Notifications
Clear all

How To Deal With Morning Mirror Anxiety?

MemberMember
(@adayinthelife)

Posted : 06/25/2013 4:39 am

Every morning when I wake up, I have no idea how my skin looks and I just feel stressed until I check the mirror and notice theres not really any new developments, believe me- it would take a hell of a lot to surprise me now, I've seen everything! Some morning's I've woken up and looked in the mirror and been absolutely horrified and my confidence obliterated. What can we do to change this? I never do it straight away, I always let myself wake up first but I always feel afraid to check. Conquering this would make life easier, I remember the days before all of this and I would wake up feeling good and relaxed and ready to start the day but now every morning I wake in fright.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/25/2013 6:01 am

This happens with me too.And this is because we have a parochial approach to life.Our life revolves around acne.We give obscene amounts of attention to our acne.We don't have anything profound in our life.We don't have an aim.Acne is paramount! Nothing is tantamount to it...This would have been pardonable ,had our obsession over acne been "pari passu" with other things in life.Since this is rarely the case ,we degenerate into acne fools.

:(

As our acne inanities proliferate,our self esteem obliterates . lol

MemberMember
(@quietjamie14)

Posted : 06/25/2013 6:23 am

I've trained myself not to look in the mirror any more than is necessary to make myself look presentable. When I do look, I try to look at myself as if I were looking at a stranger - not focusing on individual blemishes but taking in the whole picture.

Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 06/25/2013 10:46 am

I'm guilty of doing this. In fact often times when I wake up in the middle of the night I check my skin to see if anything new has "developed". It's really not good for anyone's mental health.

I would recommend resisting the urge to look in the mirror gradually. Looking in the mirror is almost like an OCD routine, where you do it consistently to satisfy yourself and your compulsion. Resist for up to 10 mins, then bump it up to 15, then 20, etc. Also, I've tried doing breathing and meditation exercises. I do this all the time, not only in the morning, but I find that it puts me into a better frame of mind and helps me take on the day no matter how my skin is.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/25/2013 1:02 pm

i do that too.

at times i itch in places where i get a bump so if and when some area on my face itches even the slightest i get up and look if its a new bump.

i have used clindamycin on some itchy place at 3am in the morning!

;p

not just at night.thats what i do.

i am at home now and its easy.

when i resume work i suppose i will carry a small mirror with me, just in case!