Notifications
Clear all

Acne Getting Better And Worse On Accutane

MemberMember
(@tomasmoya)

Posted : 06/25/2013 10:53 pm

Hi i'm taking two 30mg pills of accutane a day, so i'm assuming that means i'm taking 60mg total. Anyways, I'm into month two of treatment and my results keep changing. When I first started my acne got horrible, but then by the end of the first month it started slowly getting better. Now it will be almost gone one week, and then come back with some whiteheads and big red pimples. It has been switching on and off the past few weeks. Is this normal? When can I expect it to just stop and the acne just goes away for good?

MemberMember
(@meheh)

Posted : 06/25/2013 11:26 pm

Could be in a couple of weeks, could be in a couple of months, unfortunately. Everyone clears differently on accutane. Some people just start clearing up right away, and some people still have cysts right up until the bitter end. It just depends how quickly everything gets "pushed" out of you skin by the drug.

MemberMember
(@tomasmoya)

Posted : 06/26/2013 10:35 pm

Okay cool thanks. It's so weird because this morning I woke up and had a patch of little pimples on my hand....it is so weird, i guess this drug is just that strong. Hopefully it completely goes away soon, it's just annoying that it gets better and worse.

MemberMember
(@meheh)

Posted : 06/26/2013 11:07 pm

Okay cool thanks. It's so weird because this morning I woke up and had a patch of little pimples on my hand....it is so weird, i guess this drug is just that strong. Hopefully it completely goes away soon, it's just annoying that it gets better and worse.

are you sure it's not a rash on your hand? i got some pretty funky rashes on accutane (basically everything my hands and arms came in contact with i got a rash from) and they looked like little zits.

MemberMember
(@scarface123)

Posted : 06/27/2013 6:44 pm

It doesn't help for everybody. For example, I'm ending my 5th month of the course and it seems that it didn't help me. I knew that when I was allready on the 3rd month but I continued with the treatment because the dermatologist said that it will clear up. Guess what? It didn't... And know she says that it will improve in 1 month. Yeah, right...

MemberMember
(@tomasmoya)

Posted : 06/27/2013 10:50 pm

are you sure it's not a rash on your hand? i got some pretty funky rashes on accutane (basically everything my hands and arms came in contact with i got a rash from) and they looked like little zits.

Yeah they are little rashes but i put aquaphor on them and they almost dissppear overnight! now i got a little rash on my arm but it's not bad. My face is getting pretty clear again. I'm hoping it just eventually all dries out and goes away. Minus the first month, I love this drug because it just makes me feel better about myself and once I am clear I will have so much more confidence.

It doesn't help for everybody. For example, I'm ending my 5th month of the course and it seems that it didn't help me. I knew that when I was allready on the 3rd month but I continued with the treatment because the dermatologist said that it will clear up. Guess what? It didn't... And know she says that it will improve in 1 month. Yeah, right...

Don't loose hope because mine is slowly getting better and better. Most people say that it completely goes away and it seems to be on that road for me. Just hang in there! It will get better

MemberMember
(@scarface123)

Posted : 06/28/2013 5:26 am

Don't loose hope because mine is slowly getting better and better. Most people say that it completely goes away and it seems to be on that road for me. Just hang in there! It will get better

Look, When I hit the 3rd month I had one of the worst breakout in my whole life. Pustule on the left cheek leaving 3 huge red marks cca 3 cms. The other ones are not getting away, I'm on 5th months, some people are allready cured and have clear skin but not me. I'm happy for you that at least you're making some progress. ;).

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 06/28/2013 8:07 am

Hey, I'm on my 4th course of isotretinoin, at varying doses and lengths, and am finally getting the results I always wanted. Keep with it and persist, you will get clear! Promise!! Strange up and downs are very common during the treatment, as are odd side effects. Some weeks you feel you're progressing, others you feel otherwise. Some people require numerous courses, some lucky ones don't. But all in all, it will eventually clear you. From my own experience also, I recommend you talking with your derm about taking a post-treatment low dose to keep a lid on things afterwards. This has proved crucial to me in remaining clear, for whenever the medication leaves my system I seem to break out again: Its possible even I will have to be on it for a number of years. I'm currently taking just 20mg every two days and its working wonders. No side effects either!

Please feel free to drop me a message if I can reassure or help you at all

Best of luck

MemberMember
(@dilettante)

Posted : 06/28/2013 11:55 am

Starting my third month. 40mg/day. My acne has been clearing up and breaking out also, though not as bad as prior to accutane. Also, new breakouts seem to clear faster. I attribute the recent break out due to stress from work/lack of sleep, and also I devoured a bag of caramel corn single-handedly. Diet seems to correlate with my breakouts, or at least makes me more susceptible to them. So hard resisting certain foods if they're right in front of you. Hopefully, after this next month, my face will be clear regardless of lifestyle.

MemberMember
(@tomasmoya)

Posted : 07/10/2013 8:03 pm

Hey, I'm on my 4th course of isotretinoin, at varying doses and lengths, and am finally getting the results I always wanted. Keep with it and persist, you will get clear! Promise!! Strange up and downs are very common during the treatment, as are odd side effects. Some weeks you feel you're progressing, others you feel otherwise. Some people require numerous courses, some lucky ones don't. But all in all, it will eventually clear you. From my own experience also, I recommend you talking with your derm about taking a post-treatment low dose to keep a lid on things afterwards. This has proved crucial to me in remaining clear, for whenever the medication leaves my system I seem to break out again: Its possible even I will have to be on it for a number of years. I'm currently taking just 20mg every two days and its working wonders. No side effects either!

Best of luck

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm on the start of the third month, and my face is getting better. The only thing that is annoying is that i had a huge red pimple that eventually went away and around it there is a large area of just this large red spot. some days it seems to fade while today for example, the red spot got larger.....It's super annoying becuase my face would look decent it just left. Is there anything I can do to prevent red spots?

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 07/10/2013 9:32 pm

On 7/11/2013 at 7:03 AM, TomasMoya said:
On 6/28/2013 at 7:07 PM, Samcro said:

Best of luck

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm on the start of the third month, and my face is getting better. The only thing that is annoying is that i had a huge red pimple that eventually went away and around it there is a large area of just this large red spot. some days it seems to fade while today for example, the red spot got larger.....It's super annoying becuase my face would look decent it just left. Is there anything I can do to prevent red spots?

Hey TomasMaya,

Thanks for your message. Happy to hear you making progress on isotretinoin. In answer to your question, I personally use ibuprofen gel (the kind thats used for sports injuries, muscle pains etc) for any persistant blighters. I apply some at any bumps and usually by the next day they are gone. I also find taking a few ibuprofen tablets helps me that little extra if I have a special occasion coming up etc. Its in no way a permament solution, and in fact doesnt work if applied constantly, but it defo brings down inflammation quicker. Give it a whirl, link below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nurofen-5%-Gel-Ibuprofen-35g/dp/B001E496GU/

Isotretinoin will eventually clear you, but give this a go in the meantime and see if it works for you too!

All the best

Rob