my dosage to stop? I finally feel clear on 100 mg and I don't want to go back to 50. :/

It's just really annoying to have this spotting, it ruins my underwear and I'm not going to wear a tampon everyday! :/

MemberMember
(@hope27)

Posted : 09/03/2013 2:01 pm

i took it years ago it was clearing my acne but it was giving me 2 periods a month . had to stop . and when I did I didn't get my period for moths after that.. it messed up my hormones .. sad cus it was working for me . im still irregular after taking it .. I was not like that before taking this pill .. each body is different hope it works for u ..

It also gaved me vaginal dryness .. that I still have .. this pill messed with my hormones ... do u have any other side effects .. cus if its just that I think u would be fine ..

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 09/03/2013 4:26 pm

I recently upped my dose from 100 to 200 because I got a breakout after ages of clear skin. Now I'm getting two periods a month and the breakouts have persisted. Did you get a breakout when you went from 50-100? If so, how long did it last?

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 09/03/2013 4:37 pm

I recently upped my dose from 100 to 200 because I got a breakout after ages of clear skin. Now I'm getting two periods a month and the breakouts have persisted. Did you get a breakout when you went from 50-100? If so, how long did it last?

No I didn't have any breakouts when I went from 50 - 100. My breakouts have cleared since going on 100 so hopefully they don't come back. My only problem is the spotting...it's not like a second period I think, just spotting. But it's still annoying..

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/03/2013 9:52 pm

1. Wait for a month or two, many times spotting resolves on its own

2. If after waiting, it is not resolved, try DIM to address a possible estrogen metabolism problem. Give this a month.

3. If all else fails, natural progesterone cream OR birth control pills. Both will basically force your body to regulate your period. But really, keep this as a last resort, because it's a new can of worms.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 09/10/2013 10:50 am

2. If after waiting, it is not resolved, try DIM to address a possible estrogen metabolism problem. Give this a month.

3. If all else fails, natural progesterone cream OR birth control pills. Both will basically force your body to regulate your period. But really, keep this as a last resort, because it's a new can of worms.

Well, after spotting for about 4 days, the spotting stopped for 2 days. I was thinking maybe the spotting occurred because I missed a dosage one day. Now, however, I've got my full on period for the 2nd time this month (had my normal period 2 weeks ago).

Uuugh. At this point, I don't know if I should wait it out and possibly continue getting 2 periods a month or if I should just try BC. I called the doctor that prescribed me the Spiro and I spoke to her medical assistant. She suggested I go to my gyno and see what they say before I do anything. She also suggested me going back down to 50 mg a day, but I'm seeing such great results in my skin on 100 mg. I love what Spiro has done for my skin, but this whole constant periods thing...just sucks. I'd be willing to get on BC if it'll balance out my periods.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/10/2013 6:38 pm

Well, after spotting for about 4 days, the spotting stopped for 2 days. I was thinking maybe the spotting occurred because I missed a dosage one day. Now, however, I've got my full on period for the 2nd time this month (had my normal period 2 weeks ago).

Uuugh. At this point, I don't know if I should wait it out and possibly continue getting 2 periods a month or if I should just try BC. I called the doctor that prescribed me the Spiro and I spoke to her medical assistant. She suggested I go to my gyno and see what they say before I do anything. She also suggested me going back down to 50 mg a day, but I'm seeing such great results in my skin on 100 mg. I love what Spiro has done for my skin, but this whole constant periods thing...just sucks. I'd be willing to get on BC if it'll balance out my periods.

If you don't want to deal with BC, you can also use natural over the counter progesterone cream to regulate your periods. You may respond it to better than prescription BC which contains synthetic progestin, plus extra estradiol (synthetic estrogen), which you may not need/want.

You would use progesterone cream on days 12-26 of your cycle (day 1 being the first day of your period). I think it is likely that it will stop your "extra" period. I like the Beeyoutiful Balance Cream. Their website also has lots of instructions. http://www.beeyoutiful.com/beeyoutiful-balance.html

MemberMember
(@travellinggal1170)

Posted : 09/10/2013 9:34 pm

Spiro has shortened the days between my cycles (although not bad, 3 - 5 days). Still, I'm monitoring it and naturally, no one wants a period every 2 weeks.

I'll keep Green Gables' suggestions in mind and I'd really like to avoid the bcp. Ugh, these darn hormones.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 09/10/2013 11:12 pm

If you don't want to deal with BC, you can also use natural over the counter progesterone cream to regulate your periods. You may respond it to better than prescription BC which contains synthetic progestin, plus extra estradiol (synthetic estrogen), which you may not need/want.

You would use progesterone cream on days 12-26 of your cycle (day 1 being the first day of your period). I think it is likely that it will stop your "extra" period. I like the Beeyoutiful Balance Cream. Their website also has lots of instructions. http://www.beeyoutiful.com/beeyoutiful-balance.html

Do you mean day 1 as in day 1 of my "extra" period, which was yesterday? I didn't write down when the first day of my "real" period was this month.

I went to the pharmacy to get my BC (Desogen) filled, but they need further authorization from my dr first. Now I'm thinking I may try the progesterone cream first. Is it a once a day thing?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/11/2013 9:30 pm

Do you mean day 1 as in day 1 of my "extra" period, which was yesterday? I didn't write down when the first day of my "real" period was this month.

I went to the pharmacy to get my BC (Desogen) filled, but they need further authorization from my dr first. Now I'm thinking I may try the progesterone cream first. Is it a once a day thing?

It doesn't matter which Day 1, just pick the period that you want to be "the" period.

Directly from the website I linked you to: http://www.beeyoutiful.com/beeyoutiful-balance.html

Application: When you first start using Beeyoutiful Balance bio-identical progesterone cream, it is a good idea to measure the amount you intend to use with a measuring spoon. This will help you to get a feel for how much you should be applying. Because progesterone only lasts in the body for six to eight hours, it's important to divide your dose into two applications: 1/8 teaspoon in the morning, and 1/8 teaspoon just before bed. Massage the cream into the soft-skinned areas of your body like the inner arms, chest, throat, abdomen, inner thighs, and face. Always apply after bathing, not before, and don't apply on top of other creams or fragrances. Alternate area of application: Progesterone absorbs rapidly through the skin, into the fat, and then into the bloodstream.

Alternating application sites is suggested for maximum results, as progesterone can "saturate" the fat in one area, lessening its benefits.

Concentration Based on Dr. John Lee's recommendation that progesterone cream contain 900-1000 mg, Beeyoutiful Balance bio-identical progesterone cream contains approximately 1000 mg of USP progesterone per 2 oz container. It is stronger than many creams on the market, so you might find that you don't need as much as you did using another cream. Use common sense and follow Dr. Lee's guidelines. Every woman must adjust the dose to meet her own personal needs. If you do the math, a 2 oz container should last 1-2 months, depending of individual usage.

Remember, if you don't use it consistently, you won't have relief of symptoms! On the other side of the coin, MORE IS NOT BETTER! Keep in mind that it can take up to three months for your body to reach normal physiologic levels of progesterone. The body normally produces between 15-30 mg of progesterone per day, so gauge your use in light of this.

1/4 tsp. contains approximately 20 mg progesterone

1/8 tsp. contains approximately 10 mg progesterone

Suggested use for Premenopausal women: According to Dr. Lee, most premenopausal women need only 15-20 mg of progesterone a day, which is about what the body would make if it was producing its own progesterone. Some women do better with 30 mg, and others are fine with about 10 mg. The object is to use the lowest possible dose and still have relief of symptoms. For severe PMS or premenopause symptoms, start using the cream on approximately day 12, counting the first day of your last menstrual period as day 1; and continue to use it until day 26 or 27. The decrease in progesterone levels will trigger menstruation within a day or two. For minor symptoms, use the cream fewer days. For cramping, apply cream directly to the abdomen three to four times in a day as needed.

Suggested use for Menopausal women: Menopausal women can use progesterone cream for approximately three weeks out of every month. The monthly 4-7 day break is important for the body to continue to absorb and gain the maximum benefits, so make a calendar and post it in your bathroom, marking the days of use and abstaining. The object is to fall in line with the body's natural rhythm as closely as possible.

Side-effects of Natural Progesterone: Natural Progesterone very rarely has side effects, unlike its synthetic version. According to Dr. John R. Lee, almost all side effects are caused by gross overdose or mixing other hormones such as estrogen and testosterone. Some women report that they experience estrogen dominance symptoms for up to two weeks after starting to use Natural Progesterone Cream, caused by a sensitization of estrogen receptors. Breast tenderness is common, but temporary. If too intense, lower your dose a little until your body adjusts. If a menstruating woman takes natural progesterone out of phase with her cycle, it could change the timing of her period or cause some spotting. All in all, it is extremely rare for a woman to experience genuine side-effects from properly using Natural Progesterone.