Notifications
Clear all

Treatment Or Toner?

MemberMember
(@tleeannes)

Posted : 08/17/2013 5:28 pm

I have noticed throughout the past years I have been treating my skin for acne that not every regimen is the same. Some come with a toner (and no treatment), a treatment (and no toner), or they come with both. I have always enjoyed using the brands that come in sets of 3, even though they never worked (i.e. Murad, Proactiv, Epionce), because I felt like putting 4 different things on my skin x2 a day was a little drastic. Not to mention my skin hates everything. It is bitter! and picky! Toner is great and BP 2.5% is great too (if it works for you) But, when do you give up one for the other? Do you alternate? I have been told time and time again that toner works well to reduce pore size. If clogged pores causes acne (amongst other things) then why do we not simply just use pore minimizing cleanser, toner, and moisturizer to rid ourselves of this once and for all?

Let me know your thoughts. I'm really curious as to what everyone thinks. Thanks

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 08/17/2013 6:07 pm

If clogged pores causes acne (amongst other things) then why do we not simply just use pore minimizing cleanser, toner, and moisturizer to rid ourselves of this once and for all?

'Pore size' is genetic - like the colour of your eyes. The only way toner might appear to reduce pores is because most toners contain alcohol and/or other drying agents which dry the skin out and superficially tighten it - this isnt a good thing, and once your skin adjusts to the harshness it loses that effect.

Toners dont really have any positive contributions - some say they remove excess makeup that your cleanser didnt pick up - i say get a new cleanser because clearly it isnt doing its job.

I'm on the acne org regimen and for it it improves my skin from all corners - the cleanser removes excess oil and makeup, the treatment reduces acne causing bacteria ultimately clearing your skin, and the AHA lotion reduces scarring and hyperpigmentation, and improves overall skin tone. There is no place for a toner in my regimen, i dont need one.

I feel like toners are just a beauty industry thing, they tell us to "Cleanse, Tone and Moisturize!!!" but its just a pointless extra step to squeeze money out of us.

MemberMember
(@tleeannes)

Posted : 08/17/2013 6:17 pm

If clogged pores causes acne (amongst other things) then why do we not simply just use pore minimizing cleanser, toner, and moisturizer to rid ourselves of this once and for all?

'Pore size' is genetic - like the colour of your eyes. The only way toner might appear to reduce pores is because most toners contain alcohol and/or other drying agents which dry the skin out and superficially tighten it - this isnt a good thing, and once your skin adjusts to the harshness it loses that effect.

Toners dont really have any positive contributions - some say they remove excess makeup that your cleanser didnt pick up - i say get a new cleanser because clearly it isnt doing its job.

I'm on the acne org regimen and for it it improves my skin from all corners - the cleanser removes excess oil and makeup, the treatment reduces acne causing bacteria ultimately clearing your skin, and the AHA lotion reduces scarring and hyperpigmentation, and improves overall skin tone. There is no place for a toner in my regimen, i dont need one.

I feel like toners are just a beauty industry thing, they tell us to "Cleanse, Tone and Moisturize!!!" but its just a pointless extra step to squeeze money out of us.

I have used BP 2.5% from the acne.org website for the last 5 years. I've tried the regimen. I liked it. But it doesn't work for me. The cleanser doesn't remove all of my makeup in 8-10s and I do look for a toner to do the rest. After getting laser treatment on my skin, I can no longer use BP 2.5%. It's too harsh. I use a toner with a tea tree oil and my skin looks better today than it ever has. I appreciate your insight though. Thank you for your comment 🙂 I didn't know that pore size was genetic. I guess all that "pore minimizing" stuff is a joke. I was just curious so that's good to know

MemberMember
(@yourstrulyashleigh)

Posted : 08/17/2013 6:29 pm

Have you ever tried Tazorac?