Notifications
Clear all

Scalp Condition - Related To Acne In Any Way?

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 08/27/2013 7:15 am

Hi neighbour-la-reenos!

Ok, sorry. I'll never do it again.

Well, I'm here today to ask if anybody else gets this - 'this' being like little grains of sand on the scalp that look like hard sebum and can't be squished or anything, and if it's anything at all to do with acne. So far I've read that it could be seborrhoeic dermatitis (try spelling that when you've been awake all night!) plain old dandruff or a collection of DHT crystals (is there such a beast?). I figure if it's related to hormones then it spans from the same problem as being acne prone does. I think I used to have medicine for it when I was younger but gradually decided to stop using it for whatever reason.

Any ideas on this?

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 08/27/2013 7:39 am

I'm not sure what that is but i wanted to chime in and say I actually get a bit of scalp psoriasis (dry patches on scalp) which I also think is related to my whacky teenager hormones because that too set in at the start of puberty. It goes away when I use T-gel shampoo but with my hair being white id rather not stain it yellow. Its just annoying though, my scalp is dry and it never gets greasy yet my face is an oil slick an hour after i wash my face eusa_wall.gif

MemberMember
(@salinas)

Posted : 08/27/2013 10:15 am

It doesn't need to be hormones, washing your hair too much increases sebum production and you can guess the result.

I did stop washing my hair with shampoo for this reason (just shower hair with water) but I do still have them. I don't know for sure, but suspect because of daily overwashing in the past.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 08/27/2013 11:02 am

Hmm, interesting! I definitely don't wash my hair too often though, I'm an LHC'er :) Have you tried using some kind of oil on your scalp Ramsaymac?

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 08/27/2013 11:39 am

Hi neighbour-la-reenos!

Ok, sorry. I'll never do it again.

Well, I'm here today to ask if anybody else gets this - 'this' being like little grains of sand on the scalp that look like hard sebum and can't be squished or anything, and if it's anything at all to do with acne. So far I've read that it could be seborrhoeic dermatitis (try spelling that when you've been awake all night!) plain old dandruff or a collection of DHT crystals (is there such a beast?). I figure if it's related to hormones then it spans from the same problem as being acne prone does. I think I used to have medicine for it when I was younger but gradually decided to stop using it for whatever reason.

Any ideas on this?

Yes. Acne is largely caused by overly sticky corneocytes (skin cells) which therefore don't desquamate correctly; the same process that creates dandruff.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 08/27/2013 6:54 pm

Makes sense! Thanks very much for your informative post.