Notifications
Clear all

Any Suggestions Welcome. Doxycycline And Tretinoin Not Working.

MemberMember
(@jennlynette)

Posted : 08/19/2013 4:03 pm

Hi there everyone! I am new to posting but have been reading the forums on and off for about a year.

I've had acne for years, I am 24 and it's increased exponentially for about the last 5 years. As a teenager I would have a pimple and it would be no big deal. Now I always have one or two or five. I had blackheads whiteheads and cystic pimples for about a year before I visited the derm.

I told him I tried everything over the counter possible. Drugstore stuff. Expensive sephora and ulta stuff. And proactiv. None of it worked. He put me on one daily dose of doxycycline 100 mg and tretinoin at night. After three months it still wasn't great. He urged me to try accutane but I am scared bc I have heard terrible things. He then prescribed me clindamycin lotion to use every morning.

Now, seven months after initially going to the derm, I must admit it's a little better. I only have a cyst now and then. But I still have little dots And bumps and clogged pores all over. I significantly reduced the amount of makeup I put on as well. It's limited to mascara eyeliner and if necessary a touch of concealer. The worst part is when people try to tell me I don't have acne or that it's not that bad. I know my face. I am the one who has to look in the mirror everyday. It shouldn't be like this.

I should also mention I have been on numerous different types of birth control and none make a difference negatively or positively. I am currently on the depo shot.

I am about to throw in the towel. I am so unsure about accutane and it's apparently very expensive too. Anyone have any alternative suggestions? Open to anything. Thanks :)

The pic keeps coming up upside down :Ppost-216119-0-26298100-1376946737_thumb.

post-216119-0-26298100-1376946737_thumb.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/19/2013 5:04 pm

I was in the same situation as you. I just couldnt get my breakouts under control with topicals so I decided on a second round of Accutane. My first round gave me amazing results. Accutane is a serious drug but I think it has gotten a bad rap. I dont know really what else you could do maybe try Sprionolactone?

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 08/19/2013 5:19 pm

Same story as you, but I tried accutane, sadly I'm one of the few it didn't work for...but it does work for most.

For me I control it by avoiding gluten and dairy, totally avoiding, yes it's hard but the cysts have almost stopped.

The good news for you is that your scarring is minimal...so all you need to do is find your triggers.

The spiro suggestion is a good one to check out, only easily open to the ladies....

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 08/19/2013 5:32 pm

Hi! I was in a very similar situation as you. I'm 20 and I had very minimal acne as a young teenager but around the age of 18 it got pretty bad. All the skincare products at Sephora made me broke... Story of a woman's life I suppose! I also tried antibiotics and they improved my acne slightly, but suddenly it all came back just as bad as before.

If you had asked me 6 months ago to take Accutane, I would have said absolutely not. I was terrified of the drug and what it would do to me... Actually, I still am terrified of it. But these other treatments continued to have no effect and I was becoming increasingly depressed about my face. I came to the conclusion that although I am scared out of my mind to take Accutane, it scares me just as much if not more to live with acne any longer. It scared me to talk to people some days, scared me to leave the house, scared me to live in general. So I might as well be scared while fighting off acne for good, right?

I'm on my 7th day, taking a low dose of 10mg because I felt more comfortable easing into the medication as to reduce side effects and initial breakout. If you do decide to take Accutane, starting at a low dose might make you less anxious about the whole thing as well.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@hasmas)

Posted : 08/19/2013 6:41 pm

There is a study that showed that a topical retinoid help topical Antibiotics and BP to penetrate deeper into the skin cuasing better results and better eliminitating of bacteria. So try Duac in the morning if your skin is not to sensetive from the tretinoin if BP is to irritating try Clindamycin only shouldnt be irritating.

MemberMember
(@lindsey4546)

Posted : 08/19/2013 7:22 pm

Hi Jennlynette... I know you say you're ready to throw in the towel and I have been there too. I have suffered with acne for about 15 years. It's finally under control with generic Yaz and 2.5% benzoyl peroxide (used according to the Regimen's instructions). 2 of my siblings have been on accutane for their moderate acne and it was a miracle drug for them. Both have been acne free for 10+ years. I regret not getting on it myself back in high school.

ANother suggestion- You mentioned you tried Proactiv without success (so have I), but have you tried using 2.5% benzoyl peroxide the way it is spelled out in "The Regimen"? I started following the regimen a week ago with my own gentle cleanser, BP, and moisturizer and my skin is smoother. This seems to be the only topical that works for me.

Another comment- I'm kind of iffy about using topical or oral antibiotics for acne. They don't work that well for most people in the first place and I work in health care and I know antibiotics are over-prescribed causing more drug-resistant bacteria.

MemberMember
(@jennlynette)

Posted : 08/19/2013 8:36 pm

I was in the same situation as you. I just couldnt get my breakouts under control with topicals so I decided on a second round of Accutane. My first round gave me amazing results. Accutane is a serious drug but I think it has gotten a bad rap. I dont know really what else you could do maybe try Sprionolactone?

I wasn't aware I could try Sprionolactone. My derm basically made it seem like antibiotics or Accutane. Thank you for the info, I will ask him if it's an option for me. Accutane also makes me nervous bc I already have eczema and dry skin issues.

Same story as you, but I tried accutane, sadly I'm one of the few it didn't work for...but it does work for most.

For me I control it by avoiding gluten and dairy, totally avoiding, yes it's hard but the cysts have almost stopped.

The good news for you is that your scarring is minimal...so all you need to do is find your triggers.

The spiro suggestion is a good one to check out, only easily open to the ladies....

Oh my goodness I love me some bread and cheese. Plus cream in my coffee. I'm not sure I could handle giving those up without being a total crank all day. More power to you for sticking with it! And good idea to even think of avoiding gluten and dairy!! My scarring is minimal. Usually a scar disappears about three months after it heals. The cysts were the worst tho bc they kept coming back and hurt so bad.

Hi! I was in a very similar situation as you. I'm 20 and I had very minimal acne as a young teenager but around the age of 18 it got pretty bad. All the skincare products at Sephora made me broke... Story of a woman's life I suppose! I also tried antibiotics and they improved my acne slightly, but suddenly it all came back just as bad as before.

If you had asked me 6 months ago to take Accutane, I would have said absolutely not. I was terrified of the drug and what it would do to me... Actually, I still am terrified of it. But these other treatments continued to have no effect and I was becoming increasingly depressed about my face. I came to the conclusion that although I am scared out of my mind to take Accutane, it scares me just as much if not more to live with acne any longer. It scared me to talk to people some days, scared me to leave the house, scared me to live in general. So I might as well be scared while fighting off acne for good, right?

I'm on my 7th day, taking a low dose of 10mg because I felt more comfortable easing into the medication as to reduce side effects and initial breakout. If you do decide to take Accutane, starting at a low dose might make you less anxious about the whole thing as well.

Good luck!

Thank you! I know it's gotten so expensive I have literally tried everything. And the expensive stuff is not any better than the drugstore junk. I really applaud you for taking the jump into accutane! What you said about the low dose is def something to take into consideration. If a low dose is 10mg (once a day?) then what's a typical dose? How much does your insurance cover? If you have insurance and don't mind my asking. Thanks so much for your story. I'm sure I will get to the point where I feel like I have nothing left to lose too.

There is a study that showed that a topical retinoid help topical Antibiotics and BP to penetrate deeper into the skin cuasing better results and better eliminitating of bacteria. So try Duac in the morning if your skin is not to sensetive from the tretinoin if BP is to irritating try Clindamycin only shouldn´t be irritating.

Hi! Thanks for the technical info. I feel that in the past my skin got used to or immune to BP bc I used proactiv and even after giving up on the system, used the lotion as spot treatment. But maybe my acne wa just that bad then. Clindamycin is ok but he basically added that As. Mosturizer for me. I am not sure if it actually prevents any of my acne since I went on it about 3 months in. I will look into trying Duac? I will have to do some research I've heard of it but don't know much about it. Thank you :)

Hi Jennlynette... I know you say you're ready to throw in the towel and I have been there too. I have suffered with acne for about 15 years. It's finally under control with generic Yaz and 2.5% benzoyl peroxide (used according to the Regimen's instructions). 2 of my siblings have been on accutane for their moderate acne and it was a miracle drug for them. Both have been acne free for 10+ years. I regret not getting on it myself back in high school.

ANother suggestion- You mentioned you tried Proactiv without success (so have I), but have you tried using 2.5% benzoyl peroxide the way it is spelled out in "The Regimen"? I started following the regimen a week ago with my own gentle cleanser, BP, and moisturizer and my skin is smoother. This seems to be the only topical that works for me.

Another comment- I'm kind of iffy about using topical or oral antibiotics for acne. They don't work that well for most people in the first place and I work in health care and I know antibiotics are over-prescribed causing more drug-resistant bacteria.

Hi Lindsey! Thanks for sharing your story. Would you consider accutane as an option now if the regimen doesn't work out for you? I have to admit I have not incorporated the BP part of the regimen bc as I mentioned above I feel like in the past my skin got used to it but I could try it again. I've used it on and off for spot treatment since I discovered it at14 (it was a miracle worker then!!!!!!). I agree that antibiotics for acne may not be good in the long run. I have recently weaned myself off the doxy since I felt it wasn't working anyway. I appreciate your opinion and honest story it means a lot to me

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 08/19/2013 10:28 pm

Good luck!

Thank you! I know it's gotten so expensive I have literally tried everything. And the expensive stuff is not any better than the drugstore junk. I really applaud you for taking the jump into accutane! What you said about the low dose is def something to take into consideration. If a low dose is 10mg (once a day?) then what's a typical dose? How much does your insurance cover? If you have insurance and don't mind my asking. Thanks so much for your story. I'm sure I will get to the point where I feel like I have nothing left to lose too.

Well my doctor said the typical dose for my weight would be 30mg, which is what he initially suggested. I asked him to start on a low dose and luckily he was fine with that, and said that I could move up to 20mg in the next month or two if I wanted. I am lucky to have really good insurance, and the Accutane is 100% covered. Although the fact that I didn't pay for it made it "easier" to take, I feel like I would have regardless. When you think about all of the products and prescriptions you've used over the years, that's a ridiculous amount of money right? At least with Accutane, you know it's going to work and there's a very high chance you will never worry about acne for the rest of your life. For me, that's a worthwhile investment because my acne bothers me so much!

MemberMember
(@lindsey4546)

Posted : 08/20/2013 4:08 pm