Notifications
Clear all

Moisturizer Leaving Skin Even More Dry And Itchy?

MemberMember
(@mzkayvee)

Posted : 06/21/2013 11:47 pm

Hi All!

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and might have a possible solution. I'm 2 weeks into the regimen. I love the cleanser, the BP does its job, but when I get to the moisturizer... saywhat.gif !!!! sad.png 15 minutes or so after I put it on (as Dan suggested), it dehydrates my skin rather than making it feel moisturized and soft. I can barely move my face. It also makes my skin yellow and itchy too. I look tanner than my sister who plays football everyday. Help?? Advice?? Suggestions??

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/22/2013 5:54 am

Yeah, i had the same issue with his moisturizer. I switched to Neutrogenia for sensitive skin and its been much better so you may have to try another moisturizer. You have to realize that for the first couple of weeks and months, your skin is going to be extremely dry and uncomfortable-it's a part of this wretched process.

MemberMember
(@mzkayvee)

Posted : 06/22/2013 10:08 am

Yeah, i had the same issue with his moisturizer. I switched to Neutrogenia for sensitive skin and its been much better so you may have to try another moisturizer. You have to realize that for the first couple of weeks and months, your skin is going to be extremely dry and uncomfortable-it's a part of this wretched process.

So does that mean I should continue the regimen a little longer before switching??? How long did it take before you switched?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/22/2013 12:12 pm

i switched right away. Neutrogenia is on Dan's list for drug store substitutes so it shouldn't cause a problem. Also, jojoba was an issue for me and the moisturizer had that. Switch as soon as you can as the sample principle of skin care still apply

MemberMember
(@catalyst)

Posted : 06/22/2013 4:46 pm

It's the moisturizer it's not working for you. I suggest switching to cetaphil moisturizer and mixing jojoba oil with it.

Cetaphil alone doesn't work for me and neither does jojoba oil alone work. But when I bring the 2 together it's the perfect matrimony.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/23/2013 6:15 pm

Yea I hated the Regimen moisturizer. I liked Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture but eventually switched to just using natural oils like almond oil and evening primrose oil.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 06/23/2013 10:32 pm

The regimen moisturiser is the one that gets me clear the most, but I found it to be not moisturising enough in the early stages of the regimen (even with a gallon of jojoba oil). Try the above suggestions and see how it works for you. Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@mzkayvee)

Posted : 06/28/2013 10:55 am

i switched right away. Neutrogenia is on Dan's list for drug store substitutes so it shouldn't cause a problem. Also, jojoba was an issue for me and the moisturizer had that. Switch as soon as you can as the sample principle of skin care still apply

Okay. Maybe I'll try that out!. Hopefully it works for me as it did for you! Also, where did you find Dan's list for drug store subs? I tried looking for it, but seem to can't find it. Thanks!! ^_^

MemberMember
(@bulldogger)

Posted : 06/28/2013 3:54 pm

How much joboba oil are yall mixing with your moisturizer? I use the daily advance Cetaphil lotion and I found the same thing as catalyst: joboba and cetaphil by themselves need each other.

MemberMember
(@kevindreed)

Posted : 06/29/2013 11:58 am

I had the same issue in the beginning. Switch to cetaphil moisturizer and use jojoba oil drops.

Most moisturizers by themselves wont be strong enough to help dry skin. Its important you add jojoba oil because

it last longer on your skin and it hydrates it.

MemberMember
(@lizardanne)

Posted : 07/18/2013 9:30 am

Everyone's really had more success with Cetaphil? Their moisturizers have quite a few alcohols in them.

I feel like Dan's moisturizer does work, although it's a bit of an awkward product because you have to use so much of it and it has such an odd texture/color.

I have been burning/stinging a lot when applying the moisturizer, could this be because of the Regimen or actually the acne.org moisturizer? If it's the moisturizer I will totally switch to Cetaphil.

MemberMember
(@darksoul123)

Posted : 07/19/2013 7:06 pm

Everyone's really had more success with Cetaphil? Their moisturizers have quite a few alcohols in them.

I feel like Dan's moisturizer does work, although it's a bit of an awkward product because you have to use so much of it and it has such an odd texture/color.

I have been burning/stinging a lot when applying the moisturizer, could this be because of the Regimen or actually the acne.org moisturizer? If it's the moisturizer I will totally switch to Cetaphil.

Yes Im also having a similar experience as you I don't know if its the mositrizer itself that is fainting the color of the skin...

MemberMember
(@lizardanne)

Posted : 07/19/2013 7:12 pm

Yes Im also having a similar experience as you I don't know if its the mositrizer itself that is fainting the color of the skin...

It might be; I've read a lot of posts where people claim it does. I have yellow undertones (olive skin), so it doesn't really bother me, but a lot of people complain that the moisturizer makes them yellow. It's also important to note though that BP can temporarily change the color of your skin while you're using it, so who knows!

MemberMember
(@darksoul123)

Posted : 07/19/2013 7:29 pm

It might be; I've read a lot of posts where people claim it does. I have yellow undertones (olive skin), so it doesn't really bother me, but a lot of people complain that the moisturizer makes them yellow. It's also important to note though that BP can temporarily change the color of your skin while you're using it, so who knows!

If the BP changed the color temprairly how long does the for the skin to return to its orginal color? or what you can do to level the tone?

MemberMember
(@lizardanne)

Posted : 07/19/2013 7:59 pm

If the BP changed the color temprairly how long does the for the skin to return to its orginal color? or what you can do to level the tone?

According to the information that comes with it, your skin will return to its original color once you stop using BP. Is your skin darker or just yellower? If it's yellow then it's probably the moisturizer sitting on your skin, and if not then it might be a side effect of the BP.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 07/19/2013 8:43 pm

If you're using dans moisturizer and your skin is burning, it's because it's dry and irritated from the Bp. As your skin adjusts to bp the burning and or itching sensation starts to lessen.

There are some moisturizers that heighten the burning sensation for some people but not for others (eg I couldn't use cerave because of the burning but others swear by it). The trick is to just get through this stage as it all goes away eventually.

The yellowing of the skin would be mainly that the moisturizer hasn't fully absorbed bit the redness

Is definitely from Bp. That should lessen too over time as your skin adjusts.

My face is always red for an hour after applying Bp but then it goes back to normal and that's after using Bp for a year and a half.

MemberMember
(@darksoul123)

Posted : 07/19/2013 9:49 pm

If you're using dans moisturizer and your skin is burning, it's because it's dry and irritated from the Bp. As your skin adjusts to bp the burning and or itching sensation starts to lessen.

There are some moisturizers that heighten the burning sensation for some people but not for others (eg I couldn't use cerave because of the burning but others swear by it). The trick is to just get through this stage as it all goes away eventually.

The yellowing of the skin would be mainly that the moisturizer hasn't fully absorbed bit the redness

Is definitely from Bp. That should lessen too over time as your skin adjusts.

My face is always red for an hour after applying Bp but then it goes back to normal and that's after using Bp for a year and a half.

So the dark patches that are on my forhead and now forming on my cheeks is that dead skin?. And when your skin is red should you lessen the BP does or just maintain the same dosage?

Oh if your skin is that much irratated should you introduce AHA yet or wait it out?

According to the information that comes with it, your skin will return to its original color once you stop using BP. Is your skin darker or just yellower? If it's yellow then it's probably the moisturizer sitting on your skin, and if not then it might be a side effect of the BP.

It is more browisnh kind of dark skin... All i can say is it looks like dead skin kinda dryness. What embrassing is that my hair lid area is kinda lighter than my whole face which looks like I got sun burnt... and I look like a tomato :(

MemberMember
(@lizardanne)

Posted : 07/19/2013 10:50 pm

It's probably just your skin getting used to the Regimen. I feel your pain man, my skin is very dry and red as well, and only in my problem areas, even though I do the Regimen everywhere. Still makes for very uneven skin, but hey, it was already like that before. Mine's not brownish, but yours might just be reacting differently. My skin's never reacted that way to anything, just red. I can't even seem to cover it anymore. It's so intense, but a fun experiment at least!

MemberMember
(@darksoul123)

Posted : 07/19/2013 11:01 pm

It's probably just your skin getting used to the Regimen. I feel your pain man, my skin is very dry and red as well, and only in my problem areas, even though I do the Regimen everywhere. Still makes for very uneven skin, but hey, it was already like that before. Mine's not brownish, but yours might just be reacting differently. My skin's never reacted that way to anything, just red. I can't even seem to cover it anymore. It's so intense, but a fun experiment at least!

Do you think it is necessay to apply Sunscreen because I know i had prolonged contact with the sun so that probably could be my skin is reacting this way.. I hear all mix reviews about suncreens..

MemberMember
(@lizardanne)

Posted : 07/19/2013 11:06 pm

Do you think it is necessay to apply Sunscreen because I know i had prolonged contact with the sun so that probably could be my skin is reacting this way.. I hear all mix reviews about suncreens..

If you're in the sun a lot, that's absolutely a good idea. BP makes your skin very photosensitive and that actually might be contributing to your darkened complexion. A lot of sunscreens can clog pores. When I know I'm going to be out in the sun for longer than 15-20 minutes, I use Philosophy Hope In A Jar SPF 30. It has no comedogenic ingredients in it whatsoever. I just mix it with the moisturizer or jojoba oil and I'm good to go! The only thing is that it's about $40 a tube, but it's definitely worth the price, since it won't hurt your skin and it lasts forever when you mix it with other product. I've also heard that Olay makes a pretty good sunscreen.

MemberMember
(@darksoul123)

Posted : 07/19/2013 11:27 pm

If you're in the sun a lot, that's absolutely a good idea. BP makes your skin very photosensitive and that actually might be contributing to your darkened complexion. A lot of sunscreens can clog pores. When I know I'm going to be out in the sun for longer than 15-20 minutes, I use Philosophy Hope In A Jar SPF 30. It has no comedogenic ingredients in it whatsoever. I just mix it with the moisturizer or jojoba oil and I'm good to go! The only thing is that it's about $40 a tube, but it's definitely worth the price, since it won't hurt your skin and it lasts forever when you mix it with other product. I've also heard that Olay makes a pretty good sunscreen.

So with the stifness of the skin do you think it will be subside as time goes on? ....

MemberMember
(@lizardanne)

Posted : 07/20/2013 8:44 am

Yes, absolutely. I've been told that the first 1-2 months of the Regimen can be pretty uncomfortable in that way, but it should subside. I'm only on week 3 haha.

MemberMember
(@darksoul123)

Posted : 07/20/2013 12:06 pm

Yes, absolutely. I've been told that the first 1-2 months of the Regimen can be pretty uncomfortable in that way, but it should subside. I'm only on week 3 haha.

Im going to try Olay Complete for sensitive skin SP 15 and see how my skin reacts..

MemberMember
(@darksoul123)

Posted : 07/20/2013 12:55 pm

Okay. Maybe I'll try that out!. Hopefully it works for me as it did for you! Also, where did you find Dan's list for drug store subs? I tried looking for it, but seem to can't find it. Thanks!! amused.gif

Here is the list of Moisturizers that Dan's recommends and the one's he warned about.

http://www.acne.org/supplies-guide.inc.html