Notifications
Clear all

I Need Some Juicing Advice

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 08/13/2013 1:53 am

Hi guys,

I've been getting into juicing a lot more lately since kale became available at the store (I've always just used silverbeet as I live in Aus and greens seem quite limited).

Anyway,

I'm having trouble actually juicing greens. I'm under the impression they can be juicing to a smooth texture?

I have two "blenders", one has very, very fine blades, this does a great job at juicing, however with the greens it just chops them up and no juice actually comes out the other side. Today I got out my old blender and although it blended them quite well I felt it near impossible to "drink" because even though the chunks were not huge, the texture put me off to the point I couldn't consume so without wanting to be sick -_-

It's not the flavor I'm concerned about, my body is just saying a big no to the texture. So that all sucks. How do people here blend them? Are the leafy greens still so chunky they won't even go up a straw? Maybe I'm blending too much under the wrong impression I need to use a whole thing of silver beet or and a whole thing of kale to getting any benefits?

At the moment I've mostly been juicing either orange, grapefruit, apple, banana, cucumber, celery, carrot, lemon, watermelon, different types of berries..etc really just anything (not all at once). I also drink fresh coconut milk from coconuts everyday and also drink freshly made lemon water. I really love using berries because of the flavor, just so annoyed that the greens won't juice to a consistency my body will let me consume calmly :/

Also I know a lot of people think eating so much fruit is bad but I'm not on any 'special' diet, I don't truly need to be too concerned with my sugar intake (not diabetic nor do I consume any processed sugars). I'm not over weight at all (also I intake cinnamon with most meals), I eat mostly chicken and fish for meats, sweet potato, lots of veggies, organic eggs, steel cut oats, no milk other dairy, no bread, etc etc so my diet at the moment is just the healthy foods I enjoy. All my life I have consumed food this way, the acne never altered with my strict diet changes I made over the course of 3 years so no red alarm to stick to it, nor so I have any sensitivities or allergies so yeah I'm juicing more just for health benefits all round rather my hormonal acne. For now I think magnesium, vitamin D and zinc has reduced my acne to a bearable minimum, that or the fact I haven't bothered to worry about it for about a year haha.

so yeah if anyone can help me out on juicing greens that would be really cool,

I realize that it might be an appliance issue, but I don't exactly have the hundreds to spend on a state of the art blending device annoyingly.

I'm wondering also if juicing about 2 drinks a day is a good amount to truly embrace the nutrients from juicing?

sorry for the ramble!

Thanks everyone :)

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 08/13/2013 2:42 am

look into juicing book website

(@LewisS)

Posted : 08/13/2013 4:24 am

Are you using a blender or a juicer? A blender will just chop the veggies up (unless you add water) and make a really thick smoothie (which is what I did and I had to stop because it made me feel ill). I'm looking to buy a proper juicer.