Notifications
Clear all

Obsession With New Scars - Will They Ever Go Away? 🙁

MemberMember
(@amcguill)

Posted : 04/21/2013 8:43 pm

Hello! So I have recently had a horrible breakout - the worst I've ever had. It's finally going away after going to a dermatologist - I'm on antibiotics right now and Retin-A. I've been left with a ton of red marks (which I don't mind because they'll fade) - and some scars! :( Before the breakout I had a couple tiny scars, but nothing that bothered me at all. Now I have a few (quite shallow but there) boxcar and rolling scars on my cheeks. I know this sounds dramatic but I'm devastated. I look at my reflection all day long...it's turned into an obsession. My next dermatologist appointment is in a couple of months, so I thought I would ask you all: do acne scars fade on their own? I don't think I can afford laser treatment (I'm 19 for the record). Is there anything I can do to make them go away that will really work? I'm freaking out..

MemberMember
(@panos)

Posted : 04/21/2013 10:17 pm

Yeah they do.Keep yourself into a regenerating state.

Search into curezone forum about scar tissue.

White iodine works wonders for me but the scars are not atrophical.

Still iodine is the only thing so far that regenerates the skin .Most of others methods here just alter the appearence of the scar.

Dont believe in the shit that they sell you which is the phrase ''nothing can be done''..

Go out enjoy the life while being on your own hollistic treatments.Dig into iodine ,cause that is what works so far and real.

Also derma needling will improve your scars.

Its all about regeneration.Find what blocks your regeneration state(thyroid for example plays a huge role to circulation and healing.)

Make sure to give a good lesson to other inflammation in your body ,so the body will concentrate and augment the results

of your treatments.You are young man.Go for it!

MemberMember
(@amcguill)

Posted : 04/22/2013 9:24 pm

Yeah they do.Keep yourself into a regenerating state.

Search into curezone forum about scar tissue.

White iodine works wonders for me but the scars are not atrophical.

Still iodine is the only thing so far that regenerates the skin .Most of others methods here just alter the appearence of the scar.

Dont believe in the shit that they sell you which is the phrase ''nothing can be done''..

Go out enjoy the life while being on your own hollistic treatments.Dig into iodine ,cause that is what works so far and real.

Also derma needling will improve your scars.

Its all about regeneration.Find what blocks your regeneration state(thyroid for example plays a huge role to circulation and healing.)

Make sure to give a good lesson to other inflammation in your body ,so the body will concentrate and augment the results

of your treatments.You are young man.Go for it!

Hey,

Thanks for responding. I looked into iodine and it sounds like it only works for hypertrophic scars though? I have heard pretty good things about derma rolling too but I really don't want to mess up my face by needling wrong. Are there any chemical peels which might actually work? Is it maybe even possible that the scars could smooth out on their own (especially because I'm using Retin A)?

I can't stop thinking about this. Redness I can take - but real scars? I feel permanently disfigured...this year has been really hard on me and I don't know how much more I can take.

MemberMember
(@nuby3)

Posted : 04/22/2013 9:50 pm

I am 32 and in the same boat as you are, but I am older and less capable of healing. I had a few scars here and there, but nothing that bothered me. I was training very hard and I ran 8 full marathons in just over 3 years and I am getting ready to run across the state of Texas this next winter. I was putting in 8 - 9 hours worth of training a day with running and lifting combined, and I broke out and now my face is effed. I'm going through a lot of tough stuff also, and the sudden effed up face has me pretty beat up. "what ifs" like crazy. maybe it could have been avoided. Needling is the best thing I have done. It's slow, but the results are real, and honestly, once you get used to it, I think it's really easy. Just start out with a .5mm roller. there isn't much you could do to screw up with that. then graduate to a 1mm when you get comfy, and then get a 1.5mm stamp to hit the problem areas when you get even more comfy. that's what I did. the key is eating very healthy. plenty of fruits and veggies and plenty of fresh clean water. plenty of vitamin c, and I use copper peptides and and retinol post roll, nothing strong, just a retinol cream from the grocery store. take msm and hyaluronic acid supplements and zinc and l-proline and plenty of vitamin c like I said before. if you want improve the scarring. just make sure not to roll over any existing acne. make sure acne is gone before you roll. never inflame something that is already inflamed. hang in there buddy. I am starting to get used to the fact that I am scarred now, after about 7 months since I became scarred. it takes time. don't let it destroy you. you are still the same guy you were before. believe that.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 04/23/2013 8:30 am

I am 32 and in the same boat as you are, but I am older and less capable of healing. I had a few scars here and there, but nothing that bothered me. I was training very hard and I ran 8 full marathons in just over 3 years and I am getting ready to run across the state of Texas this next winter. I was putting in 8 - 9 hours worth of training a day with running and lifting combined, and I broke out and now my face is effed. I'm going through a lot of tough stuff also, and the sudden effed up face has me pretty beat up. "what ifs" like crazy. maybe it could have been avoided. Needling is the best thing I have done. It's slow, but the results are real, and honestly, once you get used to it, I think it's really easy. Just start out with a .5mm roller. there isn't much you could do to screw up with that. then graduate to a 1mm when you get comfy, and then get a 1.5mm stamp to hit the problem areas when you get even more comfy. that's what I did. the key is eating very healthy. plenty of fruits and veggies and plenty of fresh clean water. plenty of vitamin c, and I use copper peptides and and retinol post roll, nothing strong, just a retinol cream from the grocery store. take msm and hyaluronic acid supplements and zinc and l-proline and plenty of vitamin c like I said before. if you want improve the scarring. just make sure not to roll over any existing acne. make sure acne is gone before you roll. never inflame something that is already inflamed. hang in there buddy. I am starting to get used to the fact that I am scarred now, after about 7 months since I became scarred. it takes time. don't let it destroy you. you are still the same guy you were before. believe that.

Glad to know you've got improvement. :) How often do you roll, and what kind of scarring did/do you have?

MemberMember
(@nuby3)

Posted : 04/23/2013 10:36 am

well, at first I think I was rolling too often. I had ordered a .5mm roller but they sent me a 1mm instead, and I had no idea because I didn't see it on the label before I threw the box away or something and I just assumed it was what I had ordered. so I rolled once every 7 to 10 days with a 1mm roller thinking it was a .5. then I ordered another .5mm to replace the one I was using, and it was clear that the needles were much smaller. so, that's when I figured out that I had been rolling with a 1mm. : ) I'm glad it happened, to be honest, because my results were good with the 1mm and it tricked me into doing what was better for my scars sooner, I guess. So then I started rolling once every 7-10 days with the 1mm and doing in-between rolls with the .5mm. after about 3 months of that, I decided to give my face as well as my mind a break and not do treatments for a bit. so I took about 4-6 weeks off. then I stopped seeing the drastic improvements, and I became determined to start rolling again and see more improvements so I ordered a 1.5mm stamp and started doing 1mm rolls with 1.5 spot treatment every 7-10 days, and in between rolls with the .5 for topical absorbtion, but I think I might have been spacing things too closely together once I introduced the 1.5 stamping. I did that for about 6 weeks and then I took a break for 2 weeks and did a TCA cross, and I haven't needled obviously since I did the cross, which was 16 days ago. now I am just healing and applying topicals. I'm planning on getting back to the needling in a couple of weeks, so I just ordered a 1.5mm roller and some numbing cream and I'm gonna try that out, but still use my stamp for aggressive treatment of problem areas, but I'm only gonna go the 1.5 roll once every 4-6 weeks. I think I will take about a week off after the 1.5 rolls and then do .5mm rolls for topical absorbtion 2-3 times per week depending on how my face is reacting, and throw a 1mm roll in there after 2 or 3 weeks spaced in between the 1.5mm rolls. I'm still kind of figuring out how to maximize results while still giving my face plenty of room to heal. It's a work in progress. : ) I have one sharp boxcar, and some shallow ice picks, and a few larger ice picks, but not that I would consider severe. on my left cheek I have a bunch of shallow ice picks all bunched together and in one spot they are so clustered they open up into a boxcar type thing with peaks and valleys in it. but they are on the shallower side. I have two scars on my left side near the jawline that are from in-grown hairs I dug out, they kinda resemble large chicken pox scars, big open saucers. one of them is hard to see already, while the bigger one has shown about a 50% improvement. It's not really that deep any more, but it is hypopigmented so it sticks out like a sore thumb. The main problem for me, was that due to repeated zits in the same area, I had developed a large sunken in area under my right eye that made me look I had something seriously wrong with me. It looked like part of my cheek was missing and I had developed a brutal wrinkle from smiling so much that I thought could not ever get better. Slowly, but surely, and especially since I employed the 1.5mm stamp, the pit under my eye has been filling back in and puffing back out, and I have even seen the large smile wrinkle start to diminish. If it's working for the problem I had, I am convinced it can work for anybody. The boxcar still has it's edges, but has filled in a lot and in some lighting you can't see it that well. in other lighting, it's obviously there, but the improvements are certainly real. I had another hypopigmented chicken pox looking scar on my right side near my ear, and it is totally gone. even the hypopigmentation is gone. I roll aggressively. I want to make sure I get all of the little ice picks that are scattered everywhere nice and good. They are softening, slowly but surely. maybe I will never make them go away but they are at least improving, and the rolling has made all of my skin as a whole much better and healthier and so I don't see what there is to be afraid of. I will likely never stop rolling ever, for the rest of my life. Even if my scars become invisible because it has been that good for my skin. But you have to eat healthy and you have to get the right supplements to help from the inside. your skin is the last place to get nutrition after the rest of your vital organs and muscles, so it takes a LOT of nutrition over a LONG period of time to see the difference in your skin from a healthy diet. You have to have faith. sometimes you will think nothing is getting better for a few weeks, and then all of a sudden you will see it get better literally overnight for a few days or weeks even, and then it will level off again. roller coaster. have faith. eat healthy, DO NOT SMOKE, and stay with treatments. TCA cross really seems to work too, I got some good improvement from that, but it is WAY more invasive and way more risky than needling. I did it with 50% TCA and it worked great. I probably would never use 100% since the 50% worked so well for me. You have to watch the frost. you want the frost to stay for 30 minutes and then go away. if it disappears in 10 or 15 minutes, you can add a TINY bit more acid. if it stays frosted for more than 45 minutes you put too much. hope this helped. : )

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 04/26/2013 1:33 am

well, at first I think I was rolling too often. I had ordered a .5mm roller but they sent me a 1mm instead, and I had no idea because I didn't see it on the label before I threw the box away or something and I just assumed it was what I had ordered. so I rolled once every 7 to 10 days with a 1mm roller thinking it was a .5. then I ordered another .5mm to replace the one I was using, and it was clear that the needles were much smaller. so, that's when I figured out that I had been rolling with a 1mm. : ) I'm glad it happened, to be honest, because my results were good with the 1mm and it tricked me into doing what was better for my scars sooner, I guess. So then I started rolling once every 7-10 days with the 1mm and doing in-between rolls with the .5mm. after about 3 months of that, I decided to give my face as well as my mind a break and not do treatments for a bit. so I took about 4-6 weeks off. then I stopped seeing the drastic improvements, and I became determined to start rolling again and see more improvements so I ordered a 1.5mm stamp and started doing 1mm rolls with 1.5 spot treatment every 7-10 days, and in between rolls with the .5 for topical absorbtion, but I think I might have been spacing things too closely together once I introduced the 1.5 stamping. I did that for about 6 weeks and then I took a break for 2 weeks and did a TCA cross, and I haven't needled obviously since I did the cross, which was 16 days ago. now I am just healing and applying topicals. I'm planning on getting back to the needling in a couple of weeks, so I just ordered a 1.5mm roller and some numbing cream and I'm gonna try that out, but still use my stamp for aggressive treatment of problem areas, but I'm only gonna go the 1.5 roll once every 4-6 weeks. I think I will take about a week off after the 1.5 rolls and then do .5mm rolls for topical absorbtion 2-3 times per week depending on how my face is reacting, and throw a 1mm roll in there after 2 or 3 weeks spaced in between the 1.5mm rolls. I'm still kind of figuring out how to maximize results while still giving my face plenty of room to heal. It's a work in progress. : ) I have one sharp boxcar, and some shallow ice picks, and a few larger ice picks, but not that I would consider severe. on my left cheek I have a bunch of shallow ice picks all bunched together and in one spot they are so clustered they open up into a boxcar type thing with peaks and valleys in it. but they are on the shallower side. I have two scars on my left side near the jawline that are from in-grown hairs I dug out, they kinda resemble large chicken pox scars, big open saucers. one of them is hard to see already, while the bigger one has shown about a 50% improvement. It's not really that deep any more, but it is hypopigmented so it sticks out like a sore thumb. The main problem for me, was that due to repeated zits in the same area, I had developed a large sunken in area under my right eye that made me look I had something seriously wrong with me. It looked like part of my cheek was missing and I had developed a brutal wrinkle from smiling so much that I thought could not ever get better. Slowly, but surely, and especially since I employed the 1.5mm stamp, the pit under my eye has been filling back in and puffing back out, and I have even seen the large smile wrinkle start to diminish. If it's working for the problem I had, I am convinced it can work for anybody. The boxcar still has it's edges, but has filled in a lot and in some lighting you can't see it that well. in other lighting, it's obviously there, but the improvements are certainly real. I had another hypopigmented chicken pox looking scar on my right side near my ear, and it is totally gone. even the hypopigmentation is gone. I roll aggressively. I want to make sure I get all of the little ice picks that are scattered everywhere nice and good. They are softening, slowly but surely. maybe I will never make them go away but they are at least improving, and the rolling has made all of my skin as a whole much better and healthier and so I don't see what there is to be afraid of. I will likely never stop rolling ever, for the rest of my life. Even if my scars become invisible because it has been that good for my skin. But you have to eat healthy and you have to get the right supplements to help from the inside. your skin is the last place to get nutrition after the rest of your vital organs and muscles, so it takes a LOT of nutrition over a LONG period of time to see the difference in your skin from a healthy diet. You have to have faith. sometimes you will think nothing is getting better for a few weeks, and then all of a sudden you will see it get better literally overnight for a few days or weeks even, and then it will level off again. roller coaster. have faith. eat healthy, DO NOT SMOKE, and stay with treatments. TCA cross really seems to work too, I got some good improvement from that, but it is WAY more invasive and way more risky than needling. I did it with 50% TCA and it worked great. I probably would never use 100% since the 50% worked so well for me. You have to watch the frost. you want the frost to stay for 30 minutes and then go away. if it disappears in 10 or 15 minutes, you can add a TINY bit more acid. if it stays frosted for more than 45 minutes you put too much. hope this helped. : )

I think you should give your skin a break soon and see what happens when you stop rolling for at least a month. Most people recommend rolling only every 3-6 weeks, because collagen synthesis takes time and the skin needs to recover from the trauma (and produce collagen) between rolls. I think it's a good idea not to roll more often than every three weeks with a 1.0 or 1.5 roller. This is a very comprehensive and useful guide to dermarolling, which includes pretty much everything. Good luck. smile.png

MemberMember
(@nuby3)

Posted : 04/26/2013 7:32 pm

I think you should give your skin a break soon and see what happens when you stop rolling for at least a month. Most people recommend rolling only every 3-6 weeks, because collagen synthesis takes time and the skin needs to recover from the trauma (and produce collagen) between rolls. I think it's a good idea not to roll more often than every three weeks with a 1.0 or 1.5 roller. This is a very comprehensive and useful guide to dermarolling, which includes pretty much everything. Good luck. smile.png

yes, I have realized that now. I have been starting to space things out more, and am planning to do more spacing. thanks very much for the advice.

MemberMember
(@crystalized)

Posted : 04/27/2013 6:19 am

After rolling for a week or so you will have micro-swelling which actually makes your skin look WAY better, but it's important to remember that micro-swelling is just a reaction to the trauma of rolling and during that swelling period your skin is in an inflamed state. Therefore, if you rolled every 2-3 weeks with a 1.5mm roller you would feel as if the results are good but ultimately the only progress you are seeing is temporary micro-swelling and you are in fact damaging your skin by rolling it so frequently that it doesn't have time to heal properly between sessions.

I concur with austra that the Owndoc dermarolling insutrctions PDF is a good resource and essential reading for anyone who wants to try rolling.