Notifications
Clear all

Painful Setbacks

MemberMember
(@spaceyseth)

Posted : 08/28/2013 12:35 am

Hey All,

I was wondering how often other people have felt that when they finally seemed to have "cured" themselves of acne (or at least severe acne/eczmea/etc), it comes back just as strong as before?

Right now, I experienced 2 blissful months where my eczema/folliculitis was clearing to level I hadn't seen in 3 years thanks to pancreatic & digestive enzymes. I thought I had my life back!!!!!!!!! I COULD NOT BELIEVE that I was FINALLY on the path towards the norm, and could LIVE my life, get passionate in my long-put-aside hobbies, and FORGET worrying about my health/diet/etc. that would effect my skin.

However, when I returned home, where the weather is more humid (or so I think is the cause), my acne is slowly slipping towards its prior state. I am so depressed! Red pustules have begun forming on my lower & upper arms, back, and thighs...the thought of these tortuous things returning is almost a nightmare.

So, how often have you guys experienced setbacks from situations where you seemed sure you had found the cure, and what has been the eventual outcome for you?

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them!

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 08/28/2013 4:34 am

It is maddening...and it's likely happened to all of us. You have to attack acne on all fronts, internally with supplements and diet, externally with topicals...and we can't take a day off.

If you sense it's the humidity (it would be great if you could go back to where you were for a few weeks to really test this theory), then think about what you can do in response to that.

You just haven't found the right combination - keep up the fight! It IS out there, it often requires effort and time, but it IS out there!

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 08/28/2013 8:23 am

I can totally relate to what you are going thru. I took a brief 2 month course of accutane approx 4 years ago and wasnt able to complete my course due to liver problems. I had a horrible initial breakout, but that IB cleared out all the junk in my pores. When I was pulled off, I was put on a regimen of Acanya in the morning and Differin at night. This worked like magic for 3 years.

Now, for some reason, Im experiencing the same breakouts that I was dealing w/ before. Ive tried another topical in the meantime but wasnt getting results. So Im back on the original regimen I was using and I am more than disappointed.

Heartbreaking I guess is the right word. I, too, am at a pretty low point right now. I dont know what words of advice I can offer because Id be a hypocrite, not being able to follow my own advice. I guess I can just say to try to keep your head up and keep looking for that magic combination that will help you out.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@spaceyseth)

Posted : 08/28/2013 7:42 pm

Thanks mrsrobinson and goodz19 for the stories and support! :)

Your comments help put things in perspective. I realize while it is heartbreaking and tough at times, this is a natural sentiment that is part of the overall journey to clear skin. It makes me feel a whole lot better to have company in these experiences, and you've helped me get back on track with things rather than conclude a fatalistic end.

Hope you find the cure, goodz19! All the best for both of you, and take care!

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/29/2013 3:01 pm

I completely understand your pain... I first started getting acne back in November 2011 and got Lyme's disease sometime in that year. When I found out I had the disease they prescribed doxycycline and it cleared up my acne (although I didn't know that was the cure at the time) and I had a great, clear summer 2012! It slowly started to return in September and reached it's peak around November. It has stayed pretty much the same until I went back to a dermatologist almost two months ago... Really wishing she would stop being a pain in the a** and prescribe me the doxy -.-

So, I understand the frustration for sure!

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 08/29/2013 8:06 pm

and just to let you know what I went through, I tried accutane had an IB that never ended even after 7 months and had to stop due to other side effects....so you can imagine how I felt as I was convinced accutane was the wonder drug...just not for me sadly

but I kept searching these boards, experimenting until I found the combo that worked for me, which is very hard, but I'm completely off dairy and gluten and BP never worked for me but SA does

I'm not 100% clear but pretty close, just dealing with the scarring now

but I just never gave up, even after the craziness the wonder drug inflicted...so chin up and get to work to find your solution