Notifications
Clear all

I'd Like To Offer Free Shipping. Kinda Complex. Need Your Input Please.

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 06/28/2013 5:23 pm

Over the years, I've heard hundreds of times how expensive our shipping prices are. I can't help but agree. They do seem high.

Lately, we've been workin on a new, improved shopping cart--which will be awesome by the way--but it got me to thinking...maybe we can offer free shipping. It won't be easy, but I have an idea I wanted to run by you guys and see what you think. First, a little background...

Why the shipping & handling prices seem high now: I always err on the side of straightforwardness and transparency whenever possible. So when I started selling products back in 2003, I figured I would charge as little as I could for the products themselves and then charge exactly what I pay for shipping & handling to the penny. This is what we've always done. However, this ends up making our shipping prices look high compared with other online retailers because almost every other online store wraps the price of shipping & handling into the price of their products. They then offer "free" or "discounted" shipping & handling. The plain reality of the situation is that they are still charging for shipping & handling, but just put that price into the products. Doing it this way didn't seem totally honest to me so I decided to charge exactly what I pay for shipping & handling. But quite honestly, when I personally buy stuff online, even I only really like to order stuff when there is free or discounted shipping, and I don't really care if they're wrapping it into the cost of the products. I know this way of thinking is not necessarily rational, but that's how I end up feeling, and I think a lot of you feel that way too.

What I'm thinking about doing (please weigh in with your input): It's been 10 years now that I've been selling products, and I have never once raised prices. As far as normal business practice goes, this is of course not normal, and I have some friends who also own businesses who have been yelling at me for years to incrementally raise prices. I tell them I don't want to raise prices unless I absolutely have to because my main goal is to get huge products into the hands of acne sufferers at the cheapest possible price so they can use as much as they need to get clear on The Regimen. However, I can't offer free shipping and keep the prices of our products the same that they are now. There's just no way I could continue selling products like that. So here's my idea (with accompanying numbers so you have the full story):

[The average cost of shipping and handling comes to about 25% of the cost of an order on average.]

1. I raise all product prices 15%. For instance, the 8oz. Regimen Kit would now cost $44.21

2. Shipping becomes free for all orders over $40 inside the U.S. This means the 8oz. Regimen Kit would ship for exactly $44.21

3. International shipments over $40 get a substantial discount (20% of the cost of products ordered, for an overall discount of 5%)

4. All orders inside the U.S. under $40 get a discounted shipping & handling rate of $5.75 and all orders under 1lb. get a discounted rate of $2.50

5. Faster shipping methods inside the U.S. like 2nd day or overnight get a substantial discount (20% off the cost of the products ordered, for an overall discount of 5%)

Bottom line: I have run a bunch of example orders, and even with product prices going up 15%, one hundred percent of all orders will be less expensive this way. I can afford to do this because even though I've never raised prices, you guys have ordered more and more over the years so my costs have gone down a bit. I am confident that the company can absorb a small discount on all orders.

What do you think?

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 06/28/2013 6:42 pm

As an online seller I get what you mean exactly with the combined shipping in the price to offer a "shipping discount" or what would seem to be to the consumer.

You're pricing system does seem a little complex, but I don't think anyone can complain with 100% of people getting some sort of discount!

Sounds like a good idea to me!

MemberMember
(@theonethatgotaway)

Posted : 06/28/2013 11:35 pm

Or maybe you can offer seasonal discounts, like some stores do but still charge for tax and duty and handling. Like AE currently has 40% off on all their items and free shipping. I know 40% is too much, so you might not like that idea.

OR free shipping for orders above $40 for those who live outside USA. :)

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 06/29/2013 12:27 am

Sounds pretty good to me too. Any sort of discount on orders, especially international orders, would be fantastic I think! I plan to start the regimen soon and will have to use store bought products as I can't afford the shipping to Australia at the moment. I'd love to be able to use your BP though :)

Do you know then, roughly, what an order would cost going to Australia?

(@LewisS)

Posted : 06/29/2013 6:15 am

It is definitely the price that stops me using the regimen and offering a reduced price would be fantastic. It's not even the price of the products themselves for me, it's after everything has been added, like shipping and other costs. The only wait I can avoid them is by ordering each item separately, which just isn't convenient. I'd really like to get the full kit and do the full regimen properly.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/29/2013 9:26 am

I say if the price can be reduced for everybody, especially for international regimen users, then that is great. I'm glad that you guys are really looking into this. I really do believe that Acne.org products should be available to those who are interested to try it. Nice work! :)

Lilly75 liked
MemberMember
(@gteen)

Posted : 06/29/2013 10:49 am

well, if it would seem there is no drawback, DO IT!!!

I have so much trouble finding a moisturiser in ireland I have to pay about 30 euro for the one here.

MemberMember
(@manticore)

Posted : 06/30/2013 4:11 pm

How will shipping costs change for international orders of less than $40?

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 07/01/2013 10:47 am

I should have said all international orders, not just those over $40, will receive a 20% discount (based on cost of products ordered).

MemberMember
(@manticore)

Posted : 07/01/2013 11:04 am

I should have said all international orders, not just those over $40, will receive a 20% discount (based on cost of products ordered).

That sounds good.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 07/02/2013 3:08 pm

Will this include those on amazon?

MemberMember
(@andreyvlktn)

Posted : 07/03/2013 10:26 am

Looks good. For international shipments whole deal will be 5% cheaper - this is good. Free shipping/discount will stimulate purchases. But for international orders more shipping options would be also good - the more, the better, because more options could provide better shipping prices. Though there are already some choices (UPS Worldwide Saver is my favorite).

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 07/04/2013 12:01 pm

I'm not sure about this. Amazon takes 15% of every order which is already a stretch. I'll see what we can do on Amazon as well, but not sure.

MemberMember
(@fabianl)

Posted : 07/04/2013 6:53 pm

<deleted>

MemberMember
(@real-maverick)

Posted : 07/04/2013 7:05 pm

As far as I'm concerned as long as the final price I pay doesn't change, it's all good. The overall cost does not have to be lower for this to work.

I have no doubts that the cost of shipping puts many people off and I understand why. This move will result in more people trying The Regimen and more peoples lives being changed for the better and thats what matters.

you should just sell the products for the price they cost you and add a litte something to pay for this website and some other expenses

MemberMember
(@fabianl)

Posted : 07/04/2013 8:11 pm

<deleted>

MemberMember
(@real-maverick)

Posted : 07/04/2013 9:27 pm

I know and I have said that this is a business, no misunderstanding. But as for being "extremely" dedicated...I have my doubts, seeing how many forums have disappeared, many formerly pinned and useful topics have disappeared, etc. It's a business, I understand, but don't give me this bullcrap.

That's your opinion, but you're dead wrong.

As the webmaster here, I receive emails daily from companies offering ridiculous amounts of money to advertise on acne.org but Dan will not accept advertising. We've just finished working on a new feature in the reviews section, that suggests places to buy the product. The API's we used are setup so that we'd earn commission from the clicks, but Dan was head strong that he didn't want to profit from the links and so all affiliate ID's were removed.

Dan's ethics are incredible.

MemberMember
(@fabianl)

Posted : 07/04/2013 10:26 pm

<deleted>

MemberMember
(@manticore)

Posted : 07/05/2013 1:05 pm

I'm not sure about this. Amazon takes 15% of every order which is already a stretch. I'll see what we can do on Amazon as well, but not sure.

...and yet UK users are more likely to use Amazon because of the lower shipping charges!

For example:-

shipping for 8oz treatment = $16.45 on acne.org, but only $11.68 on Amazon.

shipping for 16oz treatment = $22 on acne.org, but only $15.35 on Amazon.

shipping for 6oz AHA+ = $14.30 on acne.org, but only $10.63 on Amazon.

That's why my last few orders have been through Amazon.

MemberMember
(@tex67sun)

Posted : 07/11/2013 2:07 pm

If you raise the prices on your website but have cheaper shipping, as an online shopper I would probably still find Amazon and order from there since their base price would be the cheaper price.

However, I do not even use your products, Dan, and I admire how you run your business. I love the community here and have gained a lot of ideas from it. I've used products before where the formula has been changed without even notifying it's users and many times it is a change that would have been voted against and they end up losing a lot of customers because of it. A decision like this fits into that category for me and I think it is so cool to discuss this and get feedback with your customers.

With all that said, if I were to purchase your products I would purchase from YOUR site so that all my money goes to YOUR company and not some of it to Amazon (which is not going to fully benefit the product that I am purchasing). The loyal people out there will pay a little more for those ethics of yours and your company, I think. At least in the US since we are not faced with crazy shipping. The international people will have to do what they need to do. At least the products are available to them. Some companies do not ship internationally at all.

And for FabianL. Why are you here? You don't use his products and while you had an opinion on the shipping, now you are going to put down their business (and it does not seem you completely understand how business and profit works) and their products? Just because you don't understand how they work doesn't mean that they don't work (which as a scientist I guess the opposite is bred into you)! It has obviously worked for many people and that is all the proof you should need to at least act respectful to people offering products that worked for them. If you are a scientist, why don't you spend more time finding a sure fire way to rid millions of people from acne, instead of putting someone else's ideas down that HAVE rid people of their acne. How many people have YOU helped? If you have a regimen of your own, maybe you should start your own website and forums sharing your ideas? I have read your threads and what do you know? This has happened before! You are the basis for a lot of negativity and off topic bickering that is there. While the thread may have been heated before, you just come in and take it WAY too far. I hope you mean what you told your friend AKL about trying to be kinder in your words. But if you cannot get past the fact that you are SO against Dan's Regimen and how they advertise their products, and still post decent things on THEIR site then the problem is not anyone else's but your own. They are sitting here trying to tell you their intentions and you refuse to believe anything other than what YOU think. Not their problem; it is yours. Tons of people on here do NOT use the Regimen and do NOT act like you are. As for the lousy business plan you think they have, you should take some classes in business or stick to your science. They are obviously doing just fine!

I am sorry, I just could not leave that alone. I understand this is a place to discuss and share opinions, but have some decency! I have had acne and ugly skin for 10 years and I certainly do not appreciate scrolling through a thread and finding off topic indecency like you have shown here. We are all here for the same reason!

MemberMember
(@fabianl)

Posted : 07/11/2013 6:52 pm

<deleted>

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 07/11/2013 8:23 pm

If I knew what causes acne and if I had a solution then I would share it with you. The truth is that we do not know yet, there are too many variables. But I do promise you that if we find something that will eliminate acne in all people, we will let you know. For free.

I can only assume that you're a scientist working in a university (please correct me if I'm wrong). Research conducted in universities is invaluable in my opinion, however I feel like you are giving the impression that you are doing your work for free. Your research relies on funding - govt grants, private donations etc and I'm assuming you also draw an income for your time dedicated to your research. Is that not right? So if you were to find something that would eliminate acne in all people and share your knowledge for 'free' that isn't quite a true statement is it because your research (and salary) has been funded through taxes and research donations.

And please don't take my statement as a representative of acne.org because I am just a member here like everyone else. To use your analogy, I'm also just trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.

MemberMember
(@tex67sun)

Posted : 07/11/2013 9:02 pm

It is really the comments like you doubt their dedication to their work. Who criticizes other people's dedication? Just because they are not doing what YOU would do doesn't mean they are not working really hard at what they ARE doing and doing a good job. I think they are pretty dedicated as to put up with this kind of stuff and try and accomodate their customers by including them on decisions like this. You are never going to please everyone.

MemberMember
(@manticore)

Posted : 07/12/2013 8:54 am

If you raise the prices on your website but have cheaper shipping, as an online shopper I would probably still find Amazon and order from there since their base price would be the cheaper price...

...With all that said, if I were to purchase your products I would purchase from YOUR site so that all my money goes to YOUR company and not some of it to Amazon (which is not going to fully benefit the product that I am purchasing)...

Haven't you just contradicted yourself?

Is there a reason why shipping charges are cheaper on Amazon? Considering that you don't make as much profit, I would have thought that you would at least make them the same as acne.org shipping.

Does Amazon put a cap on shipping charges?

MemberMember
(@tex67sun)

Posted : 07/12/2013 12:21 pm

Haven't you just contradicted yourself?

Not directly or intentionally, lol. You cut out the most important part of my quote! Words like "however", the entire 2nd paragraph, and "with all that said" states that knowing what I know now I would like to purchase directly from the company instead of through Amazon. My first paragraph was intended for the "first glance" GENERAL online shopper simply basing their purchase on price without any kind of bias. I would think most people would naturally go for where the product is listed cheaper, yeah? However, I would just order from the site. Does that make sense?