Notifications
Clear all

Clindamycin Phosphate Lotion After Bp

MemberMember
(@zachlooter)

Posted : 08/10/2013 10:20 am

So, I was prescribed a clindamycin phosphate lotion about a month ago. I always used it after washing my face with a neutrogena salicyclic acid wash(like the power clear scrub). It got better, but still hasn't cleared up. Just a few days ago, I switched to Benzoyl Peroxide(the cleanser). However, I stopped putting on the clindamycin phosphate lotion because I'm scared mixing the two together. Would it be good to use that BP cleanser and then put on the lotion? Also, what I'm currently doing is using that cleanser then wiping my face with SA treatment pads(by Neutrogena). How does that sound? Any other combinations?

Btw, I have mild .

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 08/10/2013 10:32 am

Quite a few prescriptions actually combine BP and clindamycin phosphate (like Acanya and Benzaclin).

I'm not sure how effective a BP wash would be though. I'd look up reviews if you haven't already. :)

MemberMember
(@zachlooter)

Posted : 08/10/2013 10:51 am

Thanks! The reviews on this BP cleanser were good :). So would using a BP cleanser and then applying the lotion basically be mimicking the prescriptions that combine them (like duac)?

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 08/10/2013 1:15 pm

Yup, I would think so. You really just have to try it out and see. Of course, if it gets too irritating, you can always try other, more gentler BP products and see how that goes. You should call your derm and see what they think. :)

MemberMember
(@zachlooter)

Posted : 08/10/2013 9:45 pm

The weird thing is my skin never EVER gets dry or flaky anymore. It used to quite a bit when I used proactive or any salicyclic acid wash. The thing that cured my dryness seemed to be the clindamycin lotion which is weird. Now no matter what i put on my face, even BP, my face doesn't get dry even if I don't put Clindamycin lotion on.

Is this normal?

MemberMember
(@zachlooter)

Posted : 08/11/2013 9:05 am

OmG. I applied those two things last night and this morning my acne looked worse than ever! Seriously, I feel like it went from mild to moderate acne in just one night. What should I Do!!!!!

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 08/11/2013 10:09 am

It might have been a little too irritating. Did you try the SA pads as well? 'Cause I've read that using both BP and SA can be too irritating. I would just use the lotion for now until your skin calms down. In the meantime, relax and maybe try the ZIIT method to reduce the inflammation (take some zinc & ibuprofren, apply ice gently). I'm going through a horrible breakout right now too, so I know how you feel.

Everyone's skin is different so it's hard to determine what regimen might be right for you. Some people have success with more gentler methods like topical zinc, niacinamide, sulfur, green tea (the list goes on and on..). Maybe just try a gentle cleanser (like cetaphil) and your lotion and see how that goes for a while.