Notifications
Clear all

Does Bp Bleach Skin?

MemberMember
(@amyyrose)

Posted : 08/30/2013 5:27 am

Will using benzoyl peroxide bleach my skin?

Seriously, I have medium toned skin and I applied some benzoyl peroxide to my skin tonight and I am freaking out about if over time will it turn my skin to a lighter colour?

Also will I get redness or anything? I am seriously thinking of discontinuing the use of this product already! I'm so scared of getting redness and a light coloured face sad.png

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/02/2013 1:01 pm

No, the bleaching agent in benzoyl peroxide does not affect skin, but it will bleach towels, sheets, clothes, etc. In fact in many people it causes the reverse effect, and will darken your skin somewhat (this happened to me personally.)

Hydroquinone and kojic acids are the main non-prescription ingredients that will actually bleach skin.

MemberMember
(@marysciencegirl)

Posted : 09/02/2013 6:57 pm

I've been using BP (Proactive) for 10 years and I don't think it has bleached my skin. But yes, it will bleach any fabric. My towels are always multicolored, no matter how careful I am!

MemberMember
(@amyyrose)

Posted : 09/02/2013 8:59 pm

Thank you for the reply and information Green Gables and Marysciencegirl :) Greatly appreciated! I feel better using it now I was a bit scared about it turning my face pale and leaving my body my olive complexion. :D