Notifications
Clear all

Oxytetracycline

MemberMember
(@emmie92)

Posted : 08/28/2013 5:50 am

I have always suffered with the odd pimple here and there but it was never a real issue. I did however visit my GP a number of times as, being a 15 year old, it was THEN a major thing. Looking back on my skin then I can't help but laugh.

I am now 21. I recently came off my birth control pill (Marvelon) around May, after being on it for just 4 months, (had to come off due to mood swings!). I have now broken out like a 13 year old just hitting puberty! I mean totally, all over my face, makeup cannot even hide it. I look back at pictures from only June last year and I haven't a single blemish on my face.. what a year can do eh?

Anyway, I have recently started taking Oxytetracycline. At first, I didn't really see an improvement, it was almost getting worse. 4 weeks in, I can see that my skin is a lot calmer. Not necessarily clearer, but definitely calmer. Unfortunately, Accutane is a big no-no for me. Even if I were to consider it, I doubt my GP would let me be a candidate for a number of reasons.

I have tried this whole 'inside out' thing too. Cut out dairy, no sugar, chocolate or sweets, no fizzy drinks and tonnes and tonnes of water and fruit. Smoothies, honey facemasks, lemon and eggwhite facemaks, Vitamin A, Zinc, Evening of Primose oil and Vitamin B complex supplements - the list is literally endless.

I would consider the Pill again I guess - I have a dermatology appointment 1st Oct so we will just see if that is the answer for me... acne or moodswings - tough decision!

I was just wondering if anyone else who has extremely persistant acne had any positive outcomes from this antibiotic. (Persistant - I have tried Retin-A which just dried out my skin something terrible, numerous BP products, salicylic washes, you name it)

I look forward to hearing your comments!

X

MemberMember
(@clear-my-skin)

Posted : 08/28/2013 6:34 am

I'm on Oxytetracycline currently, in fact I've been on it for two weeks so far. I'm interested if this antibiotic will still work if you have REALLY REALLY REALLY oily skin. When did you start to see an improvement? Or the calmness?

MemberMember
(@emmie92)

Posted : 08/29/2013 9:18 am

It has literally only just started. I had extremely oily skin too - I had to use them anti-shine papers like 3 times a day! I haven't needed to use one now for just over a week. I'm coming to the end of my 4th week and with the exception of like 1 or 2 whiteheads, the rest of the pimples just seem to be drying out. I am doing my BEST to avoid picking at them as I know this will just lengthen the healing time! To be honest, I almost gave up taking them cause I was like well, they don't seem to be doing anything at all - but stick it out for a while, a month minimum. I won't say the change has been drastic as of yet, but I have had a few people say that my face seems to be more of a 'flat canvas' now, as opposed to raised pimples all over and that the redness is subsiding. How are you getting on with them so far?

Ooh - I can see that you are on Duac - I tried this when I was a youngster but didn't commit to it as much as I should. I was thinking about giving it another shot - I have 4 weeks til my dermatologist appointment. How are you finding it?

MemberMember
(@clear-my-skin)

Posted : 08/31/2013 8:24 pm

Sorry

It has literally only just started. I had extremely oily skin too - I had to use them anti-shine papers like 3 times a day! I haven't needed to use one now for just over a week. I'm coming to the end of my 4th week and with the exception of like 1 or 2 whiteheads, the rest of the pimples just seem to be drying out. I am doing my BEST to avoid picking at them as I know this will just lengthen the healing time! To be honest, I almost gave up taking them cause I was like well, they don't seem to be doing anything at all - but stick it out for a while, a month minimum. I won't say the change has been drastic as of yet, but I have had a few people say that my face seems to be more of a 'flat canvas' now, as opposed to raised pimples all over and that the redness is subsiding. How are you getting on with them so far?

Ooh - I can see that you are on Duac - I tried this when I was a youngster but didn't commit to it as much as I should. I was thinking about giving it another shot - I have 4 weeks til my dermatologist appointment. How are you finding it?

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 09/01/2013 4:30 am

Info on oxytetracycline and other oral antibiotics:
post-145613-0-31219300-1377774474_thumb.
(Click to enlarge)

post-145613-0-31219300-1377774474_thumb.

MemberMember
(@clear-my-skin)

Posted : 09/01/2013 4:39 pm

Info on oxytetracycline and other oral antibiotics:
(Click to enlarge)

Typical, the NHS put me on the cheapest option... And the one where you have to arrange meals and things... Oh well, onwards and upwards!

MemberMember
(@emmie92)

Posted : 09/02/2013 7:23 am

Well, I've been on 2 of the more expensive ones already with no improvements - not always about the cost! Yeah I guess a few pimples aren't so bad but my goodness, my face is still covered in persistent red marks which I'm not even too sure whether they're scars or whether they're still active - so frustrating! & yes, the whole 'empty stomach' business is a pain! It's difficult to plan meals! The problems with all medications for acne, it's all trial and error.

Well I'd be really interested to know how you get on - so keep us posted!

All the best!

:)

MemberMember
(@clear-my-skin)

Posted : 09/02/2013 11:10 am

Well, I've been on 2 of the more expensive ones already with no improvements - not always about the cost! Yeah I guess a few pimples aren't so bad but my goodness, my face is still covered in persistent red marks which I'm not even too sure whether they're scars or whether they're still active - so frustrating! & yes, the whole 'empty stomach' business is a pain! It's difficult to plan meals! The problems with all medications for acne, it's all trial and error.

Well I'd be really interested to know how you get on - so keep us posted!

All the best!

:)

Oh, so you previously took a cycline? Hopefully that's not the case with Oxy! I hope this one is different for you :).

Ugh, i have the same problem! I think most of my acne is red marks, but I'm not really sure.

Tomorrow evening I'll have taken 3 weeks worth of oxytetracycline (thatll be 21,000mg of the stuff) however I don't really see much of an improvement. I'm really really really hoping that I can get rid of at least half of my acne by October the 25th, as I'll be going to China that week. Photos! Eek. Ill have taken 10 weeks worth of oxytetracycline by then.

Keep on marching!!