Notifications
Clear all

Is This Cleanser Safe?

MemberMember
(@thetrueprint)

Posted : 08/11/2013 11:45 am

I exfoliate 2-3 times a week with St. Ives Apricot Scrub and it works great. I was looking for a cleanser to use and liked Neutrogena Visibly Even foam cleanser, but it menations that it does to some exfoliating, and it has little beads in it but they aren't very noticeable, so I'm not sure if it's safe to use every day (I know exfoliating every day is bad,) especially when I'm using a major exfoliator like St. Ives.

Also it has Glycolic Acid which I read you're not supposed to be in the sun after you use it because it can cause damage. I use an SPF 30 moisturiser when I'm gonna be outside, but I still don't know if I'll be 100% safe after using this.

I really like the idea of this cleanser as I feel it will give me an extra push towards a clear complexion and keeping dead skin away (I've NEVER exfoliated before so I have a lot built up) but if it's gonna potentially do more harm than good, I'll get a different cleanser and use St. Ives 3-4 times a week as directed.

Any help is greatly appreciated. And if I should stop using the Neutrogena cleanser, can anyone recommend a good one? Preferbly non-comdogenic. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/11/2013 12:07 pm

Hey there! I personally have had really bad experiences with Neutrogena. It always seemed to work for a tidbit and then suddenly my face ended up in worse condition than it was before I started using any of their products. If you look up reviews on their acne fighting products on websites (such as makeupalley.com or acne.org) you will find there are more negative comments than positive. Also, you are correct. Exfoliating everyday is very harsh for your skin. Even if you have never really exfoliated and have some build up, it's much better to do the minimum and have it take some extra time to get rid of the dead cells. Glycolic acid is a very harsh chemical and when using it you should avoid prolonged periods of sun exposure, and wear a sunscreen even if you're indoors. Using exfoliating beads to scrape of skin is very harsh and abrasive for your skin, which in the end will cause more bad than good. I think you should stick to using the St.Ives scrub. Once you start a product, it is important to stick it out and see if it makes a difference without changing up your regimen. Usually this process will take 1-2 months. After that, if you don't get the results you want you can ditch the product and start something new!

If you are dead set on exfoliating (which is important, but only good in moderation), I would recommend using the St. Ives twice a week and use an organic method to exfoliate twice a week. For example you can use my favorite all natural exfoliant: 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp honey, and 2-3 tsp salt. Gently rub this onto your face, let sit for 5-10 minutes (I would start with 5 and work my way up to 10), then rinse off. This method can make your skin somewhat photosensitive, so make sure you continue using your SPF! Hope this helps! :)

MemberMember
(@thetrueprint)

Posted : 08/11/2013 12:25 pm

Thanks for your reply, it's very helpful. I will continue to use St. Ives twice a week. However I'm still in need of a cleanser. After the info you gave, I definitely don't feel comfortable using that particular Neutrogena product since I'm in the sun a lot. Can you recommend a good non-comdogenic cleanser that isn't very harsh? I was looking at a Clean & Clear cleanser, although it has some beads but doesn't say anything about exfoliation. Any help would be great.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/11/2013 12:46 pm

thetrueprint, since you are already using a grainy exfoliater, it's probably not a good idea to buy a cleanser with beads in it. If you over exfoliate your skin, you can damage the barrier that protects your skin from harsh weather and other conditions. A good cheap cleanser is the Aveeno clear complexion foaming cleanser. It has soy and other extracts to help even out your skin tone and it has a small amount of salicylic acid to clear any acne without irritating your skin.

MemberMember
(@thetrueprint)

Posted : 08/11/2013 12:52 pm

It's been a long time since I have followed a skin care regimen or consistently used a product, but I think I remember using salicylic acid would irritate my skin a bit. I will stay away from cleansers with any types of beads. Do you think a cleanser from Cetaphil would be a good choice?

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/11/2013 1:00 pm

It's been a long time since I have followed a skin care regimen or consistently used a product, but I think I remember using salicylic acid would irritate my skin a bit. I will stay away from cleansers with any types of beads. Do you think a cleanser from Cetaphil would be a good choice?

It really depends what you are trying to do for your skin. What are you trying to fix with your skin? You should pick a cleanser that is fitted to your needs.

MemberMember
(@thetrueprint)

Posted : 08/11/2013 1:39 pm

I just want to keep my skin clean. I only get occasional breakouts, but I don't do ANYTHING with my face, so I'm thinking if I start a good routine going they will be even less frequent. As I said also, I've never exfoliated and all the build up makes my skin look very dull. I like the St. Ives Apricot Scrub so I'm gonna stick with that, and I use a moisturiser from Aveeno after that I really like, so now it's just down to finding a cleanser.

Now that I think about it though, I would like to get a cleanser that can help even my skin tone and such, that way I have something I'm using daily in addition to the St. Ives twice a week for maximum effect. But I don't want anything like the Neutrogena product I described that has glycolic acid or anything else that will be dangerous going out in the sun. Something I can use twice a day to make sure my face is always clean as well.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/11/2013 3:52 pm

Hmmm. I use a face wash called la roche posay effaclar purifying foaming gel. It contains no salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or benzoyl peroxide. It's a clear gel that 'eliminates impurities and excess sebum' by balancing out the PH level of your skin so it isnt oily or dry. You might want to try that, since I have sensitive skin and it isn't drying or irritating and has to bp or acid in it.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/11/2013 5:57 pm

Thanks for your reply, it's very helpful. I will continue to use St. Ives twice a week. However I'm still in need of a cleanser. After the info you gave, I definitely don't feel comfortable using that particular Neutrogena product since I'm in the sun a lot. Can you recommend a good non-comdogenic cleanser that isn't very harsh? I was looking at a Clean & Clear cleanser, although it has some beads but doesn't say anything about exfoliation. Any help would be great.

A good cleanser that I can recommend is La Roche Posay Effaclar. It's actually the cleanser I use. It contains no chemical ingredients, and the PH balance is 5.5 so it's not too acidic, which makes it less likely to irritate your skin. I have super sensitive sin and this cleanser has never bothered me. It's somewhat pricey at 20$ for a 6 oz tube, but I have been washing my twice a day for 3 1/2 months and I still have an ample amount left. So, you are definitely getting the amount and quality of a product that you're paying for. All you need is less than a dime sized amount to clean your whole face because it lathers nicely and creates a foaminess that makes it easy to spread along your skin. I usually leave it sitting on my face for a minute before rinsing to get the best benefits from the cleaning agents. Make sure that you use a moisturizer after washing with this cleanser because I noticed when I didn't, it left my face feeling tight and uncomfortable. Otherwise it's a fantastic face wash!

MemberMember
(@thetrueprint)

Posted : 08/14/2013 6:20 pm

I thought I'd specify about this a bit more since I really would like to use it and I want everything to be understood. (I'm definitely in need of 'specialty' products since I have an uneven tone, blotchiness, flaky skin.)

The cleanser I really like the sound of is as I mentioned, Neutrogena Visibly Even, which does specify that it GENTLY exfoliates. The beads are VERY small, you almost don't even notice them. It specifies that it helps refine texture for a more even-toned and radiant complexion, which I'm in desperate need of. The reviews are fantastic.

As for my concern about it containing glycolic acid which isn't good to be in the sun after use, I'm wondering if it really is a big concern because people usually associate this with harsh treatments they get done by a dermatologist. I'm wondering if the small amount found over-the-counter products are really that detrimental. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I'll be using the Neutrogena Visibly Even moisturizer with SPF 30, so that also makes me wonder if this should alleviate my worries of this issue.

After taking all of that into consideration, would this still be a negative product?

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/14/2013 6:53 pm

I thought I'd specify about this a bit more since I really would like to use it and I want everything to be understood. (I'm definitely in need of 'specialty' products since I have an uneven tone, blotchiness, flaky skin.)

The cleanser I really like the sound of is as I mentioned, Neutrogena Visibly Even, which does specify that it GENTLY exfoliates. The beads are VERY small, you almost don't even notice them. It specifies that it helps refine texture for a more even-toned and radiant complexion, which I'm in desperate need of. The reviews are fantastic.

As for my concern about it containing glycolic acid which isn't good to be in the sun after use, I'm wondering if it really is a big concern because people usually associate this with harsh treatments they get done by a dermatologist. I'm wondering if the small amount found over-the-counter products are really that detrimental. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I'll be using the Neutrogena Visibly Even moisturizer with SPF 30, so that also makes me wonder if this should alleviate my worries of this issue.

After taking all of that into consideration, would this still be a negative product?

Over the counter products generally don't have enough of any type of product in them (like the glycolic acid) to really make a big difference in your skin. For example, many people with moderate acne don't get relief from their acne by using over the counter products. But people with mild acne do, it's because the product has such a small amount of medicine that it helps, but not in a big way. So, there probably isn't enough glycolic acid in the neutrogena wash to irritate your skin on a certain level. It would be wise to use a sun screen though, especially when using those types of products.

MemberMember
(@thetrueprint)

Posted : 08/14/2013 6:58 pm

I'm not really worried about it irritating my skin, I'm worried about being in the sun after using it, as it's specified that sun exposure isn't good. But as you stated the product probably doesn't have a high percentage so I'm trying to find out if I'll be safe. I'll be using a moisturizer with SPF 30.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/14/2013 7:31 pm

I'm not really worried about it irritating my skin, I'm worried about being in the sun after using it, as it's specified that sun exposure isn't good. But as you stated the product probably doesn't have a high percentage so I'm trying to find out if I'll be safe. I'll be using a moisturizer with SPF 30.

With most acne products, sun exposure has negative effects. If you use salicylic acid and go in the sun with no sunscreen, you are more likely to burn. For the product you are using, sun exposure probably has similar effects to the salicylic acid. Also, sun exposure can lead to darkening of hyperpigmentation and if you're in the sun for a while you could get a tan. Tanning is the result of dead skin cells stayed piled on one another, but dead skin can also lead to dullness (which you are trying to get rid off.) My recommendation would be stay out of the sun, and if you have to, make sure to use a good sunscreen and reapply it. That way, you won't be undoing any of the positive results you will get from using the neutrogena visibly even cleanser.

MemberMember
(@thetrueprint)

Posted : 08/15/2013 2:38 am

Neutrogena also makes a simple 'Pore Refining Cleanser' which is a liquid and doesn't mention exfoliation at all. Would the liquid cleanser cause me any issues? It doesn't say anything about exfoliation. It does contain glycolic acid, but I think just about anything that claims to do what this does will contain that. As long as I'm using a moisturizer with SPF I think I'll be safe (at least I hope.)

I was hoping to use the exfoliating cleasner, I figured since it stated it was gentle enough for every day use and would aid in keeping my skin radiant. The reviews were really tempting, but I think I'll stick to being safe just in case.