Notifications
Clear all

Raw Liver For Optimum Health

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 05/23/2013 5:42 pm

To improve my health, I'm ditching all manufactured supplements and opting for raw liver. 150 grams, once a week.

Why liver and why raw?

• Liver is one of the most concentrated sources of Vitamin A
  • It contains all the B vitamins in abundance, particularly vitamin B12 if consumed raw
  • It's one of our best sources of folic acid
  • Contains a highly usable form of iron
  • Contains trace elements such as zinc and chromium
  • Liver is our best source of copper
  • Rich in CoQ10, a nutrient that is especially important for cardio-vascular function if consumed raw.

This evening I ate raw liver for the first time. For palatability, I cut it in very tiny pieces and mixed it in a bowl of cooked vegetables and cooked meat. It was a tasty supper.

I'll be eating raw liver once a week with the intention of improving general health, including skin. I'll take photographs and track what benefits, if any, raw liver adds to my complexion.

Have you had any experiences with raw liver?

Update 1 - June 13, 2013 Keratosis pilaris (tiny bumps that prodcue white, grain-like sebum) on my chin has greatly reduced. It can no be felt and a few bumps can only be seen when my face is practically pressed to the mirror. See below for details.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/24/2013 1:14 am

I have ate cooked beef liver. It tasted incredibly disgusting to me

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/24/2013 6:44 am

no.

raw?

i have cooked chicken or mutton liver now and then.its sold along with the meat actually.

but i dont think i will ever have it raw.

we r homo sapiens sapiens and our body,our clan is evolved to eat cooked food(certain things like meat,fish are among those food).

raw consumption is applicable only on things like veggies,fruits etc but just like i cant have lentils raw,i dont think i can have raw.

its a separate story that i cant take it raw - for the look,the rawness feel and the smell may be.

that is my opinion of course.but i wish the best with ur experiment.

i hope u see good results.

but i have a question for u,why do u take it raw?

do u think cooking decreases the amount of nurients and health quotient in it a great deal?

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/24/2013 7:58 pm

no.

raw?

i have cooked chicken or mutton liver now and then.its sold along with the meat actually.

we r homo sapiens sapiens and our body,our clan is evolved to eat cooked food(certain things like meat,fish are among those food).

raw consumption is applicable only on things like veggies,fruits etc but just like i cant have lentils raw,i dont think i can have raw.

its a separate story that i cant take it raw - for the look,the rawness feel and the smell may be.

do u think cooking decreases the amount of nurients and health quotient in it a great deal?

Umm, this is wrong. We have been eating raw meat for many years (way more than cooking the meat)

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/25/2013 2:40 am

no.

raw?

Umm, this is wrong. We have been eating raw meat for many years (way more than cooking the meat)

We?

as in u mean u or human race?

like i have stated above ,as far as i know man has evolved to eat some things cooked and some others raw.

there are stuff in some items which doesnt need cooking like say water melon but raw liver.

i am only stating what i know.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/25/2013 5:12 pm

Eating liver raw is recommended by many holistic dietitians. A good method is keeping the liver in the freezer, grating pieces off and then just taking it like a pill, with water.

I love cooked liver, but haven't tried it raw. I plan to give it a try sometime though. Cooking it takes out a lot of the benefits.

MemberMember
(@bessthe-a)

Posted : 05/25/2013 9:10 pm

Steak tartare anyone?

MemberMember
(@stellamarch16)

Posted : 06/02/2013 8:01 am

I somehow cant stand the taste of cooked liver forget having it raw. I agree liver does have very high levels of Vitamin A, but dont you think it is risky to have raw liver as there might be toxins in it, which can only be gotten rid of by cooking.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/02/2013 10:03 am

to mention :

i only have cooked chicken liver

MemberMember
(@supermachii)

Posted : 06/02/2013 10:51 am

I hope you'll keep your promise and post a picture a week for atleast 6 months, that's atleast 24 pictures.

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 06/04/2013 5:50 pm

I somehow cant stand the taste of cooked liver forget having it raw. I agree liver does have very high levels of Vitamin A, but dont you think it is risky to have raw liver as there might be toxins in it, which can only be gotten rid of by cooking.

What toxins?

I hope you'll keep your promise and post a picture a week for atleast 6 months, that's atleast 24 pictures.

I have been taking pictures. I will be posting them in this thread monthly. In the meantime, check my gallery for an album called "The Effects of Eating Raw Liver."

Update: eating raw liver is going great. I feel so energized and happy after scoffing some down.

And instead of eating 150 grams once a week, I now eat 100 grams twice a week. I like it that much!

MemberMember
(@tommyhaynes96)

Posted : 06/05/2013 1:17 am

I can somehow manage to keep down cooked liver, but to eat raw liver seems unthinkable. I agree that liver is high in Vitamin A and has other health benefits, but I still believe that eating it raw cant be healthy.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/05/2013 1:26 am

pls be careful about excess vitamin A.

good luck!

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 06/06/2013 6:21 pm

liver from animals exposed antibiotics, isnt what it used to be. id fully cook it. even then, its iffy. the heart is much better as it doesnt absorb all the intestinal toxins from the gut.

yea the heart has more co q 10 too, and almost as much iron.

MemberMember
(@solveanceforever)

Posted : 06/06/2013 6:44 pm

manufactured supplements are trash. you can eat anything, doesnt have to be raw, this is ridiculous

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 06/07/2013 1:36 pm

liver from animals exposed antibiotics, isnt what it used to be. id fully cook it. even then, its iffy. the heart is much better as it doesnt absorb all the intestinal toxins from the gut.

I'm eating grass-fed lamb and goat liver raised by local peasant farmers in the countryside. It's as fresh and as organic as you can get. No antibiotics in these animals.

I do eat heart meat, it's delicious!

I've been reading widely about eating raw liver and I've concluded that it's not dangerous. (By the way, eating raw liver isn't something I've just made up - it's something that has been practised widely in various cultures in Africa, South America, and the Northern Hemisphere.)

From research, I've learned that even though liver processes toxins, it does not store them; instead it transfers them to fatty tissue. Meaning that if you're afraid of eating liver because of toxins, you might as well be afriad of eating all other meat parts. Please see this article for further information.

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 06/07/2013 3:03 pm

Raw liver can be dangerous to eat. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2553335/

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/07/2013 3:16 pm

I'm eating grass-fed lamb and goat liver raised by local peasant farmers in the countryside. It's as fresh and as organic as you can get. No antibiotics in these animals.

I've been reading widely about eating raw liver and I've concluded that it's not dangerous. (By the way, eating raw liver isn't something I've just made up - it's something that has been practised widely in various cultures in Africa, South America, and the Northern Hemisphere.)

From research, I've learned that even though liver processes toxins, it does not store them; instead it transfers them to fatty tissue. Meaning that if you're afraid of eating liver because of toxins, you might as well be afriad of eating all other meat parts. Please see this article for further information.

Are these amish farmers, if you do not mind me asking? Also where do you live?

I may have found a source that has legit food!

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 06/07/2013 6:15 pm

you are correct, raw liver i recall is something that is eaten regularly around the world and less in industrialized countries..but from animals that have been verified freshly killed. so you still take a big chance for the meat to contain some pathogenic bacteria from mishandling , but as long as you know your source.

i have noticed that i have never had very much toxic effects from liver as i have from vitamin a supps. i have had some toxic effects from liver, but far less then supps, i think its the mineral content like iron and maybe zinc. those minerals boost retinoid binding protiens which help deliver vitamin a around the body, so this may be one reason.

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 06/09/2013 3:40 am

This is our baseline photograph for this experiment. It was taken May 26, 2013.

I took this photo this morning, June 9. I'm still sleepy and blurry eyed, haven't washed my face or anything.

Note that one pic was taken in brighter lighting. Otherwise, there is no difference; there have been no changes. Face still looks the same.
MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 06/12/2013 7:31 pm

First sign of progress: keratosis pilaris disappearing.

What's interesting is that KP hasn't been on my priority of things to fix because I accepted long ago that it was a genetic condition that I couldn't affect. KP's been bugging me since I was 12 and it's been a weekly struggle to extract the white shit that hardens on my chin. I've had it on my nose as well, but the one on the chin is the most disturbing and it requires intense weekly manual exfoliation.

During my washing up routine today I saw that there was nothing to exfoliate. A lot of the bumps have disappered; there are a few tinier than usual bumps remaining but these can't even be felt with my finger. The last time I washed my face - last week - I do recall squeezing and exfoliating, so this is a new development.

KP is tiny and hard to capture in photographs so it's not possible to compare before/after shots. You'll just have to take my word for it that my chin is smooth! Must be the Vitamin A.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/13/2013 5:11 am

i had kp on my hands.and they disappeared or at least lessened after i increased my water in take and led a healthy life full of fruits/veggies/lentils/proteins!!

MemberMember
(@iconzz)

Posted : 07/28/2013 4:54 am

raw??? i think more prob of getting infections... cookin kills the microbes.. n worm infestation possible.. cos larva of worms ..