Notifications
Clear all

Do You Guys Ever Feel Lonely Or Out Of Place Becuase Of Your Diet Or Lifestyle?

MemberMember
(@ribbonettes)

Posted : 06/27/2013 4:29 am

I think I am breaking down emotionally. When I come on here it's a whole different world.. everyone is concerned about their health and is making wonderful lifestyle & diet changes.. but in the real world.. or at least the people around me it's the complete opposite.

They don't really care much to know what junk they are putting into their body.. they go out.. they drink.. party the whole night long and pop pills. Nothing happens to their skin. It's 100% perfect. And here I am, at home, doing more research like always, not drinking.. I stress out from work and get 1 zit on my forehead .__.

but anyways, that's not the point. The point is I'm starting to hate life even though I'm happy with the way my skin looks. Almost everyone my age that I talk to I have nothing in common with. Most of them drink, smoke, or just want to have sex. I just got out of a bad relationship a few months ago and I'm so glad.. but ehh. I am going to be so excited when I finally move away and go to a different state next year.

I had some discussions with people/friends about gmo food. They don't even believe gmo food is bad at all. And they call me ignorant for being against Monsanto.. they claim that their bioengineering is valuable neutral.gif And when I tell them about my paleo diet, they think I'm crazy. I like eating & living this way though.

I just feel extremely irritated. Like I want to avoid all people and just disappear. So sick of having to explain to everyone why I eat the way I do and have them judge me or put me down because I don't want to drink alcohol or stay out late with them. Does anyone ever feel this way? Do you have trouble finding people irl you can relate to?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/27/2013 4:58 am

it happens to most of us.

am not sure if that makes u feel any better.

but then u see, at times i allow myself to feel good that with all the ignorance and lack of control in others,i am the one doing the right thing.

i may not be "with" them in the crowd but i'm atleast not against myself !

feeling good about urself is important darling and i request u to train ur mind.

seek help here or from whoever u want to - to make u see through things.

i have a feeling the break up is playing a role here in ur thinking negatively.

but i think it will pass for good.

i suggest u try meditation and can share anything u want to here via posts or PM.

we(I am ) are always up for u.=)

also,i 'd suggest meditation.i've just started taking that way yesterday(along with things i did previously).

let me know if u wanna join for some peace of mind,

=)

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/27/2013 10:02 am

While i was reading your post i actually relived moments of my life which happen like everyday when i'm in my college and hostel.Being fastidious about your diet and lifestyle may reap benefits but it's an eyebrow raiser for sure.Your life is not in sync with your friends and hence they think you're trying to act smart or want to be different when in reality you're desperately trying to calm down your skin with the food YOU think is good.You get pooh poohed... And that is heart rending.

I'm distraught that others can eat anything,drink,smoke,take drugs,have an erratic sleep-wake schedule and YET they have immaculate skin.And then there is me.Finicky Joshua they call me.I conscientiously follow a good lifestyle just because i want good skin.And EVEN THEN i face the wrath of my sebaceous glands.Oil trickles down my face like the Niagara falls.

Acne.org does peps up my mood.I just love being here.I feel so happy talking to like minded people who share the same woes and grievances like me .But unfortunately there is a REAL world out there waiting for you.Waiting to pounce at you ,waiting to obliterate your faith in the goodness of humanity by their snide remarks and callous behavior.

My college is soon going to begin and i will have to leave my home and parents to live with my friends in an apartment.I feel gloomy the whole day.I just don't want to go back to that pathetic college life.I don't want to face the indifference ,i'd rather go to the gallows.I feel like crying sometimes but then i remind myself that i'm a 21 year old boy and that i'm not supposed to be a cry baby.Feelings build up in me continuously and there's nobody to listen to me.I live alone with my mother (My father is living in another city).I cannot tell my problems to my mother,she'll be distressed.I love her.I want to see her happy.I don't have siblings.I don't have a confidant.I have to be a MAN.I have to make my own way...

So you see you're not the only one tired of your life dear :)

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/27/2013 10:14 am

I used to be the exact same way. Paleo diet here too. If your friends are definitely bringing you down, it may just be time to find new friends. Not necessarily write the old ones off, but don't see them and hang around them as much. All my old friends were the same way as you describe yours - didn't care about health, eating right, drugs, drinking, etc. while I was the opposite. I eventually started to meet like-minded people at the gym and at Whole Foods and Trader Joes who cared about health and nutrition as much as I do. I know it can be tough, but just consciously try to not care what they think about you anyway. It took me a while to understand how to do that, but it worked wonders. Just focus on how good you feel because of the way you eat and your lifestyle choices, that's all that matters.

If you can get to where you're truly accepting of yourself and happy with the daily choices you're making, then the opinions of others won't really matter much anymore. In their defense, most people simply don't know a lot of the things that more health-conscious people know. They don't have the facts. And it is definitely frustrating to see those same people who happen to have perfect skin, but there's really nothing anyone can do about that. They've been blessed in a sense. But keep in mind they may feel horrible and sad on the inside without ever really showing it.

MemberMember
(@leofernandez)

Posted : 06/27/2013 10:51 am

Same can be applied to me, but maybe you need too look at the bigger picture, or the long term of their health. As for the peer pressure, just avoid those people who arn't valuable in your life. I have quite a few muslim friends who dont smoke/drink, yet in high school they are constantly surrounded by all these things and manage to do a good job keeping away.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 06/27/2013 2:20 pm

There will be people who are interested in just about whatever you are interested in. You just need to find different friends. You don't necessarily have to share the same lifestyle as your friends, but if you feel that out of place then you clearly aren't hanging around people who are on your level.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/27/2013 3:56 pm

My hint, justs use the "I am allergic to most grains" argument. For alcohol : "I am a bad drunk"

MemberMember
(@uncle-buck)

Posted : 06/29/2013 8:26 am

This topic breaks my heart. It's your life, be proud of your choices. If anybody knocks them, imagine what they're REALLY thinking. "Damn.. I wish I cared about my health.. but I'm cool because I'm just like everyone else right? Crap, I'm thinking too much, BETTER ACT COOL!". Or alternatively take my approach and don't give a fuck.

Lead by example, as long as you're making YOURSELF happy, you get the respect of real people who respect themselves. Forget the hipster crowd, seriously. It's a blessing to get away from that. Most people today live in a world where they high-five each other for being exploited, well done dickheads. If you WANT to drink and get smashed every night, do that. But I can tell you don't want to do that.

Outline the benefits to yourself, it's not just acne

You

1) Have more control than they do

2) More knowledge

3) A better perspective

4) Have an awesome forum right here supporting you

What if you had super powers? Would you feel bad for using them? I think it would be pretty damn awesome.

In my own experience, I still hang out with my junk-eating, binge drinking friends but not as much. I respect peoples personalities and don't care about the other crap, people have the right to ignorance. I always state my stance but you can't convince anybody so I leave them to their ways. Strong health and strong habits have taken me to much higher places and I've met more people and done more cool things I ever dreamed of. Just hang in there and your "world" will slowly start looking different and you'll get the respect you deserve.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/29/2013 8:53 am

This topic breaks my heart. It's your life, be proud of your choices. If anybody knocks them, imagine what they're REALLY thinking. "Damn.. I wish I cared about my health.. but I'm cool because I'm just like everyone else right? Crap, I'm thinking too much, BETTER ACT COOL!". Or alternatively take my approach and don't give a fuck.

Lead by example, as long as you're making YOURSELF happy, you get the respect of real people who respect themselves. Forget the hipster crowd, seriously. It's a blessing to get away from that. Most people today live in a world where they high-five each other for being exploited, well done dickheads. If you WANT to drink and get smashed every night, do that. But I can tell you don't want to do that.

Outline the benefits to yourself, it's not just acne

You

1) Have more control than they do

2) More knowledge

3) A better perspective

4) Have an awesome forum right here supporting you

What if you had super powers? Would you feel bad for using them? I think it would be pretty damn awesome.

In my own experience, I still hang out with my junk-eating, binge drinking friends but not as much. I respect peoples personalities and don't care about the other crap, people have the right to ignorance. I always state my stance but you can't convince anybody so I leave them to their ways. Strong health and strong habits have taken me to much higher places and I've met more people and done more cool things I ever dreamed of. Just hang in there and your "world" will slowly start looking different and you'll get the respect you deserve.

Great post mate :)

MemberMember
(@dermarolling-girl)

Posted : 06/30/2013 9:45 am

I work in the fitness industry so when friends see me eating something unhealthy, they will point it out. I hate it because when they eat crap it's not a big deal but when I do they make a big deal out of it. But if I go out with them and order something really healthy, they also make a big deal out of that and make comments about me not eating enough. Either way, I never win. lol

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 07/01/2013 5:11 pm

While i was reading your post i actually relived moments of my life which happen like everyday when i'm in my college and hostel.Being fastidious about your diet and lifestyle may reap benefits but it's an eyebrow raiser for sure.Your life is not in sync with your friends and hence they think you're trying to act smart or want to be different when in reality you're desperately trying to calm down your skin with the food YOU think is good.You get pooh poohed... And that is heart rending.

I'm distraught that others can eat anything,drink,smoke,take drugs,have an erratic sleep-wake schedule and YET they have immaculate skin.And then there is me.Finicky Joshua they call me.I conscientiously follow a good lifestyle just because i want good skin.And EVEN THEN i face the wrath of my sebaceous glands.Oil trickles down my face like the Niagara falls.

Acne.org does peps up my mood.I just love being here.I feel so happy talking to like minded people who share the same woes and grievances like me .But unfortunately there is a REAL world out there waiting for you.Waiting to pounce at you ,waiting to obliterate your faith in the goodness of humanity by their snide remarks and callous behavior.

My college is soon going to begin and i will have to leave my home and parents to live with my friends in an apartment.I feel gloomy the whole day.I just don't want to go back to that pathetic college life.I don't want to face the indifference ,i'd rather go to the gallows.I feel like crying sometimes but then i remind myself that i'm a 21 year old boy and that i'm not supposed to be a cry baby.Feelings build up in me continuously and there's nobody to listen to me.I live alone with my mother (My father is living in another city).I cannot tell my problems to my mother,she'll be distressed.I love her.I want to see her happy.I don't have siblings.I don't have a confidant.I have to be a MAN.I have to make my own way...

So you see you're not the only one tired of your life dear smile.png

Most people just aren't acne prone beyond a certain age or never were to start with. Bad diet and acne do not go hand in hand with the general population (as I'm sure you know) as most people can have clear to normal skin and eat terrible diets.

Which only affirms that chronic acne has a strong genetic component as every Derm already knows and is not a disease precipitated by bad lifestyle as some people will argue on this site.

The genetics involved in acne:

- Producing 5-20 times the amount of excess sebum than normal

- Hyperkeratinization (inability for the pore to properly shed)

- A greater sensitivity to Androgens which over stimulates the oil glands (even a regular amount)

Sadly most people do not carry these genetic tendencies which explains why the can abuse their bodies and eat like sh*t and not have a problem with acne.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/01/2013 5:20 pm

Most people just aren't acne prone beyond a certain age or never were to start with. Bad diet and acne do not go hand in hand with the general population (as I'm sure you know) as most people can have clear to normal skin and eat terrible diets.

Which only affirms that chronic acne has a strong genetic component as every Derm already knows and is not a disease precipitated by bad lifestyle as some people will argue on this site.

- Hyperkeritinization (inability for the pore to properly shed)

- A greater sensitivity to Androgens which over stimulates the oil glands (even a regular amount)

Sadly most people do not carry these genetic tendencies which explains why the can abuse their bodies and eat like sh*t and not have a problem with acne.

Well, looks like I was wrong about you. You are starting to learn. Keep it up. Here, let me help you. Put the statements I bolded closer together. Those are the valid ones.

Although, the androgen sensitivity and excess sebum don't apply to everyone. Excess sebum only aggravates acne.. It doesn't cause it. You can have dry skin and acne. And androgens role in acne is mostly about the sebum. Mostly. Hyperkeratinization is the real issue and other hormones and factors cause it (affected by diet, btw) And there many other ways we are genetically prone to acne.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 07/01/2013 5:59 pm

- Hyperkeritinization (inability for the pore to properly shed)

Well, looks like I was wrong about you. You are starting to learn. Keep it up. Here, let me help you. Put the statements I bolded closer together. Those are the valid ones.

Although, the androgen sensitivity and excess sebum don't apply to everyone. Excess sebum only aggravates acne.. It doesn't cause it. You can have dry skin and acne. And androgens role in acne is mostly about the sebum. Mostly. Hyperkeratinization is the real issue and other hormones and factors cause it (affected by diet, btw) And there many other ways we are genetically prone to acne.

You can't always solve the mystery of genetics. It's something that's pretty elusive even still in this current age.

MemberMember
(@wheatfree)

Posted : 07/03/2013 10:24 am

I work in the fitness industry so when friends see me eating something unhealthy, they will point it out. I hate it because when they eat crap it's not a big deal but when I do they make a big deal out of it. But if I go out with them and order something really healthy, they also make a big deal out of that and make comments about me not eating enough. Either way, I never win. lol

They suck! I don't work in fitness, but I make healthy choices most of the time and my coworkers do NOT so I have experienced some of the same. If I choose to make a less than healthy choice and get chastised for it, I just explain that I worked hard to be able to splurge on that treat. Or tell them that I need to eat healthy at that meal because I am planning a big splurge later. Most of my coworkers are just jealous that they are not as disciplined. Several have told me that I inspire them to make better choices.

You may be outgrowing your friends. I agree with others that you should branch out to find like minded people with similar values. Would you rally miss the party scene if you skipped it one weekend to see what else is out there? If so, ask yourself what you would miss. If the main thing you would miss is being part of the group then you can find a different group with healthier pursuits.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 07/03/2013 1:08 pm

My college started today.And my friends are eating fried chicken in front of me.I can't eat it.They keep questioning me why i don't eat it ...Well i can hardly explain.And i sometimes feel lonely :( .Nobody understands :(

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/03/2013 1:29 pm

My college started today.And my friends are eating fried chicken in front of me.I can't eat it.They keep questioning me why i don't eat it ...Well i can hardly explain.And i sometimes feel lonely sad.png .Nobody understands sad.png

no body understands.true.

not food in my case though.

just my mental state.

MemberMember
(@bigsnack)

Posted : 07/03/2013 2:42 pm

I used to feel excluded during the years where I was making changes / adjustments without successfully fixing my acne problem. That was when I felt like "what is the point of torturing myself?" Once I found what cleared my acne up completely, nothing could phase me anymore! The confidence I gained from not having zits on my face far outweighed any feelings of exclusion that I used to feel.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 07/04/2013 9:07 am

My college started today.And my friends are eating fried chicken in front of me.I can't eat it.They keep questioning me why i don't eat it ...Well i can hardly explain.And i sometimes feel lonely sad.png .Nobody understands sad.png

no body understands.true.

not food in my case though.

just my mental state.

Yeah,the food,the brine water in the taps which sabotages my skin,my mental state which sometimes becomes critical :(

MemberMember
(@ribbonettes)

Posted : 08/07/2013 10:10 am

it happens to most of us.

am not sure if that makes u feel any better.

but then u see, at times i allow myself to feel good that with all the ignorance and lack of control in others,i am the one doing the right thing.

i may not be "with" them in the crowd but i'm atleast not against myself !

feeling good about urself is important darling and i request u to train ur mind.

seek help here or from whoever u want to - to make u see through things.

i have a feeling the break up is playing a role here in ur thinking negatively.

but i think it will pass for good.

i suggest u try meditation and can share anything u want to here via posts or PM.

we(I am ) are always up for u.=)

also,i 'd suggest meditation.i've just started taking that way yesterday(along with things i did previously).

let me know if u wanna join for some peace of mind,

=)

Thankyou :] yahh I guess I should feel good that I am doing the right thing :]